30 Day Challenge For Craft Month - March 2012

This post has 51 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 8, 2012 12:13 PM

We talked about looking ahead.

Well I sort of combined day 5's incoporate chain into a jewelry design with day 7's use a different metal. I don't use chain much so I used what I had on hand and as it happened it was in a metal I'd never used. So, I combined the 2 days.

Todays day 8- Have a Date with a Bead Friend...due to health issues I'll have to find something to substitute. But looking ahead to days 9 & 10 maybe I'll just combine all 3. I have and idea for a denim collar that is in my mother's sewing stash that I may snitch and do some bead embroidery on.

Oh, and I haven't forgotten about the pictures. But I think I'm gonna have to mug someone to get the Viking Knit bracelet picture taken. They've been wearing 24/7 since they snitched it. *L*

Hope you have fun with your beads today. Wink

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 11, 2012 6:50 PM

SEllen, way to tailor the challenge to your needs!  I can't wait to see that denim collar!  You have me extremely curious as to what exactly that is.  I love the whole mugging scenario... that makes me laugh. What a wonderful problem to have... to have somebody steal your work and never ever take it off!  It must make you so happy to see your work so well loved.  :0)

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 13, 2012 8:54 PM

Ok so I'm really far behind on these challenges, but I did get in a quick repair job on a bracelet I made for my step-daughter.  Turns out the lobster clasp was faulty, so I went in a completely different direction and attached a box clasp.  I'm still waiting on split rings to fix my necklace. We'll see what else I can get done in the next couple of days.  ;0)

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 14, 2012 12:07 PM

I am way behind on the challenges as well.  I have had a cold (or something) that has just wrung me out.  I finally took a day off work yesterday because I had been coughing so much I had hardly slept for 2 days.  I managed to get some sleep yesterday sitting in our recliner so I am back at work today (probably shouldn't be...).   I did go through some new metal beads I bought a couple of weeks ago (at the bead show I overspent on) and pulled out some gunmetal - new metal for me - to try and make something.  I have gotten as far as knowing it will be a bracelet and have a couple of possible other beads out to go with the gunmetal - but no final choice made yet.   If I can stay awake long enough when I get home tonight I might make a decision.

Ricki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 14, 2012 12:35 PM

Ricki - Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Be sure to take care of yourself. There is nothing in these challenges that is more important than you.

The last 3 days here have been wet and gloomy. Lightning  So, I've not gotten much completed. But if I can find a energy burst sometime soon I can probably catch up quick.

Take care

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Carol@633 wrote
on Mar 17, 2012 10:08 AM

I printed and put the directions for the Captured Crystal Cubes Earrings on my beading table right away--and I actually found time to do them--used 15s instead of 11s as my "cubes" were smaller-then found that 14mm rivolis worked great! i added dangles and love the sparkle!  and they are green for St Patrick's day-

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 18, 2012 5:48 PM

Wolfy, I think I'm more comfortable in this thread than in the reveal thread, so I'm just gonna start my posts here.  So far I have lost the camera and found it again, lost the pictures (and not recovered anything yet), and seen RL up close and personal.  I'll get things up as I can.

DAY 1:  Make a pair of earrings.

This is the same poor picture that I didn't want to post two weeks ago, but it's all I have now.  The earring seemed too simple, but I wanted to use the little enameled turtles that had been hanging around forever.  Silver-plated ear posts, green crystal bicones, and the aforementioned turtles.  I took them with me to visit a family friend who likes to see what I make.  Her sister liked the earrings so much that she asked to buy them.  I gave them to her and never got to make another picture.  Oops!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 5:44 PM

Day 2:  Use Up Some Bead Leftovers

I've been working on this concept for a while.  I have more beads than I can use and not enough room to store them.  I have been destashing in various ways, including donating some of the older items (mostly acrylic, some wood) in my stash to youth groups.  I still have many containers to go through, most of them inherited from my father, who found a lot of his beads at garage sales.  In the current piece, I located some pretty "turquoise" beads that must have been left over from one of his creations.  I had just begun to be interested in book thongs, had made a couple using leather, mistakenly purchased some 20 lb. Fireline--and put all of this serendipity together to use up those last four beads.

I used three strands of the heavy Fireline and braided them to make a somewhat thicker thong for the book.  Oddly enough, even though the whole thing seems fairly insubstantial, it's better for the book than the much thicker leather thong.  Here's the book thong in action.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 23, 2012 12:55 PM

Day 3:  Learn a New Beading Technique

This month is seriously slamming me with RL, so I haven't had time to take my class or dig out some of the new things that I wanted to try.  Indeed, while I intend to continue slogging on through the challenge, I am probably going to extend it well into April just to get to the parts I even want to do.  That being said, I am posting these earrings as my "new technique."   This is a Denise Peck creation from the October/November 2010 issue of Step-by-Step Wire Jewelry via Kristal Wick's blog entry for September 20, 2010.  I kept meaning to make them and only recently got buttons, wire, and gumption together in the same room.

The earrings are indeed simple to make.  I used 20 gauge wire, however, and find it too large for my ears.  I am going to make more using some 22 gauge wire and see what happens.

Day 11:  Make a Beaded Gift

I have given away a book mark, a pair of earrings, and a necklace this month.  In addition, I made this earring and necklace set for #2MIL's birthday and presented it to her (only 3 days late) on my recent visit.  Sadly, my camera was missing at the time, so this picture comes from my cell phone.

As usual, the cellphone (and lighting) do nothing for the necklace.  The beads are size 6 seeds, amber in color with a teal lining.  They come from a mix called "New Leaves" that I picked up at Hobby Lobby.  These particular beads bothered me, so I took them out of the mix and used them separately.  I was quite happy with how they looked without the other beads in the mix.  I also used a gold-colored triangle seed bead as the spacer; the triangles were salvaged from an earlier work that just didn't . . . work.  Actually, this necklace could suffice for the challenge on a number of days, so I will probably reference it when I get to those parts of the challenge. 

Now I need to find the missing USB cord.  Angry

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 23, 2012 3:14 PM

I am so far behind this month I'll need at least another month.  I am going to try and take some pictures this weekend of the things I did manage to get done, but won't be able to post since our computer is pretty well dead.  But at least I'll have pictures.

I did earrings day 1, used leftover beads day 2, did some organizing day 4, used chain in a piece day 5, used gunmetal (new metal for me) in a bracelet (supposed to be day 7 but I did it last night).  I did have a date with a bead friend - was supposed to be day 8 but I think I did it on the 3rd, and I have started to repair a broken piece of jewelry (supposed to be day 12 - who knows when it will actually get finished).  I still intend to do more of the challenges...eventually.

My main focus right now is to make something to donate to a silent auction at a fundraiser that happens in 3 weeks...might take me that long to decide what to make.  I went through pieces I have already in my completed items (for upcoming craft shows) and may choose one of them, but I am really leaning towards making something new.  As far as I know so far I am the only person with a jewelry item on the donation list and I really want to make something special that will bring a good price - makes me wish I were a better jewelry maker...who me feeling pressure???  The fundraiser is to raise much needed money for repairs at a historic chapel (built in 1844) that my husband and I are involved with.  It sits just above a creek and with all of the rain we have had this fall / winter, the creekbank is eroding and is taking the chapel driveway with it down the slope into the creek.  In order to have a retaining wall built to shore up the bank, replace the driveway and have the power lines replaced under ground (since the pole with the power lines is slipping down the bank as well) is going to cost something in the range of $50,000...we have raised $14,000 so far.  We are hoping to get money from the local township and have applied for a couple of grants + the wine tasting fundraiser coming up...and it's raining again today...more erosion YIKES!!

I'll keep you posted on what I finally come up with for my donation.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 23, 2012 10:39 PM

That's the spirit, Ricki!  Take this challenge on your own terms! 

The fundraiser donation would count for Day 11, I'm thinking.  I hope your silent auction goes really well and raises a lot of money for the chapel's preservation.  I'm sure you'll make something wonderful--and I can't wait to see it.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 11, 2012 1:31 AM

This may be the sound of one hand clapping, but I am finally able to return to posting my progress on the challenge that ended 6 weeks ago.  It may take me 6 weeks to finish and/or post everything, but I committed to doing the challenge--now I want to wrap it up (more or less).  I expect that several parts of the challenge will be out of "order."  Meh.

Day 4 Organize Your Bead Area

Actually, I've been working on this one for weeks now.  The whole "area" is a small room in the house I grew up in, my bedroom for a while when I was in elementary school.  We call it The Bead Room since that's what my late father called it when he made jewelry in here, surrounded by old TVs and their parts, tools for his truck, a whole pile of CB radios, a lot of junk, and one corner dedicated to beading.  Now that I am staying with my mother to take care of her, the room is once more mine, but this time all for beading--as long as I keep pushing to make the space mine and functional. 

My project for Day 4 was to clear up the work table on which several computers had come to rest and which had become a magnet for mess (not the only one in this room, sadly).  Here is one of several "before" shots that I made.

This particular shot already shows the bones of changes that I had been trying to make, with book cases on the table (a salvaged solid core door placed on top of two small filing cabinets).  The picture shows only two computers, but there were 4 in the room at the time.  Once I got rid of one of them (reconditioned for a cousin) and the huge monitor that took up a corner of the table, it was a matter of clearing off the mess and trying to make the space usable for a layout table.  Here's the result.

The two computers that are left will have to remain, at least until I complete some scanning projects.  When I work with the scanner, the monitor and other accessories for the far computer come down to the table.  They are not pretty in their current position, but they are at least out of the way.  I am out of solutions for all the wires.   The top of the shelves needs more work, but I decided that it will have to do for this challenge.

The shelves hold some tools that are not in active use as well as a few books (sadly unsorted) and some containers of loose beads roughly sorted by colors.  The little drawers and some pencil boxes on the right hold seed beads. 

I have purchased some nappy material to cut for a layout surface, but I have yet to cut or hem it.  I am using a towel right now.  My first work on the "new" layout table has been to pull strands of beads from their temporary storage in plastic tubs to get them sorted into more usable storage.  What a joy to have the space to do this now!

There are three other "areas" in the bead room which are also undergoing some reorganization.  Then there are all the areas under the tables.  I still have quite a bit to do.  WIP, I guess.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on May 11, 2012 1:39 PM

You've really made some great progress!

For the wires, you can hide them with cardboard tubes.  Cut a slit in one side of the tube, and then slip it over a group of wires.

Cat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on May 11, 2012 1:51 PM

Day 3:  Learn a New Beading Technique

I suspect that this challenge meant to encourage us to learn a new stitch or something, but I don't really stitch.  I had to come up with something appropriate to stringing or wire work.  It actually took me a couple of months to get things organized to the point where I had both a mama sitter and a class that fit my needs.  The class was actually a private class--just me and the instructor, Holly Gardner--taken at Bead Boutique in Webster, TX, that I took just this week.  I came with a laundry list of things I wanted to double check and new stuff to learn.  Holly was patient and encouraging throughout the session; best of all she was willing to learn with me when I threw new problems at her.

We did a lot of remedial wire work and, we agreed, got me ready for the intermediate class that has been my goal for a couple of years.  One new thing that I learned working with Holly was how to use wire guards.  She is recommending crimp beads (as opposed to crimp tubes) plus wire guards (which can also be crimped) for a cleaner look and more secure fastening.  I brought a UFO with me to the class, and I think it was well finished with the wire guards. 

I also have a little more confidence with the jeweler's saw (we'll see how that plays out pretty soon), have recommitted myself to banning gaps from my wrapped loops, and have a better feel for wrapping rocks.  Holly took this picture of my poor aching hands while I tried to get control of a wire wrap.

A successful wrap lurks in the lower left.  I was very pleased to learn a loop technique to hold everything together, to be able to focus on wire (not bling) in wrapping my goodies.  The proof of the pudding, of course, will be whether I can finish the rock shown in the picture, since class time ran out before I could complete it.  Surprise

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on May 12, 2012 1:09 PM

Paka

Good for you that you haven't let the challenge get the best of you. 

I would love to have your "bead room" I only have a small corner in my bedroom to work from. However, of late I have started using a card table set up in our living room. Embarrassed

And your wrapping looks pretty good form what I can see. I hope you will post a picture of the completed pieces.

Have a great week end.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Page 3 of 4 (52 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS