My costume Jewellery

This post has 207 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 26, 2012 8:10 AM

its okay... :) i am being lazy for 3 days and have stopped working on my curtains... Well other than that no one has the time to take me to market to buy fishline.. m out of it.. from tomorrow m thinking of practising some stitching techniques  since peyote and ladder stitches are new to me... when m done with the curtains i will start on ornaments... 

What about you?.. I have read in some posts in other forums that your thumb is giving you some trouble.. is it alright now??  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 1:27 AM

Can't remember if I told you- in January I took a bad fall down the stais and sprained my ankle rather badly and sliced my thumb open on the rail bracket that holds it into the wall.  It's old and has some sharp edges.  Thumb wound up getting badly infected and we found out via xray it was broken.  Had emergency surgery to clean out infection and set the bone.  After four weeks, I developed a granuloma, and it wan't healing.  Doc took another look and the infection had got into my phalangeal bones.  You actually have two bones in your thumb; not one big one.  Went right back into suergery, they opened it back up, cleaned it again, and this time removed 2mm of bone off each bone.  The damage was so severe that I will only ever have 10% range of motion in my thumb.  Upside?  I still have my thumb and I'm still here.Smile  Things are more awkward than they used to be, because it is my dominant hand, but I have been learning little tricks to get around it.  I'm a smart chickie-poo!(lol)

I'm starting to brainstorm on Christmas presents for the girls in my family.  With five nieces, my mom, sister and sister-in-law, plus my British cousins, I've got a LOT of work to do!  I'm making my 4 year old a little Noah's Ark charm bracelet fot Christmas.  She's the only one I've got down so far, sigh.......I really need to get a move on.  The holidays come so fast, anymore.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 27, 2012 10:14 AM

Its sad to hear about your hand... :( I hope your thumb starts working before...Any injury on dominant hand is tough to handle and difficult to manage.. Hope for the best for you..

Yeah holidays are fast approaching September has already ended.. :)  I also need to pick up my pace with respect to beading work.. Sounds like you have tons to do...:D 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 27, 2012 10:10 PM

Well, you know,Gopika, I could have wound up having it amputated.  So I'm grateful I have it at all, with what little usage I still have.  I'm learning to get by, though.  Kinda not missing the bead sewing so much any more.  I was just learning it, and I wasn't very patient with it, any road.(lol)

You are not kidding!  With that kind of a list, I really need to step on it!Huh?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 27, 2012 11:04 PM

yeah I know Val that must have been quite a bad thing if it happened...But on the bright side it didn't happen so its good... 

I am patient with the beadwork though.. I used to sew so i got my patience from it Big Smile

So what have you thought to give everyone?? Well yo told me about your daughter'd gift though.. it sounds nice... Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 12:23 AM

They would have had to graft a finger or toe on, because you really can't do wthout your thumb, but it still would have been pretty much useless, so I'm glad it's still there.  I just call it Frankenthumb, now.(lol)  I will figure out  what to do with it.  I learned to write again,didn't I?Smile

It's odd, but when I'm doing wireworking, or I'm right in the middle of a complicated piece that I'm stringing, I'll be totally absorbed, and if I get interrupted, Iget cranky.Angry  But that patience ends when it comes to sewing, for some reason.  I can barely stand to mend my clothing.  Go figure.Confused(lol)

I've picked out a design I want to do for my mom.  It's going to involve knotting, which I haven't done in a LONG time!  Maybe that will help with some of my dexterity issues.  Oh!  Sophie's not my daughter.  Sorry, she's the youngest of my five nieces.  I am incapable of having children, so I dote on my nieces.  They're my kids.  Oh!  And my two little Westies, of course.  I love my dogs better than I like most people!Right Hug

Val

PS I just dowloaded a book on designing Celtic jewelry onto my e-reader.  It looks COOL!  Which kinda gives me an idea for my niece who turns 15 tomorrow!Big Smile

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 29, 2012 7:14 AM

hmmm may be with time you will get over with the issues over your thumb... even i get cranky when i am asked to leave the work for household work... I can mend my clothes but i rarely do it as we have a machine for that and when we get at least 3-4 clothes for mending then I and my mum-in-law get busy with it.. 

we have diwali holidays so I am planning on making a 3D beaded peacock for home.. but first curtains.. curtains curtains.. geez i get deviated with my original stuff too easily :D

can u gimme the link plz? I want to try it too...I have downloaded 45 beading projects from favcrafts.com... there are some funky jewellery in there so its good for me for time being... will work on some jewellery along with the curtains.. I just need 3 more days to finish my curtains and then back to jewellery business... 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 29, 2012 11:11 PM

I hope so. I'm going to continue to take it slow.  I can't believe I've been sick for amost a year!  I have to go see my kidney docto again in a couple of weeks, to see if I'm improving at all.  My appetite certainly hasn't.

Pretty easy to get sidetracked, innit?  Happens to me all the time.  The weather here is starting to get pretty miserable so now I feel more like hibernating.(lol)

Well, I got the book through Blio, the e-reader software system that was installed on my computer.  I have a Toshiba.I think Blio was designed for Toshiba; I'm not sure.  It's like my own private e-bookstore.  BUT...I do believe they offer it here for download right here on our very own Beading Daily site.  Hang on, let me check....Oooo, sorry, they don't have that particular one.  I thought they did.CryingFear not, I'm going to find you a link....Okay, I have good news.  Amazon has it for dowload to your Kindle.  Now...If you don't have a Kindle, you can still download the Kindle reader software at Amazon.  Just go to the Kindle site: it will walk you through the download process.  Once you have the Kindle software, you can purchase the e-book.  The title of the book is called Celtic Jewellery, and the author's name is Amanda Walker.  Its list price is $7.96.  I don't know what that comes out to in rupees, but it's a very good deal. (Of course, my bookstore sent me a coupon, so I only had to pay a couple of bucks for mine!) Hope this helped.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 30, 2012 12:55 PM

oh Val plz dont hibernate.. think of all the gifts for Christmas you have to work on.. (imitating an actor from Shakespeare's play) lollz... The weather here has changed as well.. its too hot.. rains have stopped and now I drink 8-10 glasses of water to quench my thirst which instead fills my tummy i have to skip lunch due to it...

I will look for kindle books in the I-Pad (>.> *staring at hubby dear sitting on the computer unknown to the torture his i-pad is gonna face tonight) Devil i will try looking for free version as it will cost me 400 bucks to get the book...  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 10:53 PM

Trust me, sweetie, if you were experiencing this weather, you'd be wanting to hibernate too!  At least I have Zoe and Mac to keep me warm.Big Smile I wouldn't mind some heat again.  I hate the cold, whine!  I know I know, I really have to get to work on the Christmas pressies; groan!(g)

I was just on Amazon earler; I do believe they have free Kindle software for an iPad.  $400 for a Kindle?!!!!!  NO WAY!!  And I thought it was nuts to pay half that!  Besides, I've got an e-reader on my computer already, plus I can listen to tunes on my computer, plus watch movies.  Why would I want a Kindle? Torturing the iPad!  Fun, fun!(ROTFL!!)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Sep 30, 2012 11:21 PM

So it has become chilly there...Beginning of autumn hmmm.... we'll have hot days till the end f november i guess unless we have cold weather before that...

Yeah there is free Kindle software for I-pad but the problem is the book will cost me 400 Rs if i buy it from Amazon...My hubby didn't gimme d i-pad.. meanie.. Angry he was working on it... usually i stay away from his electronics stuff coz its kind of rule since i was born that any electronic object in my vicinity tends to go haywire or blow off or just  stop working.. So i keep my distance from delicate stuff lollz... But I have got laptop so watch bones and bead the jewellery.. Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 30, 2012 11:57 PM

Yes, whiiiiiiine!  Well, poop on you!(lol)

Well, yeah, I looked up the exchange rate; that's about $7.50, give or take a few cents, here.  That's pretty cheap.  Is $7.50 not so chesp over there?  My e-bookstore wanted a couple bucks more, but because I had a coupon from them, I only paid about $4 for my copy.  I wish it would let me share but it won't let me even convert a page or two to a PDF file.Sad

Oooo, he's a bratty pants!(g)  Wow, that sounds like me and vacuum cleaners.  Go figure!(g)  You can download Kindle software on lappy, too.  That's where mine is.  Let me know if you ever want to Skype and I'll give you my handle.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 25
vilcat wrote
on Oct 1, 2012 6:54 AM

Not much?!   They are very "much"!   Very sophisticated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67549412@N03/

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 272
on Oct 2, 2012 2:28 AM

Thanks Vilcat... :) 

Val $7.50 is equivalent to Rs 400 here.. the current rate of currency in India is $1 = Rs. 52.39....So its sometimes difficult for me to buy books online especially the beadworks.. I look for the free pdfs and have joined 2-3 websites for their free ebooks only... But i come only in the forums of beading daily coz this was the first site i found worth loving :D

yeah sure will let you know.. my curtain work stopped for a while though coz m out of some beads.. I wanted to finish it but something or the other turns up.. Its frustrating since i cant start a new work till i finish the first.. grrr 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,812
Valbeads wrote
on Oct 2, 2012 5:03 PM

I guess when I see so many bead books >$20, $7.50 seems like a good deal to me.Confused  Even better when I have coupons.  Mostly I just try to download the free stuff, too.

Oh, I HATE when that happens!  It's so aggravating!  Especially when you know it may be awhile before you can get to the shops.  Sigh....what can you do?Tongue Tied

Val(off to get the "kiddies" their din din{lol})

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 5 of 14 (208 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS