July 2012 "Right on Track Bangle" bracelet - warning

This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 31
elainelynn wrote
on Jul 22, 2012 6:12 PM

There's a misprint in the materials list.  You need 120 Tilas, not 102, as it says.  (3 rows of 40)  This may not seem important, but if you order from FMG as I did, their Tilas come in 10g tubes "approx 110 beads per pkg", so if you order one tube per bracelet with the thought of "I'll have a few extras", you'll actually come up a few short.   I learned this the hard way when I came up a mere 4 beads short of finishing my bracelet yesterday :(

Anyway, hope that saves someone some trouble.  I think these are really pretty and plan on making a few... once I get more beads.  Will be calling some local places tomorrow...

Elaine

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 10:50 AM

Thanks for letting us know. Yes it is important to have the correct amount of materials needed to complete the project. I would have been more than 4 beads short. I don't have a small wrist. I usually make my bracelets at about 8 inches. I always allow for extra beads, but this difference would have made a huge difference in what I would have needed. Thanks for the heads up.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Magicalstar wrote
on Aug 1, 2012 4:10 AM

Hello ! I'm a french subscriber and I've decided to make the "Right on track bangle". But I've some difficulties. My question is : I don't understand how I can stitch around the base because the start is not the same in the bead for repeating the stitches... Could you explain to me ? Thanks !!!

P.S : I hope my english is understandable...^^

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 131
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 2:22 AM

Hi Julie:

I am going to try to explain what I think it is that is confusing you.  I will do it by going back and forth between the pattern’s words and Figure 1 and Figure 2.  AND then giving you detailed descriptions as to how to do the first repeats.

You need to look at Figure 1.  Consider that drawing is the base that has been stitched into a circle as described in the section labeled “Base”.  Imagine that there are a whole bunch of square-2-hole beads drawn in to the right of what you see. 

Now how do we go from that figure to Figure 2???

For Stitch 1

In Figure 2, the two LIGHTLY COLORED squares on the left represent part of the base.  The blue dot is on the same square-2-hole bead that has the red arrow coming out of it in Figure 1.  NOTE that the blue line that goes away from the blue dot is exiting the right-hand hole.  That is the same thread as the red arrow in Figure 1.

(a)  Pick up a NEW square-2-hole bead and go through its left-hand hole.  That new bead is the dark square-2-hole bead on the top of Figure 2.  (This new bead will be referred to as “the first D added in Stitch 1” later in the pattern.)

(b)  Next pick up 2 15/0 beads, 1 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead, and 2 15/0 beads.  That is on the blue line on the right-hand side of Figure 2.

(c)  Pick up another NEW square-hole bead and go through its left-hand hole.  To see that in Figure 2 continue to follow the blue line.  This New bead is the dark square-2-hole bead at the bottom of the left-hand side of Figure 2.  This new bead will be referred to as “the second D added in Stitch 1” later in the pattern.)

(d)  Now you go through the base bead again (the one that you started from).  You will even be going through the same right-hand hole of that bead. 

You have now completed Stitch 1.

For Stitch 2

(a)  Go up through the right hole of the first D added in Stitch 1  (refer back to Stitch 1 (a) above).  You can find that on Figure 2 as well. Note where the blue line changes to red and goes through the right-hand hole of the upper dark square-2-hole bead on the left side in Figure 2.  That is this step.

(b)  Continue to follow the red line in Figure 2.  Pick up 2 15/0 beads.  Go through one 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead.  Pick up 2 15/0 beads.  That is shown on the red line at the right-hand part of Figure 2.

(c)  Next you will pass through the right hole of the second D added in Stitch 1 (refer back to Stitch 1 (c) above).

You can see it on the left-hand side of Figure 2.  What seems confusing is that in the drawing it looks like you are going “UP” through that hole and the pattern says to go “DOWN” through that hole.  If you pulled the threads tight at the end of Stitch 1, the two DARK COLORED square-2-hole beads would have stood up as side walls to the base and the cube bead would take up a position as the ceiling.   Thus you will be going DOWN

through that hole

(d)  Next you enter the left hole of next base bead and then you turn and go through the right hole of that bead.

Just follow the red line of Figure 2. 

You have now completed Stitch 2.

For Stitch 3:

(a)  Pick up a NEW square-2-hole bead by going through its left-hand hole. It is NOT shown in Figure 2, but would be right about where the red arrowhead is -- BELOW the base row. 

(b)  Next pick up 2 15/0 beads, 1 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead, and 2 15/0 beads.

(c)  Pick up another NEW square-hole bead by going  through its left-hand hole. This bead is also NOT shown in Figure 2, but would be ABOVE the base row

(d)  Now you go through the base bead again (the one that you started from in this step).  You will even be going through the same right-hand hole of that bead.

(e)  Go up through the right hole of the first NEW D added in Stitch 3  This bead is BELOW the base. Refer back to Stitch 3 (a). 

(f)   Pick up 2 15/0 beads.  Go through one 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead.  Pick up 2 15/0 beads.

(g)  Next you will pass through the right hole of the second NEW D added in Stitch 3.  This bead is ABOVE the base. Refer back to Stitch 3 (c).

(h)  Next you enter the left hole of next base bead and then you turn and go through the right hole of that bead.

For Stitch 4: 

(a)  Pick up a NEW square-2-hole bead by going through its left-hand hole. This bead will be ABOVE the base.

(b)  Next pick up 2 15/0 beads, 1 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead, and 2 15/0 beads.

(c)  Pick up another NEW square-hole bead and go through its left-hand hole. This bead will be BELOW the base.

(d)  Now you go through the base bead again (the one that you started from in this step).  You will even be going through the same right-hand hole of that bead.

(e)  Go up through the right hole of the first NEW D added in Stitch 4.  This bead is ABOVE the base. Refer back to Stitch 4 (a). 

(f)   Pick up 2 15/0 beads.  Go through one 10/0 bead, 1 4mm cube, 1 10/0 bead.  Pick up 2 15/0 beads.

(g)  Next you will pass through the right hole of the second NEW D added in Stitch 4.  This bead is BELOW the base. Refer back to Stitch 4 (c).

(h)  Next you enter the left hole of next base bead and then you turn and go through the right hole of that bead.

FOR STITCHES 5 THROUGH 40:  Repeat Stitches 3 and 4 above.

WHEW!  That was harder to explain than I thought.  I hope it made some sense to you.  I truly hope it helps. 

ScottishSue

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Magicalstar wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 4:09 AM

Thank you so much for your help ! That's very nice (and it was complicated !) Big Smile

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 131
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 8:04 AM

Hi Julie:

I am glad you received my long description.  I was afraid that it was too long and would be eliminated. 

Yes, it did seem complicated.  It would be simpler with a few diagrams.  As they say, "A picture is worth a thousand words." 

Unfortunately, I have never posted a drawing before.  So I was stuck with the thousand words. 

The magazine really should have had a diagram for the first two repeats, since they were a little different from the original Stitch 1 and Stitch 2.  I am sure that many others have given up at exactly the same spot.

So now, do NOT give up on the pattern.  It would be nice just to know that you were able to finish the bangle. 

Keep on beading!

ScottishSue

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Magicalstar wrote
on Aug 2, 2012 10:10 AM

That's ok, I'll say it to you. I hope I will succeed ! Thanks for your explanations !

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Magicalstar wrote
on Aug 5, 2012 12:16 PM

So, I've finished connecting the stitches. I've just to embellish the base ; I'll do it tomorrow.  I can not wait !

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 131
ScottishSue wrote
on Aug 6, 2012 8:10 AM

Hi

I bet it looks wonderful.  I am excited right along with you. 

ScottishSue

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS