PEYOTE WEDDING PICTURE

This post has 59 Replies | 6 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 10:08 AM

Hi everyone

Firstly Thank you so much to all of you for your guidance, tips and tricks and support in my journey of this HUGE PEYOTE PROJECT.

The completed picture of our wedding photo charted for peyote. Reason for project is we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary June 13th, 2012 and I did this project as a complete surprise for my Husband. Hardest thing to keep secret when you live with someone 24/7.  I presented it to my Husband on July 14, 2012 Saturday in front of a host of family and friends. His reaction was his grin - he was surprised and thrilled.

376 beads wide x 604 rows in length which is 19" wide x 20 1/4" in length

113,552 beads - Japanese Delica Beads size 11

100 colors of beads

400 yards of fishing line (FIRELINE) 8 lb. test

Weight of project: 1 pound and 3 1/2 ounces

Started: January 12, 2012 and Finished: July 10, 2012. Was very challenging to get done in time. In that time went on vacation for 2 weeks in Mexico and 11 days in Hawaii + severals days taking parents to various doc appointments + life and commitments.

91 pages of word chart

I kept track of my hours on this project: 448 hours

Here is the picture sorry it is blurry - i'm not sure how in the heck to get a better quality picture. As well another picture close up of errors which I have to correct. row 575 which is 30 rows from the bottom and Row 594 which is 11 rows up. Need help in how to fix. I'm thinking it would the easiest to just take out the row at 30 and just bead the 30 rows again. It is very firm piece.

And I'm so open to suggestions and ideas of how to frame this piece. Not sure how to do this let alone find someone who actually knows how to frame a peyote project.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 10:41 AM

You did an amazing job. I remember when you first started, it seems like you had some self doubts, I am sure those doubts are all gone now. Way to extend yourself and do something out of your comfort zone.

Try taking it to a Michael's or Hobby Lobby and see what they suggest for framing.

How many beads are we talking about in the mistake? Is it just one bead that is the problem? Let me know I think I can help with it. I made several mistake repairs myself in the large cross I made a couple of years ago. It's not really hard.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 11:03 AM

Hi Sue

In row 575 is about 30 to 40 beads in a row - refer to picture

In row 594 is about 15 - 20 beads in a row - refer to picture

I was so hoping everyone can see the errors in the picture - the 2nd pic closeup.

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,460
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 2:33 PM

Kathy, I can see them clearly, but I am absolutely of Zero, Zip, Nada in the help dept. I have only learned peyote as my last stitch and still cuss a bunch when I do it. My current learning curve is odd count peyote and it may be my downfall...........LOL.

Someone will help you out with that though.........and again congratulations on it, it rocks. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 3:49 PM

WOW!  What a beautiful work of art!  I am totally blown away by your talent, and your dedication to this project, and I'm sure your husband must be, too.

Something like this definitely deserves a beautiful frame to house it.  My suggestion would be to find a local art gallery and speak to the owner about the best way to frame it.  I'm sure he or she will have some excellent ideas on how to preserve this heirloom so it can be passed down.  It might wind up being on the pricey side, but personally, I think such a beautiful piece is well worth it.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 6:38 PM

Thank you Donna & Val

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
JudyC5201 wrote
on Jul 26, 2012 11:19 PM

Absolutely amazing work and a work of art. When you frame it have a bit of a story about your and  your husband and tuck that behind the work. It will help others to understand you both as people 100 yrs down the track.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 12:41 PM

Thanks Judy - yes I will certainly have the documentation of this piece in the frame.  I'm going to write a story all about this adventure and the stats etc for heirloom purposes.

Just got back from the Vet's office: WEIGHT is: 1 pound and 3 1/2 ounces

Kathy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
elainelynn wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 5:23 PM

That is amazing.  I am in awe.  What a special piece.  Peyote is my favorite but I can't imagine tackling a piece of this magnitude.  Thanks for sharing the pictures.  :)

Elaine

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 90
snybee wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 6:57 PM

Hi, Kathy. Great job on your beading! I think it is beautiful. And I can see your mistakes with the bead based on the closeup but do you think anyone would comment on it? I know, it would always bug you because you know it is there!

I've never had to fix a problem in peyote before, but this is how I would do it:

1.  Break out one of the problem beads in the row near the middle of the all the problem beads. I'm not sure the best way to break that bead but perhaps you could use a slightly larger but sturdier needle than a beading needle to insert into the bead and accomplish this. My only concern is to not break one of the other beads around this bead.

2.  Then take a fine pair of pointed scissors to cut the two threads that had passed through bead. You will then remove the problem beads from this point out and hopefully will have a long enough length of thread to weave into your beadwork to finish off those threads without having to remove many more beads than necessary. This will leave cause a gap in your picture.

3.  Add in a new thread at one of the ends of the gap and weave in a row just like you were doing normal peyote using the correct beads.

4.  Turn the picture around and zip up your opening by going through one of the existing beads on your original beading and into one of the new beads -- this should close up the gap.

I hope I explained this so you can understand it. I'd hate to have to rip out 30 rows and re-bead them, although it sounds like you have this down to a science and can do these rows pretty quickly.

Again, Kathy, beautiful picture and congratulations on 25 years!

Sandy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,248
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 10:22 PM

I would basically do the same thing, but before I broke the bead out I would secure my new thread into a nearby bead. The one thing I would do different, is I would not cut the threads. This would weaken the other beads to the point of falling out. After you weave the new bead in you will never see the old thread, they just sort of fad away. If you do see the threads you can cut them away AFTER do the repair, and you make sure you also secured the neighboring beads really well.  One or two errant beads can be fixed by this method. 

However  this said, I believe that it is more than a signal bead in a row. It looks like it is several beads together. This would make it a little more difficult to repair. You may need to take the whole area out, which I don't believe I would do by the above method. It just may be easier to redo from the errant row to the finish. That being said, you could just leave it, if it is that hard to notice. It is easier for you to notice, because you know the mistake is there.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,742
Kokopelli wrote
on Jul 27, 2012 11:34 PM

OH WOW, you did an amazing job on that! Awesome!

And for the mistake, I'm not sure if I'd rip it out and bead again. Not sure if others can see it. I'm also no help in how to repair it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Jul 29, 2012 9:58 PM

What a MAGNIFICANT project!!! You must surely be proud, as is your hubby, for you to undertake a project of this magnitude!! I think you did an EXCELLENT job and have been waiting for a finished picture post!! This is truly a special piece that you will cherish forever!!! Congratulations!! AND, I think you should send it in to some of the bead magazines!!!! DEFINITELY WORTHY of publishing!!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 9:51 AM

Thanks everyone. It was an adventure. To see this piece in person you can certainly see both the row errors as plain as day.  It looks like a flaw like in fabric.

I look at this everyday and go WOW I can't believe I did that.  I added up the actual days I beaded - it was 82 days total.

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,811
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 30, 2012 11:57 AM

Holy cow! 

But it's such a work of art!  You should be so very proud of yourself.  Once it's framed, maybe you can haved it displayed at your local library, or a gallery or something.  People should definitely SEE it.  It's just so amazing.  THAT'S art!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 4 (60 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS