Best Elastic?

This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 6, 2012 10:11 PM

Hi,

Can anyone recommend the best elastic to use when making a stretch bracelet?  Some of them have too much elasticity and with others, I am doubtful about how durable they would be, (i.e. like the ones that are like a fabric coated rubber band).  Thanks!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on May 7, 2012 12:00 AM

I have used Stretch Magic, but the only thing is do NOT use this with crystals as the crystals can be sharp on the inside and make the Stretch break.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on May 7, 2012 10:03 AM

I have found that a "Lycra" product to work the best.  I double it, and a surgeon knot for the finish with a drop of glue. This knot can be pulled into a bead. I sure agree about the sharp edge of a crystal, but a couple of turns with a tapered reamer seems to solve this, breaking that sharp edge.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
on May 7, 2012 3:32 PM

I use stretch magic when I use elastic.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
on May 7, 2012 3:32 PM

I use stretch magic when I use elastic.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 8, 2012 9:39 AM

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I'll try stretch magic.  I thought I had used that one before, but it was something that looked similar.

I just hate the thought of selling something that would break after awhile... I did read that you should not use any glue with stretch magic because

it can eat through the elastic.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
on May 8, 2012 3:52 PM

Really? I haven't experienced that. I always glue my knots...

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 8, 2012 4:15 PM

Yes, I read it here:

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/tips/tipsteps.aspx?tipid=12&dep=85

I was surprised too!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on May 8, 2012 8:52 PM

The glue thing is why I do not use stretch magic. It is almost impossible the get the suggested knot inside a bead as well.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 8, 2012 10:30 PM

Do you know the name of the lycra product that you use?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on May 9, 2012 1:08 PM

I'm with shanks on this one...I really prefer the Lycra type stretchy thread over the stretch magic types of elastic cord.

Personally, I find the Lycra type threads to have more stretch to them and to be stronger/longer lasting than the Stretch Magic type of cord. And the Lycra is so much easier to knot securely and the knots are much smaller and easier to hide inside your beads. 

Lycra is very thin and has a flat profile where the Stretch Magic is round...it's also kind of a translucent milky color...it's not exactly transparent and it's not really opaque either, but it does blend well.

One brand name for it is Gossamer Floss. I know that Fusion Beads carries Gossamer Floss in large spools for about $7...this is what I generally use when making stretchy bracelets etc with my niece! I think Shipwreck Beads also carries this one...?

Artbeads carries another brand of it called Elonga. The Elonga comes on small cards with 5 meters of thread and it's very inexpensive which is nice if you wanted to just try it out. The only thing kind of strange or different about this brand is that it is several strands fused together so it takes a little getting used to, but it gives you more protection against a broken strand because the separate strands will fray before the entire piece breaks.

I have also seen a generic brand of it in my LBS...it has no name on it other than Lycra...they have a huge spool of it and sell it by the yard.

The main thing to remember when using stretchy thread of any kind, is that you want the bracelet to be in it's natural relaxed state and not stretched at all when it is worn...you only want it to stretch when putting it on over the hand. This will dramatically extend the life of any stretchy cord!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 586
shanks wrote
on May 9, 2012 9:53 PM

I could not remember "Gossamer Floss"  thanks .

I purchase my floss in 5000 meter rolls from Czech, so no name. When making a bracelets I use 18 inches and double it using a big eye needle. I have a ruler marked on my table, so it makes it easy to size the bracelet, and then cut the floss off the needle,  tie a surgeon knot with some tension. You are dealing with four ends so it can be tricky. Put a drop of Hypo on the knot and pull the knot inside a bead. After I figure the glue had dried I pull the bracelet out about as far as it will go 3 or 4 times. If it does not break it is good to go.

It is very rare that they will break.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 10, 2012 8:03 AM

Thank you Tia and Shanks!!!

I am off to search and order! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
annette494 wrote
on May 19, 2012 7:40 AM

it is possible to glue the knot on stretch elastic but only with soft plastic glue that won't break.. good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on May 19, 2012 7:51 AM

Thanks Annette,

That makes sense, the article probably referred to crazy glue which shouldn't be used..

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS