viking knit rings - how do I hide the join?

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
suryadesigns wrote
on Jun 7, 2012 6:37 AM

Hello,

I'm quite knew to viking knit and would like to make some (finger) rings - both adjustable and solid, sized rings.

How can I neatly finish/hide the join (for sized rings) or neatly finish the ends (for adjustable  rings)?

Also, has anyone got any tips for making your own end caps for viking knit bracelets and necklaces?

Thanks in advance,

Helen :-)

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 544
shanks wrote
on Jun 7, 2012 4:50 PM

Here is a source that will answer some of your questions.        http://www.gailnettles.com/category/viking-knit/

I make an end cap that is tapered using a tool that is designed for setting finishing nails. They will come in a set of three which are different sizes.

Take a grinder  and make a small flat spot on each side of the tip, about 1/8 inch wide and quite thin. Using a small Vice Grip plier secure the wire you want to use to the tip of the tool.  Start winding up the taper until the length you want is achieved. It will take about a foot of wire. Snip the wire off where you used the plier and the big end. Makes a nice tapered end cap.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
suryadesigns wrote
on Jun 8, 2012 1:47 AM

Thanks, Shanks - that's really useful. I'd tried making end caps using a tapered dowel but the wire damages it - I thought there must be some kind of metal tool that would do the job but had no idea what it might be called - so thank you very much. The website was useful too, thanks  :-)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Sep 9, 2012 5:32 PM

Thanks for reminding me about this website. I find I can use some Bead Caps on the smaller Viking Knit. I don't use dowels.

I use a
Wyr Knittr.( this is where I orderd mine years ago. I love it. www.bond-america.com/products/wyrknittr.html

Ps. No I don't work for them, and this is not advertising. check it and for yourself. search the internet for the lowest price.

the tool is awesome!~

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS