best gold & silver seed beads

This post has 17 Replies | 5 Followers rated by 1 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 5:52 PM

I know that Miyuki & Toho both have a line of permanently finished gold & silver beads, and gold plated beads.  I'm pretty sure there are Czech beads also. I don't want sterling plated due to tarnish.

Eventually I'd like to have these in several sizes, both rounds and cylinders.  With the price of these, that will take me awhile!  Before I start buying any, I'd love some feedback on the appearance and durability of different brands.  Just looking online, it appears that the Miyuki silver looks a bit more realistic than the Toho.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,288
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 7:28 PM

Kipper cat, I tend to steer clear of the metallic beads, because I haven't found one yet that is worth it's money. For the gold, I use Miyuki 442 which is if I have the number correct, is a gold glass bead with a silver lining. I find this bead really durable and not out of the budget. I then will go with the clear bead with the silver lining instead of any painted or plated bead. Call me paranoid if you would like,  but I call myself just cautious after being burnt in the past. 

This is just my personal opinion, and you will find others that will disagree with me, and that is okay. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 9:49 PM

I remember your mention of the gold plated delicas that failed with daily wear of a bracelet.  That's something I want to avoid!   I have used the S/L gold glass, and agree they look very nice.  Though come to think of it, I've seen those silver linings tarnish as well.  Sounds like a real Hobson's choice. Huh? I'd like to be able to add accents or edgings with the gold beads.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Apr 2, 2012 10:17 PM

I am not too sure about the gold plated beads, but I am always using the delica silver lined beads as well (#41 and #42 - I think)

I have however, on the rare occasion, been beading my project using those 2 colours and if I am not careful, then I can actually scrape the silver lining out of it with my needle/thread if I do too many passes. Has anyone else had this problem?

Emma
xXx

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Apr 3, 2012 10:37 PM

AAAHhhhhh, so Emma, THAT is what those pesky little flakes are!! I was thinking I was getting "glittered" somehow! I use a lot of TSL and that must be what it is! 

I have the Duracoat in silver, gold, and copper, and have had no problem with them rubbing off yet.

Not Ranked
Posts 17
BetsyF@6 wrote
on Apr 4, 2012 12:45 AM

Hi, all - Miyuki makes both a 'permanent' finish gold and silver, and a 'duracoat' gold and silver, in both Delicas and 11's - maybe even more sizes, I'm not sure.  The 'permanent' finish wear pretty well, IMHO, and I haven't had any wear off, tho I haven't worn any of my jewelry with those beads for long enough to really test them.  The 'duracoat' ones (the most expensive, natch, except those plated with real gold and real silver) wear like iron.  I've got a necklace that I wear all the time - and next to my skin - and after 18 months or so, there's no sign of the finish wearing off.

The ones that definitely don't wear well are the galvanized finish - the silver is #35, I don't remember what the gold one's number, but your bead shop will know.  Or you can ask your on-line supplier.

I know Toho makes 'permanent' finish too, but I haven't used them.  They're supposed to be equivalent to, possibly superior to, Miyuki's 'duracoat'.

One potential problem with the Miyuki 'duracoat' in the silver color is that it has a yellowish cast, which you mostly don't notice if used next to another color, but if put with another metallic bead, it may or may not look like bright shiny (white-ish) silver.  Of course, this isn't a problem with the 'duracoat' gold.  If you need the 'white-ish' type of bright silver, the 'permanent' finish is probably a better choice.

I'd be interested in whether any others agree with me or not.     *-)  Betsy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,493
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 4, 2012 1:10 AM

I may have missed it, but Delica has #551 which is a non-tarnishing silver. I only remember that I read about it and decided I needed to try it out. The silver is like liquid silver, a pure color and I've seen no tarnish on items yet. OK, just found my notes on it, #551 is a "non-tarnishing silver plate" bead. One of the bracelets that I made that has received a huge amount of wear used semi-matte galvanized gold delica and it is holding up in the color and finish, even though it has had to have jump rings and the ball and socket clasp (both from wear!) replaced.

I do believe that a lot of damage and loss of finish is like that of costume jewelry, some people have very "toxic" skin and can take the finish off of anything. When I was younger all my jewelry had to be at least 14K gold as anything else tarnished or turned me strange colors and sometimes just made me itch. Now that I am older, I can wear anymetal with no problem. Also with costume jewelry, and with out plated beads, it is important not to get hair spray, lotions, or perfume on them directly. Put your jools and beads on last and they may last a bit longer. Donna

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 81
on Apr 6, 2012 6:27 PM

The Czech lined seed beads seem to work best, they can't tarnish but the color is realistic and the beads all the same size.

http://treehousekidzjewelry.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 7, 2012 5:48 PM

I recently bought a tube of Toho's Permanent Finish galvanized aluminum. At first glance the color does not look as much like real silver as I had hoped.  I need to work it up a bit to see if I like the color OK.  That is what prompted my question here.

- Betsy - oddly enough the tube of silver looks too white to me.  Guess I need to find some shiny silver to compare it too.  A lot of mine has a bit of tarnish.  Sometimes a lot of tarnish. ;-(

I'm looking for silver right now for a garnet bracelet I want to make for my sister.  In this case the seed beads will be the expensive part!  A strand of 3mm garnet beads runs from $2 to $6.

- donna - My husband has skin like that.  He has to have titanium frames on his glasses, or they pit and wear out in less than a year.

I really like the idea of non-tarnishing silver.  I unknowingly bought some silver-plate beads that are non-tarnish.  A real blessing since I like to keep that necklace hanging up above my dressing table.

- untmom & Emma - I've noticed those scratches also.  I was wondering why I haven't seen them in a long time. The tiny scratches may be there, but I've been using silver-lined frosted beads.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 147
whatsup1 wrote
on Apr 8, 2012 7:50 AM

I have used all of the above Toho and Miyuki beads. I've haven't had any problem with the Toho gold plated or sterling plated, or the Toho permanent finish gold and silver, wearing. They hold up well.

I have used the Miyuki gold plated, white gold plated, and duracoat gold and duracoat silver, and I haven't had any problem with them wearing as well.

The Miyuki white gold plated is duller than the silver beads. I think the color of the Toho and Miyuki dura coat/permanent finish is indistinguishable. They all look the same to me, but I haven't used them side by side in any piece.

I don't know what the color is called but my favorite gold Miyuki size 15 is #003, it is such a beautiful gold. I have no clue what the finish is. I've used a lot of Delica #42 with no problem, although I do end up with little "glitters" on my fingers but the piece I stitched looks good. It doesn't look like the color has worn off.

Peg

Not Ranked
Posts 4
claudia@89 wrote
on Apr 21, 2012 10:26 AM

I want to order Miyuki duracoat silver galvanized bead in o6 to use in kumihimo necklace.  I know that "regular" o6 beads tend to have 12-15 beads per gram.

Do the galvanized weigh more?  For example are there less duracoat galvanized beads in a 9 gram vial of duracoat galvanized than in the non-galvanized seed bead?

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,493
D.M.Z wrote
on Apr 21, 2012 12:08 PM

Claudia.............what a provocative question. First off, my opinion would be no appreciable difference as it is only a coating............... However, I am open to being wrong about things, so if I were questioning how much to order I'd do two things. 1) always order more than you think you need because you can always make earrings out of the "leftovers".......

But 2), my curiosity would get me to a local bead store that carries these and have them weigh out a couple of grams of duracoat and same of "other" in the 6o bead. Then just count them. I'd weigh more than one gram to just be more sure of the scale, for instance my scale is wonderful, but only will jump to the next full gram marker............so for a large bead the count could be off on something as small as one gram. Failing a local bead store that is friendly and cooperative and like that, I'd get in touch with the supplier you are going to buy from and ask them. Most online bead shops have a "contact me" function. If you are buying from some big outfit that hires cluesless people, I'd expect you to get no valid answer which is why I tend to want to be a bit more hands on with a question like this. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,828
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 21, 2012 12:15 PM

Hi Claudia. 

Yes,  they do weigh more.  I usually order seed beads from Bello Modo. They have very good customer service and should be able to give you a good estimate of the numbers.  They also have good prices, the whole reason I started ordering from them in the first place!

(shameless pitch here - if you do place a first order there, they give a store credit to whoever referred you. Please give them my name or the name of another friend who has mentioned them in the past - don't let free beads go to waste)  Wink

Not Ranked
Posts 9
murralis wrote
on Feb 24, 2013 6:38 PM

You are right about the Miyuki 'duracoat' in the silver color  has a yellowish cast. I just ordered and received some and when I opened the package  I wondered, when did I order gold beads. I do not think I could pass them off as silver, I put then next to blue crystals they still look gold. I ordered the Toho 'permanent' finish also they all look the same Confused  Is there a  bright shiny (white-ish) silver?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Deepikaverma wrote
on Mar 14, 2013 4:28 AM

I love beads very much.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS