Ottercats' loomless loomstitch

This post has 71 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 8:41 PM

Thank you, ScottishSue

Will have to check with Barnes & Noble if I get a chance (no book stores in our area; Walden Books closed several years ago).  I have at least two versions:  original & version 2; working on a quicker method, but would only work in even # of stitches.  In the tutorial, I'm including an illustration that shows how the beads are held together (thread pattern); the warp threads show 'gaps' in the original, which is why I developed version 2 -- to close the gaps.  Will make more sense when you see the tutorial -- almost done.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sarah Coffee

09-09-12 (1841 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 8:54 PM

Thanks Donna,

Not even a stitch oriented 90 degrees to the left of loom-work?  I've had to do a repair on 'Winter Tree' ( right in the middle of it).  The thread failed, but didn't lose the beads; secured the ends (rewove into work) and restitched beads into place -- I can't find the repair now.  I really appreciate your efforts -- bead history is getting very interesting.  I'm almost done with the tutorial (not my first attempt with this stitch).

Thanks again,

Sarah Coffee

09-09-12 (1854 PDT)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,461
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 10:07 PM

Sarah, I can't tell you why I chose to repair using square stitch, I think the first time it happened to me that was what I picked for the best result, and sure if it was still on the loom for sure just running the two threads back through and adding back in the mistaken or broken bead would be fine. Also, if I add an embellished edge to my work I usually will do it in square stitch simply because it is easiest to deal with. I have used brick when it needed to be offset or tapered.......I'm ready to make it work whatever it takes.

Some years ago I hand charted a pattern and when I actually beaded it on the loom it looked awful (not sure how that happens as I used the correct graph paper) but probably because I used delicas and the nice flowing lines got choppy, anyway I took a whole block of beads out of the pattern to recurve the ugly looking curve and did it in square as it was already off the loom and edges finished, etc. I could ALWAYS see it. After I used microfiber backing and put the non-glare glass on the front the square's sat back down and it almost didn't show at all. Things like that bug me though, I am a bit picky, but this was early in my looming experience.

Bead, gemstone and jewelry history ARE interesting and I have a nice library on both which I try to keep under control but I love books and use mine all the time. Donna

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 10, 2012 6:52 PM

Hi, Donna

Using square stitch for your repair was a good choice -- oriented in the same direction.  You would be able to spot it -- thread pattern is different and the straight line of the warp thread stands out in loom-work; I didn't because I used the same stitch and the lack of warp threads made the repair invisible.  I also noticed that the beads I used in 'Winter Tree' are not uniform; gave it an organic feel (no straight lines in nature) and some movement inside the color sections; helped hide the repair further.  I have used delicas in another piece (celtic knot) that resulted in a more uniform appearance which I liked.  Not surprised that you're 'picky' -- shows that you care about your art.

Thanks for sharing your library; much of mine is in boxes (not that there's many); another project.

Sarah Coffee

09-10-12 (1652 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 10, 2012 7:13 PM

Hi, ScottishSue

Thanks for suggesting Jill Oxton's magazine.  I looked her up and found her website.  Wow.  What I wanted to do, but couldn't find the colors (various tones and shades).  Couldn't find anything on her stitches, but have thought of interweaving fine wire as the piece is worked (an earlier idea).  I have beaded some of the Halloween Kids using floral wire (instead of thread) and mini pony beads -- firmer than with thread.  Could you tell me what the differences are between the methods? (more passes through the beads, threading material, varying the thread pattern, ?)  Also, there's a change concerning the number of issues per year -- according to her website (www.jilloxtonxstitch.com),  there will be two magazines per year starting 2012.  You can find the earlier magazines (prior to the one you) have in the magazine index.  I really enjoyed looking at her (and others) work.  Thanks.

Sarah Coffee

09-10-12 (1713 PDT)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 11, 2012 12:31 PM

Hi Sarah:

I simply pick up a copy of Jill Oxton's magazine when I see it at the bookstore (and ONLY IF I see something in it that interests me), so I have not noticed that there was a change in the number of magazines per year.

As for her square stitches:

The main difference between the basic method and the rigid one is how many times the thread is run through the entire row and whether it is run through just one row or two rows.  

The semi-rigid method uses a modified thread path where some of the beads are attached one bead at a time and others are done two at a time. 

In the magazine, there are 13 diagrams for the right handed  and 13 for the left handed -- just for square stitch.  She also goes over increasing, decreasing, shaping, etc. (with more illustrations.)  It is worth it to buy one of her magazines just to get her VERY CLEAR illustrations.  Plus you will get all the beautiful patterns in that issue.  Her magazines are like eye candy!  BUT I have to check for them often at the bookstore, because they only order one or two copies, and when they are gone, they are gone.  I wish they weren't quite so expensive, but I realize I am also paying for shipping from Australia.   I do love them!!!

ScottishSue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 2:19 AM

Hi ScottishSue,

If you miss an issue, try her website.  There's a preview for the upcoming issue.  Could you tell me in which one you found her instructions for square stitch; maybe I can order the same from her (listed in the magazine index).  Thanks for the information on the differences between the three types.  I agree -- her magazine is some major eye candy; enjoyed browsing through the index.  And well worth the price.

Thanks again,

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (0019 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 2:26 AM

Hey Karin,

I'm adding the instructions for versions 2 & 3.  Mostly illustrations which reduce the need for translations.  Back to work.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (0026 PDT)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 10:24 AM

Hi Sarah:

In her magazine, Jill Oxton does ONLY cross stitch embroidery and square stitch beading -- so the instructions for square stitch are in each and every issue -- at the back of the magazine, like the "Technique" section in the back of each Beadwork magazine.  Of course, her instructions have evolved and slightly changed over the years.  The instructions and illustrations I looked at were from Issue 86 (BUT they have been exactly that same way since Issue 82). Before that, she had one less diagram for them and they were arranged differently, but the information is still there.  So take your pick of the issues.  

In the pattern portion of the magazine, she usually shows a pattern done in BOTH cross stitch and in square stitch with a graph and a key containing Anchor thread colors, DMC thread colors,  and Miyuki Delica 11/0 bead colors.  For the Delicas, she also lists the quantity of beads needed.  Then she will also tell whether the square stitching should be done in Basic, Rigid, or Semi-Rigid.  

ScottishSue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 2:39 PM

Hi Ottercat,

It must be a lot of work. I'm very much looking forward to it.

I was reading this whole thread back and noticed that you asked me a question I didn't answer. I'm right handed.

Succes with the writing!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 10:25 PM

Thanks ScottishSue.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (2025 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 12, 2012 10:40 PM

Hi SeaBeads,

More tedious than hard work -- using Microsoft Word.  Not using any 'templates', so I have to 'build' each illustration piece-by-piece (or in this case, bead-by-bead), then add the thread path -- for each step.  Hopefully the steps will be clear, even without written instructions.  Got to stop revising the pages -- clear enough (I hope).

I'm also right-handed; drink my coffee (all beverages) with my left hand; figured it would be good to learn to use my left hand  (creates new pathways in the brain).

Thanks -- hope you won't mind proof-reading it; I'm too close and my husband doesn't bead.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

09-12-12 (2040 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 13, 2012 5:21 PM

Hi Ottercat,

I've been cleaning the waterline of our boat for 3 days now and my right arm really started hurting. Today I tried it with my left arm. At first I was useless but in the end I managed. Very satisfying.

I don't even know what a template is. Of course I'd love proof-reading it.

Greetings from Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 14, 2012 3:39 AM

Thanks, Karin

I'm getting there -- trying to make the illustrations as clear as I can.  Your input will help greatly.

The template I'm referring to is a form that is used to create documents; letters, notices, order forms -- examples of.  Not sure if there's one for writing a book or booklet -- so I'm winging it (logically I hope).

Thanks again,

Sarah Coffee

09-14-12 (0138 PDT)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 178
carolee1945 wrote
on Sep 19, 2012 9:15 AM

I am interested in this stitch too!!!

Page 3 of 5 (72 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS