My costume Jewellery

This post has 203 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 3, 2012 2:34 PM

yeah i am frustrated at d moment... till then i will pass my time making a peacock feather from seed beads.. hope i get some inspiration in making it since i havent got any instructions on internet.. :) 

from where do u get the free pdfs?? 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 3, 2012 3:28 PM

I know the feeling!!!!

From here, from Jewelry making Daily and from other jewlry websites like Artbeads, Lima Beads, Beadaholique, etc., etc.  All of those jewelry sites have free patterns you can use and adapt.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 4, 2012 12:15 PM

cool!! :) say val which kind of beads do u mostly use in ur crafts??? i prefer seed beads.. I have some pdfs too i downloaded them from favcrafts, freepatterns.com etc.. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 2:37 AM

If I'm using seed beads at all any longer, they're usually as spacers or fillers.  I have been tying sewing again, but the pain it causes me in my thumb is just not woth it.

I prefer to use glass, semiprecious stones, crystal and lucite.  I guess you could say I'm kind of a snob because I really don't like plastic.  I don't care how they try to jazz plastic up, it looks cheap to me.  Lucite is different because it's a composite material.  It frequently can pass for either glass or porcelain,  That's why I'm all right with working with it.  Glass is just so.......beautiful really, for lack of a better adjective.  It's a very malleable material.  You can design so may extraordinary things with it: take Debbie's exquisite little lampwork flowers, for instance.  I have a mega hang-up with lampwork beads(not the bumpy ones; they're dopey!)  They're so delicate and antique-y looking.  They're always a beautiful accent to a vintage piece I'm designing.  And semiprecious stones?  Fuggedaboudit!  Agates and jaspers and turquoise, oh my!  How's a girl to choose?  So many choices, so little money!(lol)  I got these purple teardrop lacy agates that I am INSANE-O over!  And I just got some Red Creek jasper.  Droooooool!Stick out tongue

Then of course, there's crystal.  Whether it's the lovely Czech crystal(which is what I can usually afford) or the to-die-for Swarovski(which I can get when they have a REALLYgood sale), I love the pretty colors and the sparkliness.  I'm like a magpie- I see pretty and shiny-- peck! gotta have it!(lol)

Okay, now that I've made you thoroughly nauseous, mostly what I've been doing lately has been wireworking.  I really enjoy it, and sometimes banging away on my benchblock helps me get rid of some of my frustrations.Big Smile  I want to get some waxed linen thread so I can do some braiding.  I'm thinking that might not bother my thumb- I hope.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 5, 2012 1:45 PM

Surprise You know about so many types of beads!! I dont know about even half of them.. All i know about is garnet, pearls, swarovski, seed beads, antique beads and golden beads.. 

I am drooling with desire for all these beads!! 

I use the bed for beading.. no study tables here to take my frustration out unless you count my hubby dear's computer chair to kick around Big Smile 

I hope so too that you might find it easy to use it... :)  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 5, 2012 3:42 PM

That is because I'm a bead fiend!!!!Wink  I just found out if I go to my local JoAn Fabric and Craft I can get a nice, hefty bag of sea glass for around $4, or about INR207.  I couldn't be more delighted, as I LOVE playing with sea glass!

I need to look into making myself a bed tray so I can bead in bed, too.  Kicking hub's chair not a bad idea; kicking hub might be even better!(lol!)

Well, it all comes down to trial and error.  Really wish the pain would stop.  Guess it's going to be a very long, slow healing process.  Problem is, I've never been the most patient person in the universe.Sad

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 7, 2012 11:35 AM

Join the club when its patience regarding any injury or pain... I would love to have some bowls to keep my stuff in while beading... it will b easier for me to differentiate amongst colours... That sounds cool... 

I went to meet my parents yesterday.. Found some of my bead stash along with some work I did before marriage... Will post the pictures tomorrow.. seems like i wont get the same material ever again.. :( 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 8, 2012 2:25 AM

My sister and her youngest daughter came up to spend the holiday weekend with my parents and I, so that was great.  Sophie is 4.  She has these beautiful ringlets of hair; so curly!  She is so funny!  The things that come out of her mouth!  She's adorable.

I'm just so tired of relying on painkillers to get through my day, but I no longer have a choice.  Sometimes I will hold off as long as I can;because I'm so terrified of becoming addicted.  So I'm kinda damned if I do, damned if I don't.  Oh well........

Funny what we fing thae we leave behind sometimes.  Oh dear, the stores aren'tcarrying the colour you need?  Jerks!  Poop on them!  Hope you can work things out in spite of it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 8, 2012 10:02 AM

Val there's a saying that when the good phase of life passes then the bad phase turns up and vice-versa. One should have faith during these bad times to look forward to good times... Don't give up because of medicines. You are in pain but it will go away. You just have to trust on yourself and medics to heal you soon enough. 

Your niece sounds cute to me Big Smile

Well here are some necklaces I made before getting married. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 1:35 AM

OMG, how am i supposed to pick my favourite, Gopika?!  You are mean!!(LOL)  If I must truly pick, the green one at the top, and the red one are my absolute favourites, but I really really really love the purple ones too.(duh! lol)

Katy and Sophie had to go home today, but we'll all be getting together again next month for Thanksgiving.  Then I'll have all four of my girls!  Sophie is just the funniest little girl.  I introduced her to the animated movie "Monsters vs Aliens."  You'd think I'd given her a winning lottery ticket.(g)  She absolutely LOVED the movie. I'm not much for aniated movies but every once in awhile they'll make one I actually find humorous.  This is one of them.  I just find it hysterical.  Plus I love Hugh Laurie, who does the voice of Dr. Cockroach!

I've grown accustomed to the fact that the painkillers are always going to be part of my life, whether I like it or not.  The spinal damage is irrepairable. My knees will probably be replaced in a couple years.  Hey, my brother has learned to get by with ery limited use of one arm; I guess I can hang in there, too.

BTW, Sophie looks EXACTLY like Shirley Temple!  Seriously!  She even likes to dance and sing Shirley Temple songs!  She is just too much!Big Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 9, 2012 12:15 PM

hehehehehe Val... Choose whichever you like.. 

I like animated movies.. Sophie will be a beautiful kid when she grows up :)  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Oct 9, 2012 12:52 PM

Sorry to interrupt your conversation, but I just wanted to throw in a little suggestion about beading in bed-something I do more often than in my craft room. I went to the dollar store and picked up a 10"x8" picture frame and took out the fake photo and the glass-be careful. I trimmed one of my beading mats-or you can use some other material with a decent nap, like velvet-and put it back together like: frame, mat, cardboard backing-oh and I removed the little hanging bit of metal and the folding thing for propping up the frame to make it flat. I originally had kept the glass for more structure for a base but that didn't last long as I broke the glass-not fun! Just keep in mind that you might have to fight with the frame a bit to get something as thick as the mat to go in. Also, if you don't mind the tiny dips created by staples, you could staple the mat to the backboard first or even glue it first then attach them back to the frame. The thing I love about using a frame is that the edges keep the beads from rolling off and the base is great for working and even transporting your work, well, not very far as in travelling, but at least you don't have to put everything away to move it.

Another little thing might be that if you use a frame you could use coffee straws (for stirring) and make a little criss-cross set of squares and secure them to one side of the frame. It might not leave a lot of room for working, but it will help in keeping the beads seperated a bit while working.

I hope some of this is helpful ladies.

Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 5:02 PM

Good! Gimmee the red one then!(lol)

Well, just so happens I have a photograph of Sophie now that I will upload:

She really does look like Shirley Temple, doesn't she?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 9, 2012 5:05 PM

Oh, no, thank you very muvh!  That might actually help me out when I'm travelling.  Thanks for the tip, Moms!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 278
on Oct 10, 2012 2:50 AM

Thanks for the tip BeaDazzledMoms I will try the frame and straws.. :) 

Val Sophie does look like Shirley Temple!!... Set her hair exactly like 1920's and she will be exactly like her... Big Smile

Page 6 of 14 (204 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS