Ottercats' loomless loomstitch

This post has 71 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 129
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 6:17 PM

"I would like to know who developed Square stitch?"

Don't think I can answer that question, but I tried to find out which of my books and magazines mentioned it early on.  The first mention of square stitch in Beadwork was Spring 1998.  For Bead&Button, it was December 1998.  Then I found it in Carol Wilcox Well's Creative Bead Weaving, which was first published in 1996.   I also found it in The New Beadwork by Kathlyn Moss and Alice Scherer, which has a copyright of 1992. That is about as far back as I can go, because I started beading in 1992.  I am wondering if it was covered in Virginia Blakelock's Those Bad Bad Beads from 1990?  I, myself, do not own that book.  It is not in the 1984 edition of Horace Goodhue's Indian Bead-Weaving Patterns (but that could just be because the Native American's he studied didn't do any work with square stitch.)

Anyone know if it is in Blakelock's book or in anything earlier than 1992?

ScottishSue 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 9:50 PM

Hi SeaBeads,

I miss being at sea, but my knees don't (hard metal decks).  Good -- only difference would be no movement and no soft landings (but dry).  Rocking of the ship used to put me to sleep; miss that, too.  Watch your eyesight -- look away from time to time (esp'ly long distance) if you're not doing that already.  Do you have a sketchbook?  Great for jotting down ideas Idea -- for later working.  If I don't jot (write) it down, I usually forget it (idea).

I'm working on a cuff bracelet using a bead kit (just various beads -- sizes, shapes, colors) that I bought on clearance from Walmart (bought two of same); just an idea for using 90 Degree Off-Loom (90DO-L) -- see what it looks like worked in different beads.  And working on that tutorial.  Thank you for your comments.  That's my husband's favorite piece Big Smile; he made the frame and took the pictures.

May I add you to 'friends' in my bio?  I think I'll use an otter with cat-like coloration (calico?) for my advatar (in seed beads).

Later and Take Care,

Sarah Coffee

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 9:59 PM

Thank you, ScottishSue,

I appreciate your efforts to find out about Square stitch.  All my earlier books are mainly needlework (counted cross-stitch, etc.) -- patterns that can be used in loom work.  I don't remember the magazines, but have a couple of bead catalogs.  Thanks again.

Ottercat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 2:41 AM

Hi Sarah,

Yes, I gladly be your friend. Will you be mine too?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 2:38 PM

Hi Karin,

Thanks Big Smile.  Yes, I'll be your friend, too.

'talk' to you later,

Sarah Coffee

09-04-12 1238 PDT

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 4:34 PM

Hi Sarah,

Maybe I'm very stupid but I don't know how to add you as a friend. Do you?

Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 5, 2012 5:18 PM

Hi Karin,

No, you're not stupid.  I went to your bio and clicked on 'add to friends' under your avatar, then a separate window came up to send a request to you.  Check your email -- I think you should have gotten an email request from me to add as 'friend'.  I checked both our bios -- we're both listed under 'Friends'.  Check your bio (click on your avatar in here) and see.  Surprised that there's no 'instructions' on this site.

Let me know if that helps,

Sarah Coffee

09-05-12 (1516 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 327
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 6, 2012 5:53 PM

Yessssssssssssss, we sure are friends now!

To be continued.................

Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 8, 2012 4:20 PM

Good! Big Smile.  Thanks Karin.

Hope everyone understands that I'm not trying to 'sell' anything -- just wanted to share something that really helped me to get over things (forced retirement, laid-off from my first civilian job after 20 months, miles from my sister and her family, etc.)  First I had to be sure that I hadn't rediscovered an existing stitch (even checked with a Native in one of my classes; didn't know anyone in their beading world); then I had to find the right outlet and format to get it out there.  I almost gave up on that -- my reception at another site Sad (no answers or communication -- just a form reply).  Now I understand the chill I felt after my first post Confused  -- you all must have thought I wasn't 'real'; I've been reading here and there.  Thanks that this is a community, not just another seller's site.  And thanks to you all, I'm starting to branch out from weaving to explore other techniques, but weaving off-loom will always be my base.

Sarah Coffee

09-08-12 (1419 PDT)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 1:06 AM

Sarah and Sue...............no mention at all of square stitch in Blakelock's book. I have a goodly quantity of Native American books here also and will glance through them to see if there is any mention of square in them. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 1:20 AM

Also, in googling the history of square stitch, I came up with this link to an article off the beadwrangler website. www.beadwrangler.com/.../squarestitch1/square_stitch_history.htm.

If the link doesn't work, generally it states that square wasn't really seen until 1990's but Valerie Hector who is a bead historian has an example of Straits Chinese work that appears to be "two drop square stitch" but she won't destroy the piece just to prove it out.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 129
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 9:52 AM

Donna -- Thanks!  I am finding this historical search very interesting.  I always thought all the beading stitches had been handed down throughout the ages!

I also thought to look at Jill Oxton’s magazine “Cross Stitch & Bead Weaving”  The magazine comes from Australia.  The earliest one I have is from 2001 (Issue 52), but the magazine was published for years before that.  She shows THREE methods of doing Square Stitch:  Basic, Rigid, and Semi-Rigid.

Sarah -- You might take at look at Jill Oxton’s three methods.  You might be able to apply her methods to your stitch and vary it into three types.  (The stitch guides are always at the back of her magazines and currently the magazine is published three times a year).

ScottishSue

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,539
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 12:42 PM

Sarah and Sue, Well, I took my collection of 5 Native American beading books and sat up in bed scanning and reading. I can honestly say that there is nothing in them like square stitch. It would occur to me though that anyone doing loomwork might have used square to do a repair on a piece of loomwork as it would be the logical way to anchor for a broken thread. I have used square stitch to make a repair in one of my larger loomed pieces. Now I can see the difference in the way the beads sit, but in the overall picture, it didn't show. If an experienced loom person looked at the work, they'd possibly spot it, no one else has to date. And now the piece is sold so it will be in a private collection from here on out. Donna

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 129
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 4:23 PM

Thanks again, Donna.

ScottishSue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 8:20 PM

Thank you, Donna

I checked out the link -- lots of good info; apparently they're trying to document beading history, so the information isn't lost at a later date (seems to have happened several times).  Wonder if an x-ray or some other method would reveal the stitch -- I don't blame her for preserving the piece.

Sarah Coffee

09-09-12 (1820 PDT)

Page 2 of 5 (72 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS