New Computer...

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 12:52 AM

I got a new lap top this weekend (SQUEE!) Yeah, I'm loving it and exploring all the changes that have been made since I got my last one a few years ago - seriously they've changed a lot!

My only issue so far is that it didn't come with a word document type program other than the really crappy WordPad. My last computer came with a basic (but free!) version of MS Office Word program that I love. MS Office is on here, free for 60 days and then you have to buy it to keep it. Only it's like $150!!

Does anyone know of a good word program that is cheaper? I've been looking at download sites, but I don't really trust them and I'd rather know if I'm downloading something that's good at least, and you know, not going to give me a virus!

Thanks, 
Kristie 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 1:17 AM

Kristie, there is a whole suite that sort of mimics Office............be darned if I can remember what the name of it is though. Hope someone knows what I mean and will give you the name. Personally, I have used WordPerfect since it came out, had all the right stuff for me and many of the places I worked before I retired forced me to use M'soft Office programs including word........what a waste of money, that's why I know about the free one. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 1:19 AM

K................OpenOffice...............Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 3:02 AM

Thank you!!! You're a life saver Donna, I'm downloading it now!

I used Word Perfect when it first came out (it came free with the first computer my family bought) and I loved it, but none of the computers at work or school used it - they all used MS Office so I had to get used to it.

I totally agree that MSO is a waste of money, you have to buy the complete package and really all I would use is word and maybe excel. Plus they make it far too expensive!
Well there's my little rant at Microsoft for the night, LOL.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,563
D.M.Z wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 12:44 PM

Kristie............ok for your rant, you should hear me go off on M'soft both products and prices!! I guess I sound like some sort of whacko, but WP really works for writers and that's what I started out doing, and still do occasionally. There is only one thing M'soft Word is good for and that is return address labels because they make it easy to do a sheet of one address............ since I don't have it anymore, I just copy and paste in WP........ Donna, who used to be a computer whiz, life has whizzed by and now I am retired or is that retarded and I just play with beads............LOL

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 5:35 PM

Yeah writing is all that I really want it for as well, and Open Office seems to be working well so far :)

LOL, I thought I did okay with computers but my 17yr old cousin is a super whiz and makes me feel so old and feeling like I'm left in the dark ages!! My old lap top was maybe 3-4 years old and my new one has changed so much already that I'm having to re-learn some things!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 1, 2012 8:15 PM

I have been given someone elses old computer, when they got a new one. So I am lucky, they always have a word processing and Accounting Packages.

I use the Word processing for my "Short Stories", Life journal for my daily life.

Every new computer(new to me) comes with "Challenges On the new programs". So I hear you. Good Luck

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 7:17 PM

Hey Kristie,

I got my new laptop last year and I bought the Microsoft Office Pack that had the word, excel, powerpoint and whatever the other one was and I was happy to pay the extra price for them (mind you, I was getting a 'buy one laptop, get one free' deal so in my head, I was still saving money.. lol)

Have you used that program that Donna gave you yet? I would be interested to see how it compares to Microsoft. Good luck!

Emma
xXx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 410
KristieJ3 wrote
on Jul 2, 2012 8:21 PM

That does sound like a good deal! I just don't want to pay the price because I really only use Word and very rarely Excel. I really wish they sold them separately!!

I used Open Office today actually, and it's a pretty good imitation of MS in my opinion! There are a few slight differences and I'm sure I'll run into more as I use it more, but so far it works great!!

My only issue with it is that I can't open any of my old files (that I had saved on a USB) with it. That is driving me kind of crazy, and I'm going to either ask my uncle if he has an extra copy of MS (he has his own company and is a computer genius) or if he knows an easy way to convert the files for me.

If I run into any major snags other than that one I'll update you Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,145
on Jul 6, 2012 7:03 PM

I started using OO.o around version 2.0 or so.  No problems, just the learning curve, and needing to forget MSO!

Stan B.

Lakeland, MN

USA

Ignorance is curable; Stupidity has neither cure nor excuse.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,145
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Jul 24, 2012 7:02 PM

I  am going thru a "Geek" learning cruve on my latest computer. I think the new versions of everything is to test anyone over the age of 10 for a learning Disability.Crying It like learning a new language.

Good Luck

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 1:30 AM

ROTFL! So, so true!  Every time I use this drat blasted laptop keyboard, I feel it was designed just to torment me.  ARGH!Super Angry

Val

Val

boutiquev.us

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS