My costume Jewellery

This post has 207 Replies | 8 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 22, 2012 3:16 AM

Hey Val,

I think Jackson did the Lord of the Rings first to establish that it could be done and well (plus the greater draw).  The Hobbit will be 'the icing on the cake' -- but that's just my opinion.  I read the books out of order (first time):  The Two Towers, The Fellowship of the Ring, then Return of the KingThe Hobbit was much later.  There's background information in the dvds as well as a gallery, etc.

I would think that the Rohans'(?) (the Horse Lords) cultural designs more closely resembled the Celts -- earthy and bold.  The Elfish design is more airy and light -- same twists and overlays, but more elongated and thin, than the Celtic style.  Remember the jewelry the elves wore in the movies?  I've got to look again myself -- been awhile.

But all-in-all, a great idea Big Smile!

Sarah Coffee

09-22-12 (0116 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 22, 2012 6:48 AM

i borrowed the book from my cousin and its still with me... I was in 11th grade when i read it.. i found it pretty boring at first but then i started liking it.. I read Hobbit 3 months back... Its sometimes difficult to get books if you dont tell the bookshop owners to get what you want..

Sarah, thats a good idea.. Well Rohans did seem like Celt so their colours are definitely brown, bronze, copper and gold depending on the social distinction.But the designs will be either old as in like inherited pieces or newly made relative mostly to nature or raw work.... there are elves who are more like celestial beings than one can imagine.. their colours are mostly green and blue.. in some cases its brown which must be for wood elves.Their designs are bit sophisticated..Then there are dwarves who are for silver and gold... They are for coats, chain mail, bracelate or rings..

All right this leaves Sauron and his minions.. Orcs dont wear shiny things so it comes to Nazgul and Sauron himself.. What does a Nazgul wear? black jewellery? well it probably wont show on their black cloaks.. so what do you think Val and Sarah?

I found this website too last week.. Every jewellery has a story.. its fun to read it..  http://jewelrytales.blogspot.in/search?updated-max=2010-02-22T17:43:00-05:00&max-results=5&start=20&by-date=false 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 22, 2012 3:40 PM

Oh, okay Sarah, I did not know that!  See, you learn something new every day!

Hmmm....you might be right.  I guess I was going by the brooches that Frodo and the other hobbits received from Celeborn and Galadriel.  They seemed rather Celtic in design.  Good thing my dad has the DVDs; I can go back and have a look.

How fun will that be-- to go to the movies decked out in the jewelry and then when people want to know where you got it you can say,"I designed it!"  Won't they be astonished?!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 22, 2012 3:49 PM

Gopika,

Orcs don't like jewelry.  They only care about money and such. They don't even take care of their armour, really.  Half the time, it's bloodstained, the better to intimidate the humans or hobbits.  If the armour rusts, they will take replacements from dead bodies.  As for the Nazgul(the mounted Ringwraiths), any armour they would wear would probably be as black as their souls.  I believe the only jewelry they would be wearing would be one of the Nine Rings, which would probably be a dulled tarnished gold by now.  They might wear a cloak brooch, which would probably be a cold, twisted steel with the Eye of Sauron set into it, maybe symbolized by a blood red ruby.  Sauron himself is not capable of taking human form any longer, so not much need for jewelry there.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 22, 2012 10:54 PM

yes Val, that may be the case there... Well for Saruman we can think of a hand-shaped brooch.... Its his symbol... Hobbits (ladies) wear beads or black metal jewellery..Have to see the movies again for inspiration... lollz.... 

Sauron is not in bodily form so ignoring him....  I remember seeing beaded wire jewellery worn by women of Gondor in the song of Aragorn.. they had the jewellery as their necklaces as well as headpieces i guess... but the shades were light in colour such as blue, yellow and light brown etc... 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 23, 2012 12:54 AM

Good one for Saruman.  Might want to put an Eye in that one, too.  Gandolf's ornamentation would be Elven.  Though he does spend a great deal of time with dwarvea, dwarves are more interested in jewels as they can be applied to weapons-making.  Besides, Gandold makes his home in Haven, with Elrond and the Wood Elves.  It stands to reason the elves would have gifted him with many trinkets. 

I always had the impression Hobbit women liked earthy, chunky jewelry, with semiprecious stones like agate, feldspar, jasper....you know the kind.  I'll have to check.

The Gondorians.............well, they're an aristocratic people, I'd say, so their jewelry should reflect that as well.  Prince Eomer wears a circlet coronet under his helmet, and Princess Eowynn wears a delicate looking diadem around her forehead.  Theoden King wears a rather Spanish style coronet.  I have a pattern for headbands that I think could be easily adapted into a diadem.  I just might try it!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 23, 2012 1:18 PM

diadem and headbands are my favourite....i never thought of a design for any of them though.. i was more into bracelets and earrings... hmm will think about it.. 

do u prefer delicate headbands or heavy ones?  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 23, 2012 3:24 PM

I have patterns for headbands/diadems in one of my recent bead magazines; can't remember which one at the moment.  I'll have to go look.  I love them, too; you can find some very lovely ones.  I designed one in cherry quartz.

I like the delicate ones; they are more flattering to me.  The wide, thick, heavy ones wind up making me look like a doofus.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 24, 2012 7:52 AM

I haven't had the opportunity to buy a magazine on beads... Cherry quartz sounds sweet to me.. :D I also prefer delicate ones but never made or wore them :D

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 24, 2012 12:03 PM

I have suscriptions to two: Jewelry Stringing (love Love LOVE! I would do ANYTHING if they'd go from quarterly to bimonthly, at least), and Bead Style, put out by a different publisher.  Both are very inspiring, but it was Stringing Magazine that cemented my love affair with jewelry design. Their designs are so awesome!  That's why I wish they'd go to at least bi-monthly; quarterly just isn't cutting it for me anymore!(lol)

Chrry quartz is really beautiful.  It has a very ethereal air to it, which is probably why I like it.  Now I go hog wild over it whenever I can get ahold of it.(lol)

If you'd like to try designing a headband I can send the pattern to you.  They're actually not that difficult.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 25, 2012 9:48 AM

Ahaan.. I guess i have too look for Indian writers for bead magazines... Hehehehe cherry sounds for you... i tried making headband.. heres a picture.. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 25, 2012 2:12 PM

Well......you know, you can download back issues and current issues of Stringing right here on the Beading Daily site, if you don't mind the e-mag format.  Some of the back issues aren't in print anymore, so I downloaded them.

Yep, cherry quartz is definitely for me!  Lol, that's cute!  She looks like a maharini.  Or is she one of your goddesses?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 273
on Sep 25, 2012 2:45 PM

I did download some ebooks from here that too of stitches and beading bracelets... Well i joined a favcrafts site which gives free downloadable books to members in pdf.. i wanted to check the books.. The bad thing about me is that i dont have much eye for colours.. So i recently downloaded a book on colours from here (badingdaily) 

Well actually *ahem* >.>       <.<        <.>       well that is Lord krishna when he was a baby... and its he.. *going red*  we dress him up and my mum in law is religious so she takes care of him as if one would take care of a baby.. his dresses are changed.. before we have our food we offer the same food to him minus the onions and garlic..so I cook two types of meals 3 times a day..^_^  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 26, 2012 2:03 AM

They do have good sales here frequently. All the emags and such that I've downloaded from the Interweave site(this site) are downloaded in PDF format. I'm gonna have to purchase a thumb drive, 'cos my hard drive is getting all full up with all my my beading stuff.(g)

Ooooooooops!  My bad!Embarrassed  That sounds a little bit similar to our Infant of Prague.  The Infant of Prague is a small statue of the Baby Jesus, all decked out in royal robes, with a crown upon his head.  Many people who have Him in their homes will change his robes according to the liturgical season.   So sorry about the girl thing!Embarrassed

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,826
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 26, 2012 2:57 AM

They do have good sales here frequently. All the emags and such that I've downloaded from the Interweave site(this site) are downloaded in PDF format. I'm gonna have to purchase a thumb drive, 'cos my hard drive is getting all full up with all my my beading stuff.(g)

Ooooooooops!  My bad!Embarrassed  That sounds a little bit similar to our Infant of Prague.  The Infant of Prague is a small statue of the Baby Jesus, all decked out in royal robes, with a crown upon his head.  Many people who have Him in their homes will change his robes according to the liturgical season.   So sorry about the girl thing!Embarrassed

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 4 of 14 (208 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS