Share Your Beading Space

This post has 86 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 23
MissEden wrote
on Jul 27, 2009 3:10 PM

I would like to thank everyone for posting pics of their work spaces!  I aspire to one day have an 'official' space of my own for my beading, and seeing all of yours gives me inspiration and ideas for that future!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Jan 28, 2010 1:44 AM

I think I used to have pics of my work space here but they disappeared with my old profile.  Since someone else was asking about what our spaces looked like, I'll re-post.

Here is my dining room table where 9/10 of my beading actually happens:

Here is my half of our extra bedroom where the majority of my beads reside:

I think you can tell from the pics where most of the creativity is.Stick out tongue  Believe it or not, that giant pile of plastic bags on the table is more or less organized.  As long as I know where everything is that's all that matters.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 192
Mimz2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 9:09 AM

Phew, Jeni. I am so glad you resurrected this thread. I was feeling kinda down thinking everyone out there has huge houses with basements and they have designated area where they do their crafts (over here we live mostly in apartments). Now I find I am in good company! The diningroom table, lots of boxes and lots of drawers. Thanks!

Mimz

www.mimzdesign.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 2:48 PM

I do have a bead room, laundry room, dogs, bedroom Big Smile, but I keep all my beads neatly organized in there.  It's a little messy as you can see from my picture but that is because I was looking for particular pattern for a class I am teaching so I had my books scattered but I don't bead in there.  As you can see from my second picture, I bead in my kitchen area because my bar island is high and I get great lighting from the windows which you cannot see because it's to the right but it's the most comfortable place to bead.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 3:04 PM

Oh wow, Lina, you have a GORGEOUS kitchen!!!!  Boy am I jealous!  I love to cook and have a wee little space -- thats why I noticed.  =)

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

http://beadinblacknblue.blogspot.com/

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 3:21 PM

Oh, thanks Lyliha...that's so funny that you noticed that.  Yeah...me too, I love cooking.  As ou can see from the corner to the right...I am making black beans and right now have a rotisserie on top of the black counter with a pork roas in it while I work online and on a bracelet.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 3:36 PM

Okay so I have a VERY unusual workspace...

This is a little MDF bench that my dad and I built.  I actually prefer to sit on the floor to work on my beading stuff so this is just the right height.  I typically use it more for wire/metalsmithing work since I actually take all my beading with me where ever I go.

See how I have the underside PACKED?  That is some of my storage of beads and mags.  I honestly have ALOT more mags and books but they are all stored in my bookcase.  This actually has two full tackle boxes and a LARGE hanging folder storage thingy with about 1/2 of my beading mags in it.  I have a whole lot more beads but they are all in drawers downstairs.  I actually tend to forget about them...lol!

And there it is.  My real "studio".  *laugh*   I take this bag EVERYWHERE.  Since i have a job that I am on the phone all the time I can bring my backpack to work and there i am - ready to bead anything your heart desires.  It is extremely heavy most of the time and I suppose I get some funny looks carrying it around all the time.  But whenever I get the itch to bead - I can do it in a moments notice.  I kinda love that.  But I guess I do spread spilt beads all over the place.  People talk about how they know which desks I have sat in over the years because you can usually find an escapee bead underneath it.  lol

See how packed full it is?  Its busting at the seams!!!!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 3:45 PM

Oh my goodness...you are truly a beader...Big Smile.  You should open up a store..LOL!!!!  I couldn't imagine having that much cus if I did, my husband would divorce me.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 825
LYILHA wrote
on Jan 31, 2010 4:05 PM

Lina, *laugh*  Honestly, I was calculating the other day about how much i have in unused supplies...and I am thinking somewhere around $10,000 worth...that is RIDICULOUS!  On the other hand, I know some of the others on this site has me beat in SPADES.  Though, I guess if you look at it like I have been beading for about 14 years now then amassing that much doesn't seem so far fetched.  I mean that is only about...lol...$2 a day..........>!>?!?!?!

Northeast, Tennessee

~Kelly~

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 7:04 AM

Lina,

Your kitchen is wonderful!!! Would love to have space like that. Great colors, very open. mmmmm.

cb

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,711
cbreul wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 7:04 AM

LYILHA:
I mean that is only about...lol...$2 a day..........>!>?!?!?!

See, I can justify it! Big Smile

cb

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,471
ForumModerator
JSmaz wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 7:36 AM

Love your backpack Kelly!  I didn't take a pic of the 40lb fishing tackle bag that has all my "use all the time" supplies in it (findings, crystals, stone, wire, misc).  I tend to keep it packed up in case I have a class (ha ha), and because it's (relatively) easy to haul up & down stairs whenever I need it.  Of course, it's pretty much taken up permanent residence on one of my dining chairs but we won't talk about that. ;)

I dig your kitchen too Lina!  We had a tiny kitchen in Oklahoma, a HUGE kitchen in Belgium, and now we're back to a tiny one again here.  It's ok for one person, but God forbid DH & I should want to be doing things at the same time or we'll just be tripping over each other.

Jeni

Oklahoma City

ArtFire Studio & blog  |  Gallery 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 8:26 AM

Glad this topic is on... and thanks for sharing your workspaces.

Since I started collecting stash (as in craft supplies, mostly for stitching and beading) 5 years ago, our small house became smaller. LOL At some point, DH was afraid to step on our living room (couch, side table, and coffee table spaces) where I do my crafting because of dropped needles. So 2 years ago, we decided that I'll use half of the attic to haul all my stash there... and as my crafting space. DH did most of the cleaning one springtime... can you tell he's really eager to put my stash away? LOL. Unfortunately, our attic is not heated so I managed to work there during summer only. Guess what? Most of my beading stash are now back downstairs, as well as stitching supplies & books... scattered mostly in the living room. sighhh

So come springtime, I'm planning to re-organize my stash again and incorporate them in our small office room. I'll just use a poker table as workspace with the hope that I can fold it up when I'm done working for the day... now that's a big task for me too. LOL

To cut the story short, I won't share any photos yet as I think I got the most messy space (if only there's a contest for that, I'll definitely win... LOL). I don't wanna give anybody a heart attack... when you see how I work at the moment, you'll wonder how I manage to finish anything. I don't know if it's just me (I hope somebody is out there lie me too), even if my workspace is sooooooo messy, I can find what I'm looking for instantly!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DawnH@33 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 8:37 AM

Can I come over for dinner - black beans and rice or my favorites!!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,477
ForumModerator
LinaG2 wrote
on Feb 1, 2010 8:48 AM

10K...of my goodness...that's a brand new car...but you're right over the years, that' a little less than 1k per year...lol.  I just have a small stash...my partner has an entire bedroom but she has been beading for 30+ years.  I just barely started a couple of years ago, but I try to be good and only buy what I need and when they  have the shows here in S. Fla., one of the wholesale stores I shop at in Miami, end up selling their strands for about 1.00 each so that they can get rid of their inventory for new stuff so sometimes I can get a good stash.

Dawn, whenever you are in S. Fla. let me know and I will whip up some.  I am Cuban born in Cuba, raised in Chicago, my hometown and for the last 10 years have lived in Florida.  I guarantee, I can make some kick butt beans...my father, God rest his soul was a Chef in Cuba back before that miserable Fidel when they had ingredients and everyone cooked like h Spaniards so I picked it up from him...heck, Ladies, you are all invited.

Page 4 of 6 (87 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next > | RSS