Question about one of a kind items/limited stock-

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 7:55 PM

I have purchased gems from the Gem Show here in Houston. Obviously, I am not going to purchase in mass quantities, but in a reasonable amount for my budget, which limits the number of items I can create and therefore sell.  I would like to offer things on my website and on my FB store, but, listing several things as One of a Kind, that I have mostly made for myself or a close friend or relative, is really not conducive to getting new business. If I saw a website that showed most items were one of a kind, I probably would not shop it. I have made some things and strung them in a temporary fashion so that I could reuse the beads, but I don't really feel that's a good solution either. Any thoughts???? As I am not a bead store (much as my husband would beg to differ from the storage drawers upstairs!), I am struggling with this. I don't really like to make a lot of stuff in a permanent fashion to sell, when I really haven't sold all that much. But honestly, when I am at the Gem Show, I see lots of different projects to use the specific beads for, but, alas, I just don't OWN enough to make them all!! HELP!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,355
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 9:15 PM

Maybe just changing the descriptor to "only one made with this particular stone" or something along that line. Then you could theoretically make more than one necklace out of your pattern maybe in different colorways and with different focal stones.

Personally..............I am drawn to a one of a kind jewelry item and would rather not see someone else in the same piece as the one I spent $$$ for on your site. Just my take on it, maybe this will help. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 478
Calico3 wrote
on Jul 31, 2012 4:31 AM

I agree with D.M.Z.  Her advice on the wording of your item descriptions is excellent.

Most people I've encountered prefer one-of-a-kind jewelry when buying from individual artists online. That's the whole point. Otherwise they'd just go to the mall to buy that new bracelet, necklace, etc., that a gazillion other people have.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jul 31, 2012 8:06 PM

Thanks-great idea for the wording. I do feel that "custom" pieces are just that, and not "mass produced", but also feel badly when someone wants something I've made like that and I cannot make one for them also. Guess I'm a "people pleaser" at heart! LOL!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
wmweeza wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 12:38 AM

I don't like to wear jewelry or buy jewelry that I know 10,000 other people have. I LIKE one of a kind, and almost everything I sell is one of a kind

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 5:57 PM

I've always used one-of-a-kind as a selling point. unless you are making stuff that someone may wants to requests multiples for (say, for a bridal party) I think that most people like knowing they'll be the only one to ever wear something!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS