Not Ranked
Posts 22
JaimeD@2 wrote
on Sep 8, 2012 12:25 PM

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 8, 2012 1:21 PM

Jaime, looks more like a button then a pendant, but whatever. Now you have used it and it needs to be fixed. Buttons are hard to balance and your necklace is nicely simple so here is what I'd do with it. If you have some good epoxy glue, glue a ring onto the back of the uppermost petal. First bend the ring so part of it is sticking above the surface of the petal. Let it dry for a min. of 24 hours. Epoxy will set and hold it's position sooner, but it won't be totally cured. After the 24 hours, just attached a few pieces of  your same chain to the ring and to the necklace itself making sure it is concealed and will hold the petal close to the chain necklace itself. That will hold to top of the flower much closer to vertical which is what you need it to do. There are no doubt other ways fo fix this, but it is nice looking and simple and I'd keep it that way. Nice autumn colors. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 22
JaimeD@2 wrote
on Sep 8, 2012 3:55 PM

thx for your reply d.m.z! it's a pewter pendant, with a ring already soldered onto the back. i thought of placing another, but do not have the tools to do so. i usually do not make simple jewelry like this. i've been a silversmith for 13 yrs. i work with wire mostly now. sold my studio so i no longer have the "big daddy" tools lol. if i were to epoxy another ring to fasten, i do not have enough confidence in the strength of the epoxy versus the weight of the pewter. any more thoughts ? thank you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 8, 2012 9:29 PM

Jaime, Epoxy? extreme heavy duty holding power............. but really you are only holding the top of the pendant inclose to the chain above it, should not be an issue as it won't be weight bearing. I'd give it a try and that is why I suggested curing for the full 24 hours too. Big dot of epoxy with about half the ring embedded into it, other half at right angle to it for the connection. Hope this works for you. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 22
JaimeD@2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 12:16 AM

i have e-6000 on hand. will do. thx!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 9:31 AM

E6000 is not an epoxy, it may or may not hold, I think may not for very long, but it won't hurt to try.

Where is the loop at, that was already on the pendent? was it in the middle or near and edge? The placement of this loop may be the root of the problem. could you show us the back of the pendent?

Happy Beading.

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 529
shanks wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 10:44 AM

When you use  epoxy, wipe both surfaces off using nail polish remove. This will remove any oils that may be on the surface and will assure a good bond.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 12:32 PM

Sue, omg I stand corrected..........I always thought of E6000 as an epoxy type of adhesive.....my bad. I just read the tube I have here and it is only an "industrial strength" adhesive. Wow, guess I probably read the label when I first found it a gazillion years ago and not since that time. I've used it since at least mid 90's for costume jewelry and like that, I've glued so much with it that I have total confidence in it as a product. But you are correct, it is not an epoxy. The other glue I use is Hypo Tube as they have proved to be the best two for what I work with. Always ready to self-correct. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 22
JaimeD@2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 11:50 PM

thank you sue!!! my expertise is not with epoxys lol. i'm a metalsmith, so it's usually just solder and cold join for me ;)

Not Ranked
Posts 22
JaimeD@2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 11:51 PM

oops...left out your answers...the ring is dead center on back of the pendant. i'll get a pic up tom. thx again!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 8:21 AM

being the ring is dead center is the real reason it isn't laying flat. you need to get that other ring or loop near the top of the pendent. There are ways to make the piece behave, but for the life of me I can't remember just how it was done. Maybe someone else has a better recollection than I. Anyone? 

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS