I want to be a part of it..

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 7:23 PM

NEW YORK! NEW YOOOORRRRK!

I have decided that at some stage next year, whether my boss likes it or not, I am going on a holiday to New York! Big Smile I'm so excited, I can't wait!!! It will be my first trip overseas I'm kinda freaking out a bit, but mostly excited!!

I know it's not going to be for another 12-ish months (depending on when my boss gives me the ok) but I need to start thinking about these things.. especially saving my money because, lets face it, Most of that money will most likely be going into bead stores Wink haha!

Anyone near New York who wants to meet for a coffee one day?

Emma
xXx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 8:13 PM

I've always wanted to visit New York too, and I only live several states away! It just looks like an amazing city, and I've always wanted to celebrate New Years in Times Square with the ball drop, lol. Plus, I hear that there are a lot of awesome bead stores there as well!

Good luck with your boss and I hope you get to make the trip - if so take lots of pictures!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 11:23 PM

I live almost 4 hours away from the City!  I'm closer to the beautiful Finger Lakes Wine Country. Now that's something worth seeing!  And I'm an hour and a half south of Syracuse, which has loads of bead shops, a beautiful cathedral, and Carousel, one of the nicest malls in the state!  I think they might even have a Lush there!  And, depending on what time of the year you come, That's where the NYS Fair is held.  I've been fortunate enough to go a few times.  It's a blast!

How ironic you're working on coming here; I'm scrimping so I can come back to England for a longer stay.  My best mate wants to take me to the Lakes District.  I'm all for that!

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,845
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 11:54 PM

Kristie,

I live in Upstate, and used to hang out in Manhatten all the timw with my sister when we were younger, 'cos she lived in CT at the time.  Trust me when I say you do NOT want to be in Times Square on New Years' Eve!  It's horribly cold and damp, and there are a lot of weirdos around.  It's really nothing like it is on tv; sorry to say.  When Rudy Giuliani was mayor, the City was a lot safer and more fun.  Still, you were better off being  there with someone who knew there way around, and could keep you out of the ghettos.  Michael Bloomberg is not even half the mayor Giuliani was, and  now the City isn't nearly as safe as it used to be.  I'm not trying to turn you, or anyone else off on going; just that you need to exercise a lot more caution, not to mention the stupid food bans Bloomberg has enacted in the City, such as, you can't have more than a 16 oz. glass of soda, all fried foods are being banned,and he's now looking to ban milkshakes!  It sounds ludicrous, but sadly, it's true.

Personally, I think you'd get more bang for your buck coming Upstate.  Everything in NYC is outrageously overpriced.  There's  lots and lots to see and do in the State itself, plus, we have Darien Lake!(really, really awesome amusement park!)  I still like Manhatten; it's just lost a lot of its allure for me.  Even if you want to go to the Empire State Building, you have to go through dozens of security checkpoints, and it takes so long to get up to the observatory that it's not really worth it any more.  All because some jerk terrorist shot up the 103rd Floor Observatory in the mid 90's.  You're not even allowed to go up to that one anymore, which pissed me off, 'cos I was told it had an unobstructed view, because it was enclosed.  Sigh...

Anyway, that's my two cent's worth, from someone who lives in NYS and has been to NYC a few times.  For all my complaining I still like the State better than the City.

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS