Problem: flaring of body of even count peyote bag size 11 seed beads

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Tina@69 wrote
on Jul 18, 2012 9:12 AM

Help! My 1st rows are even and fine. Am an experienced beader with persistent problem!:( I start on a toilet paper roll. As bag progresses I hold it in my hand. It seems to get wider and looser and the design slants to the left even tho I keep tension taut etc. No extra beads either. I bead with my right hand and go right to left, and hold the bag in my left hand. I just can't figure out what I am doing wrong! Any suggestions? Should I just leave the bag on the cardboard roll for the whole project?  Appreciate any suggestions!!! Thankyou. Tina

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
snybee wrote
on Jul 19, 2012 7:30 PM

Tina, I would continue to bead around the toilet paper roll until you've completed the project. I've done several amulet bags and always bead them around the center tube -- I have a feeling my problem would be the opposite of yours and would get narrower rather than flaring out if I didn't bead around the tube for the whole project. Even though you think you might be consistent with your tension, it doesn't take much for it to become a little looser, etc. Rather than using a toilet paper roll, I use the middle section of a plastic soda bottle. I cut down it lengthwise and then can adjust the size of the tube to fit the bead project (although toilet paper rolls would be convenient as there always seem to be a lot of those available - LOL!). These allow me to do larger or smaller projects without having to find something round that fits. If my roll isn't long enough, I just slide the bead project down but not completely off the roll.

Sandy

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Tina@69 wrote
on Jul 19, 2012 11:34 PM

Thanks so much Sandy for your suggestions! Really appreciate your input and am inspired to try another bag using your ideas!  Tina

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Turbosaurus wrote
on Aug 9, 2012 3:26 PM

Throw in a half hitch knot in each row.  It will help to keep the tension you work so hard to keep tight.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS