"Make" your own silk and ribbon lengths?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 22, 2012 8:14 AM

Howdy,  I know you read this 1K times a week - I'm a premie.  My first craft was sewing.  I haven't tried using lengths of silk or ribbons well, frankly, because as an ex sewer I can't cough up $2 for a 2 ft length of silk an inch wide.  But I also can't say i ever sewed with silk, either.  Do you know if people buy yards of silk and cut or rip tear it?  Must it be stitched on the edges (either straight or with an overlocking stitch?).  What I find in the shops are widths that have simply rolled into a tube.  I wondered if any of you have gone home-made to save costs in this area?  I'm OK with paying for my first projects just to see how I do with the materials.  At the same time, I like to look ahead!  Thanks so much.  B2K

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,143
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on May 22, 2012 10:04 AM

Howdy, and kWarm Welcome to Beading Daily.  I may have missed it,?? What do you plan to use the Silk and Ribbon lengths for?? Kumi? Stringing?

I am not sure where you are in the World.(?) Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Wal Mart Stores have Ribbon at less than I can make it.  In Sewing at Least I know, Silk Fray's and is difficult to work with (for me personally). Keep checking back, its a busy time of year, someone will help you out.

Good luck,

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 22, 2012 10:20 AM

Hi and thanks for the reply.  I want to use the silk in stringing.  I find it in shops but the price per 2 foot length is $2 and up.  This is for my own hobby, I should have said.  I know silk is tough to cut but I was wondering if others do cut their own lengths to save a few bucks.  The way it naturally rolls, I was hoping I might not have to sew the edges.  I know I can buy all sorts of other ribbons off the roll so that's not a problem.  Hope this adds more info.  Thanks again.  

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS