Apr/May Issue supply question for Beaded Bead

This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 8, 2012 6:50 PM

I'm trying to find the supplies I need to make Maria Teresa Ferreira's beautiful Beaded Bead, but though I've searched the Internet far and wide, I haven't been able to find a source for the 5 x 11 oval beads, acrylic or otherwise.  Any leads?

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 126
ScottishSue wrote
on May 9, 2012 2:56 AM

I have no leads on the 5 x11 ovals.  Sorry!

BUT I have made a similar bead using faceted crystal drop beads that were shorter than 11mm (like 5 x 8) and then just adjusted the number of seed beads along side of them.  The fat end of the drop bead goes towards the center of the bead. 

ScottishSue

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on May 9, 2012 12:41 PM

I tried searching for something similar a few months ago and found very few suppliers for these oblong oval shaped beads...I think it's because they are plastic/acrylic...many bead stores just don't carry them., and I didn't even find any glass ones!

But try searching for Spaghetti beads or Spaghettini beads...I had better results that way. I found some when searching on Etsy and eBay too but I never did find a huge selection out there!

I finally concluded that this might be something that would be easier to find in a craft store like Michaels or Hobby Lobby.

But I do also like the idea of using teardrop crystals like Scottish Sue mentioned...you can find these as Czech faceted pressed glass and Swarovski style crystals. They come in several sizes and even have the hole running from top to bottom...one end is larger than the other, but that can easily be worked into many patterns!

Good luck...I really liked that beaded bead too!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on May 11, 2012 10:13 PM

I did find 2 listings for this size on eBay - one for labradorite, and one in inexpensive green grass.  I may have some this size in green, red or blue - will have 2 check size

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on May 11, 2012 10:24 PM

eBay also has several listings for 6x11 acrylic beads that look like the ones used in the magazine.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on May 19, 2012 3:19 PM

So, in failing to find the exact beads listed, I decided to give it a try with the nearest affordable thing I could easily find--13 x 6 Czech pressed teardrops, available in a range of colors at FusionBeads, among other places.  The pattern worked up beautifully (fat end towards the center of beaded bead, of course) with no need to change any bead counts.  (On an aesthetic note, I highly recommend using matte teardrops to contrast nicely with metallic bronze 11's and the fire-polished beads--I made mine with matte topaz teardtops, purple opal 6mm and closely-matching matte 8's, metallic bronze 11's and 4mm, and red luster 3mms--delicious!)

In an additional plea to the wonderful editors of Beadwork: could you please research supply lists very thoroughly before you publish patterns?  If the designer includes a bead or component that is particularly hard to find on the Internet, it would be great if you had a little box that said "If you can't locate any ....., you can make the pattern using ..... instead, with the following slight modifications in bead count:  in row ...., use.....etc."   Many designers' books have these sorts of extra instructions included, and I think it would make your patterns that much more accessible to a full range of beaders.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS