Share Your Beading Space

This post has 86 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 8:56 AM

I'm so there-I love Spanish food (as in different than Mexican food).  Sorry to say I'll have to pass on the beans though.  Other than green beans, baked beans and hummus I'm not much of a fan, though I'm sure yours are good. :)

Just think:  if we're lucky maybe we'll actually be rid of ole Fidel pretty soon.  Hope his brother isn't as bad as he is!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 9:07 AM

Jeni, you're funny, I luv hummus too, but would rather have the chick peas like a soup which is how the American's call it.  From your mouth to Gods ears.  I don't think Raul will do anything other than run away because the people would probably run him out.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 9:22 AM

LinaG:
10K...of my goodness...that's a brand new car...but you're right over the years, that' a little less than 1k per year...lol.  I just have a small stash...my partner has an entire bedroom but she has been beading for 30+ years.  I just barely started a couple of years ago, but I try to be good and only buy what I need and when they  have the shows here in S. Fla., one of the wholesale stores I shop at in Miami, end up selling their strands for about 1.00 each so that they can get rid of their inventory for new stuff so sometimes I can get a good stash.

*laugh*  Trust me know...a new car...heehe.  Figures I would opt for beads as opposed to a new car.  lol...beads can take you anywhere...er...  Its kinda funny, I saw a pic of a ladys stash in some mag back when I first started beading and I decided right then and there that I wanted to have a big stash so I could just pull things out and compare and make whatever I wanted...well...now...I have it!  lol...goal reached.  Touchdown!  Now what?  lol.  Actually it has served me well since as of the last couple years I have been living paycheck to paycheck with no extra for my beloved beads - so I just use my stash - good that I have one!!!

LinaG:
Dawn, whenever you are in S. Fla. let me know and I will whip up some.  I am Cuban born in Cuba, raised in Chicago, my hometown and for the last 10 years have lived in Florida.  I guarantee, I can make some kick butt beans...my father, God rest his soul was a Chef in Cuba back before that miserable Fidel when they had ingredients and everyone cooked like h Spaniards so I picked it up from him...heck, Ladies, you are all invited.

OMG!!!  I LOVE CUBAN FOOD!!!!!!  CAN I COME CAN I COME?!?!?!  Ahh...the plantains, the rice and beans....mmmmm!!!!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 11:50 AM

Lina,

Dinner sounds wonderful! mmmmmmm.

cb

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 12:26 PM

Of course you can come Kelly...you are in Tennessee...you're not that far from S. Fla.

Dawn, I am hoping that little by little I can build up some more.  A little over a year ago I was in the process of opening a bead store had it all arrangedand then the market crashed and I figured, I needed the money more at home than in a store that I was not sure would make money so I didn't o it...I would love to though.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 4:12 PM

"one of the wholesale stores I shop at in Miami, end up selling their strands for about 1.00 each so that they can get rid of their inventory for new stuff so sometimes I can get a good stash." - Lina

Wish we have a store like that here... LOL The last craftstore we had in town was Ben Franklin and they decided to close last year. I have to travel quite far just to go at Hobby Lobby or Joann's.

If I'll find a bead store with $1/strand, I'll definitely buy a lot (if not all)... DH calls me the bargain grabber!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 4:30 PM

The place I go to is Lanshang in Miami and they do have a website www.lanshang.com.  They always have sales online as well and you can register and become a member so that you can see prices.  I also have a tax mumber so I get the wholesaler price so if any of you see something you like, I go like once a month to see what they have to get rid of.  They are ENORMOUS!!!!  The only thing they don't sell is fireline but they sell everything else.  For example their ribbon necklaces which usually sell for about 1.50-3.00, I can get for a buck.  I will probably go within the next week or two because I have to get some chain for my necklace for my mark.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
Aiyleta wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 12:19 AM

Warning: Lots of pictures. :D

I rearrange my beading space a lot, mostly because of my cats.  They'll decide that something is in their way, and move it.. so then I have to find a new, safer place for it. heheh. It makes me keep it clean (most of the time)! This was my space in July, before we got our shoves-with-her-butt cat, Abby:

And this is the same spot, yesterday.  She didn't like the placement of my books, and would try to push them out of the way (off the table!).  I had to change the material covering my 'table,' because I got up, and left a glass of milk sitting on it (I do have a brain, honest! ... Even though I do things like this. haha).

This is the other side, with my lamp.  The curtain used to be hanging up, but Abby didn't like that either... hehe.  (Can you tell she's a bit of a spoiled brat? :p)

This is my view out of the window, at this time of year.  It's lovely in the summer, because everything is so very green~.  The sun also sets in my window, so sometimes I can't work during the late afternoon/evening.. too bright. :p  It's lovely to watch, though.

This is what I see at my feet.  One's full of metal stuffs, one's full of seed beads, and the other's full of "everything else."  It's not the best system, but it works for now.  I wish I had it as organized as I'd like, but I just don't have the space.  I also have a pile of storage containers off to the left, but I forgot to get a shot of those.

My mom got me this wonderful piece of furniture (I think it was for storing sheet music) for storage, but it needs some love.  The doors are really hard to open, and the drawers stick a bit.  Just needs some lubricant, and some cleaning, though. :p  The drawers are amazing... They have little spaces for labels, and there's enough room for heaping! hehe.  I'll be going to get the stuff I need to fix it up the next time I have a bit of extra cash.  Someone mentioned stripping it and refinishing it, but look at the doors! There's some kind of scene on it.. I wouldn't want that to go away.  You have to look carefully to see it in person, but it's very neat. The top of it has a slender, curvy mirror, which you can't  see because of my stuff. :x

As for my 'mobile storage/studio'.. I use these plastic containers by Plano.  Joann's was having a big sale on storage a while back, so I got them for less than 50% of the original price (yippee!).  They're very handy.  I have one for my finished stuff, and tools, and one for the materials I want to do something with soon, extra thread, etc..

My little notebook fits into the lid perfectly, which is awesome.

This is what my table looks like when I'm working on something.  Or at least, something from a pattern.  If I'm just playing with beads to make something new, in NO WAY does it look this neat. XD  I don't usually take pictures when it's chaotic, though. heheh.

And this is the view I usually have behind me:

Either this little spoiled creature, or our black cat.  They like to watch me bead. :D  They also like to sit in front of my window a lot. Or, if I'm working on something, directly on top of my beads. XD  They both do it, but Rainey (the black one) doesn't really sit still there (flailing paws and sniffing noses, y'know), so I don't get a lot of clear pictures of her. :p

Anywho, I think I'm probably over-picturing this thread, so I'll stop now! haha.

Upon looking through the pictures I took, I realize that I never took an 'overall' picture with this bunch. So, lots of detail shots, but no good overall picture. :p  Ah well.  I really am more of a detail person anyway... ;D

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 9:13 AM

Nicole how wonderful you get to bead right in front of a window. I would love that. I have that exact same lamp that you do too and I love it. I actually have it sitting on my desk now but I actually prefer it to my OttLite. The lighting from it is great. My hubby got mine for me a couple years ago and now I wish I knew where he got it because I would buy another for my beading table. Do you remember where you got yours?

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 552
Beadiecat wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 12:24 PM

I just LOVE that cabinet!  And the Plano container is prett cool too.

Cat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 133
Aiyleta wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 1:26 PM

Cat_P:
I have that exact same lamp that you do too and I love it. I actually have it sitting on my desk now but I actually prefer it to my OttLite. The lighting from it is great. My hubby got mine for me a couple years ago and now I wish I knew where he got it because I would buy another for my beading table. Do you remember where you got yours?
I think it was at Wal-Mart.  I prefer it to the OttLite I have, as well.  The colour of the light from the OttLite really bothers me while I'm beading, for some reason.

I love being right in front of the window.  The light is wonderful throughout most of the day, and I get to catch a lot of sunsets and whatnot, whereas I would usually miss them, if I was off beading somewhere else.  It's great for choosing colours. :D  I wish I was awake in the early morning more often, because the light is pretty much perfect then.  The colour of my walls, combined with the great light, makes it a very cheery space. ^-^  I always feel happy when I sit down to bead.  And when I get frustrated with something, I just sit back and take a look around. heheh.  I think part of my enjoyment with the space is that it's the first space that is completely my own, that I've been able to 'carve' out for myself.

My 'table' is actually the legs from an old fold-out table, and a couple of boxes piled on the dormer window window-seat thing, and then a piece of drywall set on top of those.  I put a garbage bag over the drywall to protect it, and then put fabric over that.  It's kind of strange, but it works! :D  The good thing about it is that it sits at about chest height when I'm sitting in my chair, so I don't have to 'hunch' over to bead.  This is lovely, because I'm pretty tall (5'10"~ish) and when I sit at a normal table, I'm way too far above it to be comfortable.  I tend to hold onto my beading as I'm working on it when I'm at a class or whatever, whereas when I'm at home, I can leave it sitting on my table for wiggly bits.

I get this sort of "Ahhhhh..." (relaxed, happy, accomplished) feeling, whenever I think about being at my beading table. It's very much my 'happy place,' methinks.  A little bit more in the organization department would make it perfect. ^-~  I would like to reclaim that leg room.. lol.  I often sit cross-legged for comfort, and I feel like I age 30 years when I try to stand up, after beading for a "while." XD  I do need to remember to take breaks more often!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,624
Cat_P wrote
on Feb 3, 2010 1:57 PM

Oh thanks Nicole!!! I might take a trip to Walmart tonight to check it out and see if they still have them. My hubby bought mine 2 or 3 years ago so I'm not sure if they would have them still but it's worth a shot. I love the way the head and arm swivel on it too so you get maximum movement with it. 

I suppose when all my kids are grown and fly the nest, I'll be able to have a window seat for my beading. For now it's stuck in our office and my back is to the windows. Unless I hit the lottery and can expand my house.....

Cat     Blog  Artfire  Etsy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 583
Karenra wrote
on Jun 19, 2010 8:58 PM

Here is my beading space :) tho i would love to say not always this messy but it is

Here is what i use for an earring display at home, was $1 at walmart, and easy to hang Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jun 20, 2010 12:25 AM

Good idea for your earring display, and I like your light box too. :)

I have to say your area is less messy than mine!

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 817
JanineB@7 wrote
on Jun 21, 2010 2:58 PM

I wouldn't dare post a pic of my work space...It is total chaos..but I do know where everything is...does that count???

My studio at our business is relatively organized....where I do my metal work....but at home different story.

Regards,

Janine

It was nice to see such organization and perhaps it will be an inspiration.....

Regards,

Janine

Page 5 of 6 (87 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS