Any suggestions for Beading in Bed?

This post has 44 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jul 26, 2012 6:56 PM

Does anyone have any advice for beading in bed?  I've looked at tables like this one, and think it would help,  As a bonus, I could also use it for its original purpose. ;->  I do have a good light available.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 12:01 AM

Hey,I like that!  Where'd you find that and is it expensive?  I'd like to be able to bead in bed too, especially on the days where I'm really feeling miserable(and I seem to be having a lot of those latelySad), so I'm definitely up for suggestions, too.  Thanks for bringing the subject up, sweetie!

Val 

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 12:20 AM

Val, it's on Amazon for a little over $50.  I'm having Net problems tonite, but here's the location

www.amazon.com/Furinno-Adjustable-Laptop-Desk-Multifuctional/dp/B004QXIFCC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 2:48 AM

Thanks for the 411.  You didn't get that horrible electrical storm and tornado, too did you?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
ErinK42 wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 7:33 AM

I use a framed piece of cork board with a bead mat or large piece of felt stapled to it all the way around. I have them in several sizes, so I can take them with me to use in a camp chair or curl up in bed on a bad day. It costs me under $10 even for the really large one I have.

Erin K

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 1:06 PM

Erin, that's an improvement over my bead mat resting on a cookie sheet! 

Val, I didn't notice the storm, so it couldn't have been too bad here. 

Here's another pic of the table set for use in bed.  I would really like something like this for using the laptop in bed, to keep the weight and heat off of my lap.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
MaryC@192 wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 2:01 PM

The best thing to use a one of those trays used to serve breakfast in bed.   I have one where the legs can be folded up or down and the sides have little wall that keeps the beads from falling off.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 4:04 PM

Erin, that does sound like a good idea; I just worry I might accidentally bump it and everything will go flying.  Plus, I share my bed with two Westies!

I really like the look of that.  I think maybe I'll see about scraping my pennies together for it.  I don't mind the heat on my lap when it's coldb ut this time of the year?  Ew!

Oh, we had a horrible storm last night!  Trees down everywhere.  Hurricane-force winds, and just blinding rain.  I was terrified.  I think I sprouted at least a dozen more grey hairs.  Both our neghbors to either side of us lost trees but for some bizzare reason, we didn't.  Guess God decided to cut us some slack.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 5:08 PM

Hey! That's not a bad idea at all!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 7:25 PM

Funny, just last night I saw a "Lap Table" for a Computer. $9.98@ Wal-Mart.  I thought, humm, going back into RV Life, I am gonna need that.Wink.

I could bungie cord a pillow on the bottom bigger than the Lap Table, Add some double sided Duck tape to the Beading Tray.. It would be RV ready.Yes

Currently I bead sitting on the couche with my Palm nestled next to me. I use an old Arby's plastic tray with a Bead Mat (cut to fit). I use Wide Masting tape to hold it in place.(I mark the inches to keep track of the length of my Bracelets as I bead)  The Masting Tape(could use painters tape too)It keeps the little beads from sneaking under the mat.)

The Tray is half the size of a regular TV Tray. It settled down into a standard size bed pillow. (just for those occassional Sneezes that send beads flyingCrying

I also have a "Bead Pallette" that I use, but I only have one and it is well worn and always has an unfinished project on it..

ps. when beading in bed don't forget to prop a pillow under your knee's, to keep your leggs from going to sleep before you doSmile(you can guess how I learned that

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 8:08 PM

LOL, can't tell you how many times I've conked out with a computer on my lap.

Really? $9.98 at Wally World, hey?  I might just have to check it out and see if my local store carries it.

Say, do you think you could upload me a pic of the one you've got with you in the camper?  It might help me out for when I'm on the road, whether in the camper or stuck in the back of the minivan.Confused

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 36
yumemiru wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 8:51 PM

I have to do most of my beading in bed/on the couch due to not having good enough access to a desk. >.> I was in Michael's one day and saw a scrapbooking paper holder. It's about 12x12 at the bottom, but wider at the top. I have an 8x8 bead mat that I use there, and there's plenty of room for tools and other supplies. :3

My Blog: http://anthologybeadgeek.blogspot.com/

My Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/AnthologyBeadwork

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 28, 2012 1:56 PM

How is it for keeping hold of stuff so it doesn't go rolloing everywhere?  Also, because of my spinal damage I have to shift frequently, so is it easy to move around?

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 28, 2012 1:57 PM

And yeah, fatfingering again, that should read "rolling."  Sigh.....Confused

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Jul 28, 2012 6:06 PM

Another option would be an overbed table with a tilting head.  It would make it easier to move around.  These are available from medical supply places.  An adjustable keyboard stand is about the same thing.  The problem I have with either one is they are big and bulky.  The lap desk above does fold flat when not in use.  Some days I want a magic wand. Wink

Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3  Next > | RSS