My costume Jewellery

This post has 203 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 13, 2012 6:27 AM

Yes the colours are bright in silk so they will look adorable on u :)  In cotton we have this thread work here called Chikan which is famous here in Lucknow.. I prefer wearing the long shirts(kurtis) of that work. Girls like short ones to be worn with jeans. I wear mine with the matching leggings. Silk is preferred mostly in winters here. It shines a lot. Its hard to attend wedding in winters with all silky sarees shining around dazzling the eyes.. my eyes go *_* lolz. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 7:42 PM

I would definitely be happy as a bug in a rug!Smile  I have been SO tempted to try a sari; I'm just afraid I'd make a terrible hash out of tying it properly.(g)  I like the washed silk the best; it's softer and not shiny like satin.  I can imagine- everyone in their wedding finery!  You probably need a strong pair of sunglasses or else your eyes wil go, "Booooiiiing!"(lol)  I have an Indian style tunic in a geen blue silk that I really love; it's gotten too chilly now to wear it.  There's always next spring.  Do you like ikat?  I think it's a pretty cool print.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 7:43 PM

PS- you're very pretty!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 14, 2012 3:36 AM

Even I don't know how to tie a sari.. My sis-in-law ties it up for me lol.. I like ikat prints... but since i get mostly prints related to black i dont buy them.. May b next year will do.. I m not supposed to wear white  or black till my first marriage anniversary as a tradition so I look for colours. Green blue sounds a nice colour... I have had always a thing for blue. But in my wardrobe you will find all types of pink though.. hehehehehe.. Apart from purple which colour do u prefer specifically?

PS- Thanks Val *blush blush*

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 4:31 AM

Guess they need to put out a "Sari-Tying for Dummies" book.  We'd be all set!(lol)

My favourite colour above all always has been and always will be-- RED.  Preferably a nice cranberry red.  Or burgundy, oxblood, brick red or rust red.  With my complexion I have to choose just the right shade of red or else it's disaster!

I find it amusingly ironic when all the beauty industry and fashion gurus say someone with my complexion should wear pastels.  Snort!  There's always an exception to the rule.  That would be me!

And you're quite welcome!  I call 'em as I see 'em!Smile

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 14, 2012 8:00 AM

hehehe.. good idea.. but i found out from my boss last year that the women here these days wear stitched saris.. Al they have to do is wear them like a skirt and drape the cloth on shoulder. Its easier for working women and people  like us :D 

Pastels are not suited for your skin.. They suit  olive skin tones.. you are fair and pastels are so not your thing.. Have u seen TV series "Bones" I get inspiration from Dr. Brennan's jewellery. She never wears pastels except in one or two episodes but otherwise metal or coloured jewellery suits her. Same goes for you. Pastels will look dull but the other colours will enhance your skin tone and clothes. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 5:35 PM

That's really helpful, Gopika.  I should get me one of those!

No, pastels make me look like I have a bad case of hepatitis!  I look horrible!  If you want to call them pastels, I can wear aqua, periwinkle and pale coral, but that's pretty much it.  I look really nice in fuschia; again, that's that nice, bold deep pink.

OMG, Gopika, are you kidding?  I absolutely LOVE Bones!!  I've been watching it since the very first episode!  It's so funny-- I've designed several pieces of my jewelry wardrobe based on the jewelry she wears!  One of my favouries is a small pair of carnellian earrings I designed based on a pair she wore in the season 6 opener.  I love carnellian, especially, the deep reddish brown shade.  It makes me drool!  I just made a new pair of earrings using some of my faceted carnellian, paired with some of my new Swarovski erinite crystals.  Delicious!  BTW, the new season of Bones is starting here on Monday, the 17th.  Can't wait!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 15, 2012 1:04 AM

I have heard that most of the beading community loves her jewelry.. in fact some people tried to figure out where did they get the products designed from.. Even I got curious and started searching it online.. and i found this http://www.etsy.com/shop/ExoticTreasuresJewel They have the jewelry worn by the three women in the show..

Where can i see your new earrings?

I love Dr. Brennan's beaded necklaces that are tribal in look.. the rectangle pendant or square pendants in metal are my favorite.. her necklaces are rarely long.. As per her work she has to wear the ones which are close to her throat.. but Angela's necklaces vary.. and they are cool too.. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 15, 2012 1:31 AM

Those are the kind of necklaces I like too!  They suit her profession as a forensic anthropologist.  I've seen a quick preview for Monday, and she's bleached her hair blonde!  I'm guessing that's 'cos she's had to be in hiding.  I like Angela's jewelry, too.  It's very funky, which suits her free spirited attitude.

I don't particularly prefer long necklaces, either.  I feel awkward in them, plus I have two little Westies who are always wanting "Mama" to pick them up, and their little paws could get tangled up.  As for some of my newer jewelry, I'm hoping to photograph this weekend and get them posted next week.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 15, 2012 7:55 AM

Great!! I will look forward to them... 

I am watching Bones currently and m on 2nd season. My husband downloaded it for me... Long necklaces are preferably  for those who are quite free and do not expect them to be tangled.. My boss got one for me from Kenya.. it was made of seed beads.. It was a pain in my neck :D 

say can i post my friend's work here? Like some earrings i bought from her or something?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 15, 2012 9:58 PM

Ooooo, I won't say anything, then!  There are some serious goings-on for Season 8!

I have some very beautiful necklaces from Kenya.  My adopted brother lives there.  He is a Catholic priest, and godfather to my youngest niece, so he is family as far as we're cocerned.  The girls all call him Uncle Larry.  We have known Fr. Lawrence Mbogo for almost 20 years, when he first came to my family's parish.  I met him first and introduced him to the rest of the family.  We are all very close.  He is Vicar-General of his diosces in Kenya now, so he gets pretty busy, but he's hoping to come back for an extended visit next spring.  He introduces me as his American sister and I call him my Kenyan brother.  I have met my Kenyan mother and two of my Kenyan sisters.  He has been teaching me some Swahili.  It's fun! He's hoping to get his computer se up with Skype soon so we can video chat.

Hmmm...about your friend's work?  Good question.  You might want to ask Christina or Sue Ellen about that.  I think they're kind of the moderators.

Tomorrow's going to be a great day for me!  Birthday birthday birthday, all day long, after I go to Mass, that is!(g)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 16, 2012 12:16 AM

hehehehe.. no its okay I dont mind some spoilers.. Since the story of such tv series goes on to different track like another murder or skeletons to be discovered and all.. :D 

Good to hear about your brother in Kenya.. Skype is the best way to connect with your family... My mum likes to connect with her sister in Canada.. That way one knows how the other is doing and best of all one can show the pics of clothes and jewellery :D

Is it your birthday tomorrow?? Wow!! thats cool!! Enjoy your day and have fun!! keep your presents and gimme the cake ;) lol.. Just kidding..  

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,867
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 16, 2012 2:57 PM

Well....because of where you're at right now, if I tell you certain things it would totally destroy it for you.  I can tell you this-- Angela and Hodgins have a thing for each other.  They are so cute!  I can tell you too that his hair is cut shorter and he doesn't wear a full beard anymore(thank GOD!), but that's it.  Once you've seen Season 3, then we can talk a little more.  They go after a serial killer in Season 3(NOT the Gravedigger, though he'll show up again), and Season 3 will end with a HUGE shock!  That's all you're getting from me!

That's how I keep up with all my "cousins" in England.  You know what I like the best about Skype?  It's free!  I like being able to show off my jewelry live, too.  It's fun!  BTW, I'm on Eastern Daylight Time.  How many hours ahead are you in Lucknow?  And is that Northern, Central or Southern India?  Don't have a map handy.(lol)

Having a nice bd.  Relaxing on my massage mat.  It's cool today-- about 63°F.  Summer is OVER!  But the sun is shining, so that's nice.  No torrential downpours, for a change.  No, you can't have all my cake!  You may have a slice, although it's ice cream cake and I'm not sure how I'm going to get it to you before it melts!(lol)

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 17, 2012 7:06 AM

Well I just finished the 2nd season and I am about to start the 3rd one :D

I use skype mainly to be in touch with my brother.. He is in Dubai studying.. I also need Skype to talk to mum and dad just 80 km away from here.. :) I am on Indian Standard Times which according to GMT is five and a half hours but from EDT its nine and a half hours :D

Wow!! relaxing on massage mat sounds cool and refreshing :) Its still cloudy here... On saturday our home was filled with water as the terrace drain got blocked.. It rained continuously that night.. The two rooms on terrace, stairs and lobby were water logged... My in-laws cleaned the whole water.. We were sound asleep so dint know anything... 

Page 2 of 14 (204 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS