Question on booth prices

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
lrutland wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 11:36 AM

Hi All,

There is a yearly craft show coming up at a local church.  It is a three day event and fairly well attended.  The price for a booth is $150.00.  I am new at this and I really don’t know if this is a good price of am I being rip off.

Thanks,

Linda

www.tradewindbeads.net

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,502
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 11:56 AM

Linda, even a historically "well attended" church bazaar might not be that good this year. I have several pals who sell at shows and such and they are all earning much less than in past years. At an upscale flea market we used to pay $40 for two tables for one day.......

I guess it depends on how big a city you are in, how much advertisement goes out, and whether you have someone who can give you some breaks.........standing on your feet for three days is just horrid, no potty breaks is not fun either. When we sold, hubby would watch my stuff and ditto, but there was always someone waiting for me when I got back from my 5 minute trip to the restrooms. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
shanks wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 3:20 PM

Location, location,location.  That would be way too much if you were put in the basement (been there). I would ask what the attendance was at the last one and find out where you would be if you were assigned a space. For that price you should be in a high traffic area. Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,959
SEllen 2 wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 3:25 PM

Hi Linda,

Your $150.00 for a 3 day show only comes to $50.00 a day. In my part of the country a one day show can cost anywhere from $90 - $150.00 for a single booth.  But if you're uncertain you might check with your local chamber of commerce and see if they have a listing of shows/events in your area and what their fees are. This might give you a guide of how wide a range of fees and where your event fits into them.

First I would find out what you get for your $150.00 booth fee. Here are somethings you might want to know.

1. What size booth are you getting for the price. How many of your tables will fit in it. 

2. If a small show do they provide tables for the booths or are you suppose to provide your own.(Most of the time you provide your own.)

3. Ask if there will be electrical outlets available for use at each booth. (If you need them for extra lighting etc.)

4. Is the booth indoors or out on the grounds.

5. How many vendors/booths are they expecting to have.

6. Is this a handcrafted only show or are you going to be competing with mass production vendors.

7. Are they charging an admittence fee. ( We had our first show that did this and it was a major bust. This just did not work in our area.)

8. Since it is a 3 day event do you have to pack up each night or is there going to be nightly security on watch.

9. How much advertising are they doing for the event & ask if it is print ads, radio, etc. (You might be surprised what some will call "advertising". )Basically the more advertising the better.

10.Is the event organizer going to be on hand at the event to answer questions/help with any confussion. (It's never a good sign when even the organizer won't show up.)Hmm

11. Find out about vender parking for loading and unloading. Is it easy access or is it a long haul. Automobile

12. Make sure the bathrooms will be open and available during the event hours. Embarrassed

13. Find out about set up & tear down times. Time In most of our shows we are allowed to set up our tables & back drops,etc. the day before so all we need to do on the day of the show is set out our pieces. Also check into closing/tear down times. Some of our shows will not allow a vendor back to the event if they start closing/tearing down early.

14. Are they going to be selling the no show vendor booths at discounted rates. (One venue did this to us not only were the booth fees drastically cut they also let mass production vendors have them when it was suppose to be "handcrafted" only. Angry We wont be doing that show again.)

15. You may also want to know, if your inside, if there will be air conditioning for summer events. (If not, this is where the electrical outlets can come in handy for a small fan. Or you'll know if you want to pass on the event completely. In the summer in Texas No AC NO SHOW.) No

These are some of the questions we've learned the hard way to ask. Now some of these may not be important to you but these are what we consider important for us to know.

Good Luck & Let us know how the show goes

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 5
lrutland wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 8:45 PM

Thanks for the input tabout my quretion your quick replay. I will find out more info and follow up.

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 5
lrutland wrote
on Aug 12, 2012 9:02 PM

I'll let you know how it goes! Thanks.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
shanks wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 11:22 AM

Great list of things to check. Wish I had made such a list.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
SimplyDaily wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 12:08 PM

This list is great! I'm hoping do some shows next summer and this checklist will definitely help me decide!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Aug 13, 2012 12:42 PM

All excellent points sellen! I've been to more than one "craft show" where I was next to a Cookie Lee or Lia Sohpia commercial jewelry vendor. Needless to say, I was not happy about it!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS