Tear in Beading

This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 16
SimplyDaily wrote
on Aug 20, 2012 11:12 PM

I'm using Nymo size B for my project. I had my thread break and although I'm reasonably certain I'll have to tear out the several rows I had done after the tear and start new (if anyone has an alternative to this I'll be happy to listen) I was wondering what I did to cause the tear to happen in the first place. Its 9 beads long in even-count flat peyote (about half the width of the piece) in size 11 TOHO Treasure beads. I'm reasonably certain I didn't split the thread and want to know how to prevent this in the future!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 8:05 AM

I've never used Nymo {I prefer WIldfire and Fireline}, but it could have just been a weak spot in the thread. :) The only way to prevent that would be to switch threads, but I imagine you can finish the piece with Nymo just fine. Seed beads usually don't have sharp edges, but if you're worried about that then you can check and file them away. :)

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Not Ranked
Posts 16
SimplyDaily wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 8:08 AM

I hope so! I've been interested in trying Wildfire or Fireline but they're about $15 for a small spool where I live so I"m wary to make the investment then hate it! Could you tell me a little bit more on how well they work?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 12:28 PM

Simply.............. size B Nymo and size 11 Treasures are not a good match up for peyote stitch. That B is a bit too light. I'd move to at least D Nymo off the big cone (a bit heavier than the small bobbins) or as you are currently thinking, move to Fireline, and I'd go with 6# Fireline. With peyote you have a minimum of thread through each bead, so if you manage to abraid the line somewhere along the way, it really could break. I have used loooooong lengths of Nymo D and it can look pretty unkempt but has never broken. Nymo B I use doubled or for very small beads.

Fireline is much stronger, be prepared to use something like Thread Heaven on it though, warm it up a bit by running it through your hands, thread your needle on the end that comes off the spool, and at first don't work with really long quantities. I am used to it and have used as much as 6' at a time and do fine with it. I also warp up my looms with it and have worked with as much as 20 yards at a time with it.

Wildfire has not been one of my favorites, but I have found uses for it. Before it came out, a group of us were given the dark smoke Wildfire to test and give our opinion on. I am fussy and will pull stitches out if they are not right and the black flaked off the Wildfire making my dark project have light spots...........hated that. Recently I did a very exaggerated Cellini spiral and used the white Wildfire, the extra thickness of it made the spiral very shapely. Wildfire is rated at a higher strength (how much do you need for a small bead?) but it is also stiffer and thicker. At .20mm with Fireline at .15mm, so Fireline is plenty tough enough to hold beads, but thinner. For peyote that may not make a difference, but for a stitch like square  where you end up with 4 to 6 threads through each bead, it makes a difference. Fireline is "da bomb" along with Nymo D at my house. Donna

P.S.: look for Fireline at sporting goods or fishing supply places, it will come cheaper to you that way.........just do NOT get talked into anything other then Fireline. There are other products that are made to degrade in sunlight to be environmentally correct and you do not want to use them for beading.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
MaryC@192 wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 2:24 PM

Walmart is a good place to find Fireline.  I have also found some good deals on it on E-bay.   If you use E-bay look under fishing supplies and not beading supplies as the SAME product is often priced lower under fishing supplies.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
SimplyDaily wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 3:22 PM

I might try Ebay.I live in a fairly rural area so only the sole beading store carries any beading thread whatsoever and its about an hour away.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 25, 2012 5:26 PM

Simply, I am in a rural area also, we don't even have Walmart or Target stores! I buy mine online from FishUSA. It is not the cheapest, but they are my fave and understand that beaders use this stuff also. A couple of us locals will get together and buy at the same time and split postage. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 521
on Aug 26, 2012 1:56 AM
Cabela's is a great place to order Fireline from. They have multiple sizes in both Smoke and Crystal and it is hands-down, the cheapest place to buy it. My local sporting goods store sells only 8 and 10# and charges$20-$25 for only 125 yards. At Cabela's you get 300 yards for $29.99. just go to Cabela's.com happy beading! shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,276
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 26, 2012 7:05 AM

I am so lucky I have a Cabela's and a Bass Pro both pretty close to my back yard. I am just about 17 miles from Cabela's in Dundee Michigan, and 19 miles from Bass Pro in Perrysburg Ohio. But only 4 miles from the closest Dick's Sporting Store. Oh the joys of living in SE Michigan.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Aug 26, 2012 8:20 PM

SimplyDaily:

I hope so! I've been interested in trying Wildfire or Fireline but they're about $15 for a small spool where I live so I"m wary to make the investment then hate it! Could you tell me a little bit more on how well they work?

As I said, I don't use Nymo {or other nylon threads, really}, so I can't do a compare/contrast for you, but...I'm willing to spend the money for both of them. Wildfire is thicker and stiffer, in my experience. It's what I started out on, and it's still what I use the most. A few weeks ago, though, I got a 125yd spool of Fireline from Walmart for around $15. I got it in smoke, and I think it's either 6 or 8 lb. The coating rubs off on your fingers, so I suggest running it through a paper towel or something a good few times before using it. Other than that, it's not as stiff as Wildfire which makes it better for pieces you want to drape more, but not a good combo with crystals unless you know what you're doing. I still, honestly, prefer Wildfire though. Unpopular opinion around here, it seems, but it's what I naturally reach for because I usually prefer my pieces to be a bit stiffer. :) Also, I know Wildfire has great lasting power - I made a ring for daily wear when I lost my class ring {I feel naked without a ring now lol} a month ago or so, and it's been through a move + numerous loads of hand-washed dishes, and it's held together brilliantly. :)

I do agree with what others have said though - get Fireline from fishing supply stores/places that sell fishing supplies. :) If you got a spool of Fireline from Fire Mountain Gems, for instance, it'd be about double the price {I think}.

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,846
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 26, 2012 11:38 PM

Well, Sue!

Not only do I have a Dick's in my backyard (I live in the very town it originated in!), since I live near Finger Lakes Country, there are marinas all over the place, and pretty much every last one of 'em carry Fireline in their shops, so talk about mega-convenient!  Not to mention, I can do a little wine tasting and gourmet dining whilst I'm at it!  Sigh....I do so love living near the Finger Lakes, especially Seneca.SmileDrinks

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Aug 27, 2012 2:08 PM

LOL, yumemiru, I agree. Big Smile  It is an unpopular opinion, but I prefer Wildfire too.  Maybe because I like to use a lot of crystals.  I also have lots of Fireline and KO in my supply stash, but when I want something strong, I go straight for the Wildfire! heehee

Cat

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS