How is this possible?

This post has 26 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 9:39 AM

As it is difficult for me to purchase beads here in Portugal because there are no beadshops, I often visit charity shops and buy old rejected jewellery and use the beads. There are a lot of Chinese shops that sell beads but they're often of a poor quality. It has happened that I finished a piece and then found out that the paint came off the beads. Not very nice.

I also buy cheap jewellery on the street. Especially in summer there are a lot of street vendors. Yesterday I bought this necklace for 3 euros (US dollars 3.76)! Isn't that incredible? It's a nice design and there are thousands of beads in it. And to think that the vendors have to make a profit on it as well.

I don't think there are machines that can do the stringing so somewhere in the world people must be making these necklaces for a very low salary. At least it's not a filthy job but it makes you wonder.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 10:36 AM

It's so intricate!  And that's all it cost?  Well, I guess considering how poor the economy is, can we really be all that surprised?  It's a better way for someone to put food on the table than some other professions I can think of, though.  I have to agree with you about the quality of the Chinese beads.

I take advantage of garage sales and yard sales to purchase old, funky jewelry that no one wants any longer and rework it into something completely new,as well.  I'll have to consider scoping out some of my local thrift stores, too.  With the upcoming release of The Great Gatsby, people are really going to be wanting Art Deco jewelry, which is one of my favourite styles to design.

How's it going in Portugal, Senhora?  Weather still holding up?  Say hello to your shipmate for me.  Take care.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 28, 2012 12:08 PM

Nice, and yes, how is that possible? But it rather attractive as it is, that "braiding" is coming back around again maybe. Necklaces from the 30's were made like that, a bit sparser in the number of braids as it fit closer to the neck.

When I was selling vintage costume jewelry, I'd buy lots and sell off my specialty which was 30's through 50's.......BUT you couldn't GIVE away the strung strands of beads, sometimes I'd put the exceptional one in my case for sale, but they'd typically sit for forever. The rest of them went into a Rubbermaid 20 quart container. There was an older lady (older than me!!!) who joined up with our bead society and she said she loved the old beads..................well boy howdy, I sold her the whole container full for $5.00 and she still grins at me because she is still using them up. She started beading when she was 79, so she must be in her mid-80's by now. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 219
on Sep 7, 2012 1:39 PM | Locked
This post has been deleted.

- Allie & Nathan
Potomac Bead Company

www.potomacbeads.com
Buy Online: www.thebeadco.com 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Beadiecat wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 1:23 PM

That necklace is so pretty that I wouldn't be able to take it apart.

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lavella123 wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 3:33 PM

I agree with you Cat, The necklace is nice

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 6:03 PM

Hi Beadiecat and Lavella,

You'll be happy to hear that the necklace is still in one piece.

Greeting from Karin.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 10:14 PM

So have you decided you're just going to wear it, Karin?  PS- how goes drydock?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 3:09 PM

Hi Val,

No, I don't like wearing necklaces. Isn't that strange? I do wear some of my bracelets but I can't stand the feeling of something around my neck.

Drydock is postponed for a couple of months as my boyfriend needs to go into surgery on the 21st. I'm cleaning the waterline of our boat at the moment and we'll go into a marina on Monday and prepare for things. We've been at anchor all summer.

Your birthday is very soon. I hope you have a nice day!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 252
kathi@46 wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 6:31 PM

Yes Seabeads, there are beaders in African states and elsewhere who make this stuff for peanuts. But that said it is their only source of income. This is a beautiful example that you posted. 

Kathi

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 7:08 PM

Hey, Karin,

No, not so much.  I don't like wearing chokers and turtlenecks because I feel like I'm being strangled.  If I were to believe in reincarnation, I'd think I might have been hanged in a previous life.

I will pray that he comes theough his surgery all right.

Yup, this Sunday.  I'm one of those weirdos that likes to have a big deal made out of my birthday.(lol)  The rest of the year I really don't much like being the centre of attention, but my birthday is the exception to the rule.  The greedy child in me is alive and well.(lol).  Supposed to be fair weather this weekend, hurrah!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 11:28 PM

Hi Karin,

Glad you left the necklace in one piece; I haven't worn a necklace in ages; come to think of it , I usually don't wear any jewelry.  Best wishes for your boyfriend; just found out that my sister's daughter's cancer came back (just six months after she was 'clear'; non-Hodgkin Lymphoma).  Are you okay?  Cleaning the waterline from the deck or barge?

Stay safe,

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (2128 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 11:31 PM

Hey Val,

Have a very Fun & Happy Birthday!

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (2131 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 1:53 AM

Ooo, thank you, I will!  Sunday can't come soon enough!(lol) Yesterday was my late grandmother's birthday.  It's been 25 years since she passed away, but I still miss her a lot.  One of the things I miss the most is us calling each other on our birthdays.  I still have the last birthday card she sent me.  I keep it as a loving reminder of hoe much my Grandma Smyder meant to me.  I lost her too soon.  She was the one who encouraged me to really celebrate my birthday.  She was the best grandma, ever.  If she were still here, she'd definitely want my jewelry.(g)

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 281
on Sep 13, 2012 3:14 AM

It will take me months in making this piece.. one can see the creativity and hard-work of a person on this.. I was dwelling on the fact that the people who make these crafts are underpaid.. But those who make the beads are more underpaid.. The people who make these beads here in India are from villages. I have heard from my friends that seed bead makers get around 25-50 cents as per US currency for every gram or kilo depending on the people paying them. Sad 

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS