What is the name of this type of bead?

This post has 15 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Aug 3, 2012 12:41 PM

I just found this rosary at a thrift store and am wondering what the name for this type of bead is? Any help is very much appreciated!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
shanks wrote
on Aug 3, 2012 3:15 PM

The Czeck refer to them as "Drops"

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 3, 2012 5:11 PM

They look like faceted lampwork beads to me.  Are you selling the rosary?  I'm Catholic, and afaic, one can never have too many rosaries.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Aug 4, 2012 5:22 AM

Thank you, shanks! I google-imaged "drops" and I can't find any that have the flat bottom like these have...they all seem more or less rounded. I also can't seem to find any clear beads that have this metallic rod center. Do you know of the name for this type of center color?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Aug 4, 2012 5:31 AM

Thank you valbeads! I resarched "lampwork" beads per your suggestion...those all seem to be all be colored glass within colored glass...these beads a center of a blue metal rod...is that still lampwwork?. I wish I could find another example! No, I'm not selling the rosary :) ITA with you that one can never have too many!  I collect them for the art and craftsmenship...sometimes their beauty stuns!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 4, 2012 10:34 AM

TG,

Sure!  They can have all different kinds of centers.  I am a lampwork bead fiend.  You should see all the different kinds I have.  Some have flowers, some confetti, some foil.....the list goes on and on.

I am the guardian of a Holy relic- one of Blessed John Paul II personal rosaries!  It just so happens his niece goes to my parish.  She gifted it to me because she knows how much I love him, and because I suffer a great deal physically, as he did.  It is a beautiful piece, and I keep it close to me always.

Cal

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 4, 2012 10:35 AM

Oh, my fatfingering!  I'm giving myself a new name!  Sigh......

Val(not Cal!)

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 540
shanks wrote
on Aug 4, 2012 11:59 AM

Give this site a look and see if  these are not what you are looking for. When you get on their page, click firepolished and go to the upper right hand corner and in the search block type in "drops"

http://www.gbbeads.cz

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 4, 2012 1:19 PM

TGP, are you positive that the centers are metal? could they just be a metallic colored glass? Those are nice beads and may not even be made currently. Change your search words. Try briolette, but briolettes are pointed on one end and rounded on the other......not flattened off on both ends. There IS for sure a name for them but they are not common.The color inside clear glass in certain forms is called "cased" or cane glass, so try those terms, especially cased.

Try searching the swarovski site, they may list old beads that are not in production now. I have some odd bicones and found that they are an old style, no longer made. So look there, although my guess is that they are not swarovski made, but Czech. Try a search for Czech faceted glass beads and take a look at the top 10 venders listed.......they are likely to be larger ones. Look up Czech faceted cased drops. Let us know what you find, I'm always into learning. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 2:11 PM

They look like color-lined Czech fire-polished drops. This pic is from eBay, here is the listing info

7 1/8" Str 7mm Long Faceted Czech Glass Drops Clear Copper Lined Beads A236 DNG

Actual crystal has sharp, definite edges on the facet edges. Fire-polished beads have slightly rounded edges, as a result of the polishing with fire. You can feel this difference more than see it.

Btw, drop beads come in all kinds of size and shape.  The variety of Czech glass shapes and colors is breathtaking.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 4:45 PM

Kipper, you are a very good researcher..........I think you have it nailed!! They say copper lined, but the lining is probably a copper coating, not an actual piece of copper...............

Stars to you.............Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 8:13 PM

Donna, I think the inner colors may be a thin layer of colored glass, or it may even be a dye.

Color-lined beads interest me.  It's only recently that I've realized that the Czech Republic makes color-lined firepolish and druk beads.  I think all the seed bead manufacturers also make them.

Stars accepted! Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,468
D.M.Z wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 8:34 PM

my fave beads (delicas) have a nice range of ICL which are inside color lined and they really amplity the color coming through the clear glass...........I love to use ICL's in certain places. When I do dog portraits I use the ICL black for the eyes as they look like they have a bit of depth. Yummy.

Those beads look like they are faceted (rather than firepolished) and probably not dyed inside as such as the dyed inside beads usually are not that good, so most likely painted..............I picture wee little Czech elves with paintbrushes made out of one or two hairs carefully painting inside of each one.................nah, that's probably not right either. LOL, Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
Valbeads wrote
on Aug 8, 2012 10:12 PM

You found them!!!  Those are pretty.  I'd like to have some.  Do you think they have any more in any other colours?

Val

PS- I guess now I know they're not lampwork!

Val

boutiquev.us

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Aug 9, 2012 9:44 AM

Thank you everyone, but especially kippercat! These are it! The blue lining is metallic in appearance, definitely. I so very much appreciate everyone who took the time to help me! Happy beading to you all :)

This might provide a better look at the interior...

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS