mini torches

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 67
jyceL wrote
on Jul 10, 2012 5:55 AM

Hi, 

I would love to learn how to seal jump rings with a torch. also to fuse a shank onto a piece of silver to make a ring.

What is a good mini torch. or a torch not intimidating?

thank you, Joyce

Not Ranked
Posts 11
on Sep 1, 2012 9:31 PM

I'm looking into the same thing. Rio Grande (Riogrande.com) has a nice selection of all sizes that I'm thinking about getting one of them. I don't know if that helps at all. I would read the customer reviews, that's what helps me make a decision on something like this. Plus, if you are not happy with it they seem to be willing to work with you. (I haven't had a problem with any orders from them so far so YMMV.) They also have some video's on youtube that may help you with your decision. There is one that specifically talks about torches. Hope that helps. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,482
D.M.Z wrote
on Sep 2, 2012 1:40 AM

Joyce, I don't do jump rings myself, but my friend does hers and uses a soldering iron. She said it is easy to do just holds the ring in a small vice (actually lines up several at a time) and hits them quickly with her soldering iron, a dab of flux and they are joined. I've used her rings with no problems of them failing. Just for your info, like I said I don't do them myself, if I use a ring I use split rings. Another of my pals used her creme brulee torch for her jewelry work. She just decided not to buy one more tool. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 9:59 PM

bought a torch at Home Depot and filled and fired it up today. Worked fine for Art Clay. I THINK it would work for soldering, but I am also on the prowl for a soldering iron, as that may be quicker for small things like jump rings. I'd be afraid of torching the other parts of my piece, so perhaps the soldering iron would be better for that. Hmmmm, now my brain is a-spinnin'!!!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on Sep 4, 2012 10:27 PM

Hi

I am not sure about this, but if you are working with silver jump rings, you will probably want silver solder and that requires higher heat -- like from a torch.

When working with base metal jump rings, you can use ordinary solder and a soldering iron.

Don't know what you use with gold-filled and such !?!

ScottishSue

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS