Ottercats' loomless loomstitch

This post has 71 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Aug 21, 2012 9:41 PM

Hi Ottercat,

Better talk about your stitch here or else we get a load of comments on posts that have nothing to do with the post itself. If you understand what I mean.

I'm very interested in the stitch you developed. How very clever! You can do very intricate work with it.

I hope my English is understandable. Sometimes I'm not sure how to spell words and to lazy to look them up.

Greetings,

SeaBeads.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 5:09 AM

Hi SeaBeads,

Thanks for starting this post.  You're right -- better to keep the posts and comments on the same subject; less confusing (among other things).

Glad you're interested.  As soon as I get the tutorial (handbook) finished, I'll email you a copy if you would like one; free-of-charge.

I started the stitch in November 1997 and have used it ever since.  Afterwards, I did some research and couldn't find anything similar to it until about 2004 (?) when I bought a book with a project using 'Square' stitch.  About the only things the two stitches share in common are that both are non-alternating and appear similar to loom work.  'Square' stitch is worked in the same direction as loom work; beads are oriented with the holes open left and right (on their sides).  In '90 Degree Off-Loom' stitch, the beads are oriented with the holes top and bottom (on their ends).  Take a piece of loom work and turn it on its side to the left -- hence the name '90 Degree Off-Loom'.

Your English is fine; I've no excuse since it's my 'mother tongue'.  However sometimes my word usage is confusing (spent a couple of years in Scotland), so if I'm not making sense -- tell me.

It's Karin right?  I'm Sarah Coffee.

Thanks and Take Care,

Ottercat            (08-22-12 0306 PDT)

Be yourself.  Everyone else is already taken.  ~ Oscar Wilde

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 5:18 AM

Hey SeaBeads,

I want to share (not sell) '90 Degree Off-Loom' stitch.  Let me know what you think.

Bye for now,

Ottercat               (08-22-12 0315 PDT)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Aug 22, 2012 7:47 AM

Hi Sarah,

Yes, it's Karin.

Please send me a copy when you've finished writing the handbook. You could do that by email, couldn't you? As I have no fixed adress.

Looking forward to it!

Greetings,

SeaBeads.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 2:55 AM

Hi Karin,

Still working on it -- soon as I'm done.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 5:14 AM

Hi Sarah,

Now that I read things back I hope I didn't sound ungratefull about you sharing your stitch handbook and not selling it.

Good luck with the writing.

Greetings,

Karin.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 10:52 PM

Hey Karin,

The whole idea is to 'share' this stitch.  Email doesn't cost anything.  In booklet form, I would have to charge for the materials and postage.  Besides, I'm hoping you'll review the writing and let me know what you think.  It's mostly illustrations for each step.  Are you right-handed or left-handed; I'm mostly right-handed (depends on what I'm doing).

Thanks for your interest Smile.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 567
Beadiecat wrote
on Aug 27, 2012 1:03 PM

I'm intrigued.  How does this stitch differ from ladder stitch?

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Aug 27, 2012 11:24 PM

Hi Cat,

Ladder stitch is the foundation for starting 90 Degree Off-Loom stitch (use two beads instead of one bugle bead per 'stitch' in row; doing two rows at once).  Further rows are added by stitching beads directly to the foundation without alternating Smile.  There is a distinct pattern to this -- unlike Square stitch (worked in same direction as loom work), 90 Degree Off-Loom stitch is worked from the side of loom work (flip 90 degrees to left; that is the project beginning ; without the warp threads).  Please keep in mind that I developed this stitch in isolation Idea (November 1997); just a book of triangle earring patterns/instructions, my first project (Peyote stitch coin purse (clear beads, color-clear)), my experience with knitting & crochet techniques, and no inkling that Square stitch existed.  Had I known about Square stitch prior, we wouldn't be having this discussion.  On second thought, 90 Degree Off-Loom stitch, which I prefer for most of my projects, is firmer that Square stitch (flexes too much).

I would like to know who developed Square stitch?  I remember loom work (my first beading experience), Peyote stitch, and Brick stitch from my childhood, but Square stitch is a new one (to me).

Have a look at 'Winter Tree', 'Sister Moon', and/or 'Halloween Kids' in the Reader Photo Gallery -- all are worked in 90 Degree Off-Loom stitch.

Thanks for asking,

Sarah Coffee

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 2:57 PM

Sorry Cat Embarrassed -- I just now 'searched' internet for the Ladder stitch (should have done first! Sad).  The difference between the stitches is that the beads are interlocked (anchored) bead-by-bead (90 Degree Off-Loom).  Instead of using another stitch to complete the project (Ladder -- foundation), just continue with this stitch (90DO-L).  I'm currently writing up the tutorial (rev#3) which should help.  I've been reading the posts (esp'ly about mistakes in instructions, not proofread or poorly done), so I'm taking special care with mine -- hence rewrite #3 Smile.  My husband has been so understanding (one computer).

Thanks so much for your question -- you guys are so helpful & understanding; another site just gave me the cold shoulder (the 'Experts') about this stitch and their site isn't user friendly Crying.  But I'm over that.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 3:33 AM

Hi Ottercat,

Good that you're over it. There's a saying in Dutch that goes: he who laughs last, laughs best.

Thanx for your comments on my posts.

Keep up the good work!

Greetings from Karin.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 11:49 AM

Ottercat:

Do you use a single needle or two needles?

ScottishSue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 1:25 PM

Hi ScottishSue,

I use a single needle.  The hardest part is the 'base' (rows 1 & 2), then one bead at a time.

Thanks for asking,

Ottercat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 353
ottercat wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 1:44 PM

Thanks Karin,

Guess I was in the wrong place back then, but as my husband likes to say 'timing is everything'.

I like your work -- being on the water seems to be good for your creativity (your 'muse'); being in 'dry dock' will be another experience.

Later,

Sarah Coffee

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 325
SeaBeads wrote
on Sep 3, 2012 2:18 PM

Hi Ottercat, being on the water is fantastic as you well know yourself. To be on the hard for a couple of weeks is not so bad. We've done it before. The yard is very kind to let us live on our lovely Rita while she's on the hard  so we won't have to spend money on renting a place and we got everything we need. Toilets, showers, water and electricity. What more do you want! Beading, of course. How addictive is that? I want to do it day and night now which is a bit ridiculous but I can't help myself.

I'm really looking forward to see some new post of yours. I guess you're too busy writing your tutorial. I've just studied your tree post again and it's marvelous. It twinkles.

Greetings from Karin.

Page 1 of 5 (72 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS