Does anyone else here bead to cope with health problems?

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 17
xoliana wrote
on Mar 20, 2012 5:12 PM

I've gone on and off with health problems since I was nine (I'm now almost twenty-three), but this last year of my life has been the toughest.  I'm curious to know how many others have taken up beading as a way to try and cope with any health-related issues.

Liana

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,977
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 11:15 AM

You're not alone.Smile

Beading is a way to help keep my mind and hands moving. And it allows a creative out let as well.

I do have days where I can't bead due to illness and there are some types and techniques in jewelry making I can't do.Sad But when I can bead I loose all track of time Timeand forget that there are things I can't do. It helps me to feel productive in some way. kwim?

I hope today is a good day for you and you can enjoy your beads.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 1:41 PM

I have been very lucky (and blessed) to not have had many physical health issues - getting a bit creaky as I get older seems to be it for now.  But I do find that my beading is a way to cope when I feel the pressures of life getting me down.   I have a tendancy to get depressed and down on myself when things are not going well.  Being able to turn to my beading and and lose myself in creating something helps me to feel better about myself and to forget all the stresses in my life.  When I am unhappy it is something that makes me happy.  I often refer to my beading as my therapy.

Ricki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,876
Valbeads wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 7:34 PM

I absolutely do!  I have been disabled for going on seven years now, and I am recovering from a broken thumb, on my working hand, no less.  Beading and designing jewelry is so very soothing for me. I can do it at my owm pace, and it gives me a great deal of joy.  Not to mention, i can make some money at it from time to time.  The best part is, it makes me feel useful again.

Val

boutiquev.us

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 144
quekpeggy wrote
on Mar 22, 2012 10:20 PM

Oh yes, beading is always the therapy for me whenever I am depressed or stressed - the common mental health issues in modern days. The end results will also boast up my self esteem - being able to accomplish something. 

Peggy

http://pq-beaddreamer.blogspot.com

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,834
KipperCat wrote
on Apr 11, 2012 9:42 PM

Oh, yes. Had I remained healthy & able to pursue other activities, I may never have found it.  Though I enjoy it so much, I'd like to think so!  I've been disabled for 25 years now, since I was 30.  The wonderful thing about beading is that it waits for me if my health requires me to put it aside for awhile.  Beads don't spoil, or become full of weeds, or even feel neglected!  

My health doesn't allow me to bead several hours a day, but I'm so fortunate that I haven't had wrist pain for several years.

It's a wonderful creative outlet that even a sedentary person can pursue, and and I think that a lot people try it for that reason.  I remember that several people on another bead forum mentioned health issues they battled.

Most of the ways I cope with my health problems require that I don't do something, whether it's physical or emotional. (Dwelling on what I'm missing or feeling guilty for what I can't do are two emotional activities I've given up, thank goodness!)  Beading is something I can DO to bring joy to my life.  That joy and feeling of well-being definitely carry over to other times.

Liz

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS