Star Ring

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
jeanarick wrote
on Aug 15, 2012 4:13 PM

I've been struggling to make a star ring to match the design of my bead embroidery book cover.  After doing a lot of research I decided on the circular brick stitch to make a base for my star points to attach to.  From there I experimented with using 6/0 seed beads but they made the base too big:

It was cute, but not the look I was going for.  So then I decided to use 11/0 seed beads.  And the base ended up the size I needed.  But I still wasn't happy with the results.  The largest points of the star were "floppy":

Next I tried using beading wire to make the largest point and finally ended up with something that looked more like a star and a finished product I was happier with:

I made the band with 11/0 seed beads and stretch cord.  There is still lots of room for improvement but I think I'm getting closer to the final look I wanted.  Any feedback to help me improve would be appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 16, 2012 2:22 AM

Oh my goodness, you must be so worn out!  I agree; going with the smaller gauge seed beads was a good idea; now it looks more......airy, more dainty. See where I'm going with this?  I'm not meaning it in a girly, froufrou way, either.  Just....more suitible for a lady's finger.

I have one question, and it is only for clarification: am I seeing some kind of white cotton stitching at the center of the piece?  Otherwise, I really like it so much!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 96
on Aug 16, 2012 12:44 PM

I make a couple of different forms of stars, I use 6lb fireline.  When I get the shape finished it is floppy at first, but then I make several passes back through the design and that stiffens it up nicely.  I have made several pairs of earrings doing this.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
jeanarick wrote
on Aug 16, 2012 2:15 PM

Thanks for your feedback. It is not a cotton thread but a silk one and I agree with you that I'm not crazy about the look, it was all I had on hand at the time.  It isn't seen when the ring is on, so it didn't bother me much.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
jeanarick wrote
on Aug 16, 2012 2:18 PM

I was going to use fireline but the one I had was too big .  I'll keep that in mind for next time.  Thanks so much!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 17, 2012 11:15 PM

Oh, I see.  Can you set a simple cab over it, or would that be overkill?  It is quite lovely, though.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS