30 Day Challenge For Craft Month - March 2012

This post has 51 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,948
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 10:12 AM

I've got  the day 1- earrings completed. They are ,I'm ashamed, to say a bit too simple.  I even managed to get a picture taken. Now, Just have to get up loaded.

Day 2 is 99% done. Just need to put the clasps on. And get a picture taken.

Rikki & Paka - I wish you both luck resisting the call of all those sparkly little beadies. I think they have hypnotic powers Indifferent and have no qualms about using them on anyone... breathing.Stick out tongue

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Mar 2, 2012 10:28 AM

Day One Challenge is DONE! Even if it did mean that my son stayed up way past his bedtime... And I even got the tutorial for the herringbone bezels posted, too!

But now for Day 2...use up some leftover beads? What are "leftover beads"? Wink

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 12:53 PM

PAKA!  WTG!!  I can't wait to see them when you are finally able to get a nice pic of them.  :0)  Of course you're my challenge buddy!  It's always so helpful to have somebody who's learning along with you.  I kinda got sucked right into day 4 as well.  And day 4 isn't done with me yet!  As some of you know, I also do crochet, and with the chaos of Christmas and the earring challenge... well... both craft disciplines seem to have simply had their own version of a massive 20 car pile-up of an accident, because EVERYTHING was kinda tossed together in their various bags, containers, and whatnot.  I couldn't find anything I needed!!  

So at least now I have things in nice neat little material organizers, and while my beading supplies still aren't sufficiently organized for me to find stuff easily, at least they are no long all over the house.. (I think...) and no longer mixed in with the crochet supplies.  I'm still working on those earrings... they've been quite the challenge... I think I'm incorporating 3 or 5 challenges at once in those things! lol  But I'm slowly solving the puzzle as to how to put them together, and I am looking forward to seeing the end results.  And Paka, if there's one thing we've learned about you, is that you sure know how to have fun with a challenge.  Wink

MONI, you take all the time you need!  We don't want you to burn out!  Feel free to jump in at any time during the challenge if you ever get an inkling to do a challenge. Even if it's only one day out of the entire month that you decide you want to do something.  We'll all be here whether you participate or not, and no matter how much you do or do not participate.  Big Smile

WTG RICKI!!  I can't wait to see them!!  And maybe you can do something with your VISA so it's not so accessible when you go?  Like.. only bring cash with you, and just the amount you are willing to spend on supplies and food, and not a penny more.  Maybe you can leave it in a secure place in your friend's house?  Or if you can't do something like that, then perhaps you can put it in a little pouch that you can pin to the side of your bra so that you would have to stick your hands inside your top to get it?  Then you'd have to REALLY work to get your credit card if you wanted to go ahead and use it.

Paka!  Same for you! lol

SELLEN!, I'm the kind of girl who always feels the need to make things fairly complex... visually stimulating... etc.  And yet, many of the earrings I've seen in Jan's challenge that I found to be really beautiful were actually very simple in nature.  There's a big place for impact jewelry, but there's also a big place for simple as well.  Be kind to yourself.  The challenge said to make a pair of earrings, and you did just that, so WTG!

VANBEADS!  Those are STUNNING!!  I loved them so much I ran to your tutorial.  Looks fantastic!  I gave it a +1.  :0)  I'm so sad I don't have any bezels yet, but I might not be so intimidated by them now.  Up till now, I thought my only options for bezels was to Peyote stitch them in, and quite frankly, I find that to be HUGELY intimidating still.  I am completely adoring your way of doing it, and am thinking I might stand a chance with this one.  Big Smile  It looks like it might even be fairly adaptable once I get to know it a bit better.  Thank you so much for sharing how you made them!

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 12:55 PM

Just a quick note to let you guys know that I've created a reveal thread for this challenge over in Reader's Showcase.  I'm going to go finish solving the challenges to creating my earrings so that hopefully I may post in that thread soon myself!  Have fun all!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 11:27 PM

Ok I made my earrings and my stash is well on it's way to being organized!  Woohoo!  I'll post pics in the morning.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Mar 3, 2012 8:16 AM

Well, Day 3 is here - Learn a New Beading Technique. What do you think? There's loads of free eBooks from Beading Daily with techniques in them.

For me, I think I'm going to learn chain maille today. I have to write about it next week, so I might as well use it for my challenge today, right? Does chain maille even count as a beading technique? (Maybe I can throw some beads on it?)

For Day 4, Organize Your Bead Area, I don't know if I'll be able to do that - I just moved a new desk and bookcase into my living room "corner office" and it's pretty well organized! Although I do have a few boxes of beads that could stand some sorting and organizing.

Is anyone else trying to plan ahead? Or is it just me? LOL!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 9:32 AM

As far as I'm concerned, chain maille is most certainly a beading technique.  After all, it can be incorporated into beaded projects in the most surprising ways!  Whether you throw beads in it or not, it counts in my book!  

Day 3, for me it's a toss up.  Do I finally make those coral fringe earrings I've been wanting to try forever, or do I make that pretty bracelet that a friend sent me the tutorial for just yesterday.  I'm guessing the bracelet will most likely win, as I have to work today and according to the fringe tutorial, that coraling technique is time consuming, but we'll see.  One way or another I'm going to have to learn it this month... just maybe not TODAY. lol 

Yah, I'm definitely looking ahead.  For example, I've already decided that gunmetal will have to be the new metal I choose for that challenge, as I've never used that one before.  Our bead shops are few and far between, so I have to plan ahead to get my supplies.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,948
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 3, 2012 10:41 AM

Day 3 for me is going to be Viking Knit. Something I've been wanting to try for sometime.

Wolfykwe:

Yah, I'm definitely looking ahead.  For example, I've already decided that gunmetal will have to be the new metal I choose for that challenge, as I've never used that one before.  Our bead shops are few and far between, so I have to plan ahead to get my supplies.

I'm right with you guys on this one.

Good Luck with the new techniques today everyone and don't forget this is suppose to be FUN!Wink

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 12:26 AM

We had a massive sewage back up this weekend, so I got nothing done.  *sigh*  I did, however, manage to get in some shopping and got the findings and whatnot that I need, so I'm good to go.  I'll have to try to get caught up this week.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 7:50 AM

Well - day 1 went fine - made 2 pairs of earrings.  Day 2 I made a bracelet using leftover beads from 2 different projects.  Day 3 as you know, I set myself a challenge to NOT blow my budget at the bead show I went to.  I should have followed Wolfy's suggestions, but unfortunately., my credit card was too accessable.  I actually was doing pretty well through about 3/4 of  the show...  I had brought a couple of pendants with me that I had purchased recently and was looking for beads to go with them.  I hadn't found much, although I did find several other things on my shopping list.  I was pretty close to my limit on purchases when I got to S & S Lapidary's booth.  The wonderful lady at that booth has often been very helpful with ideas when I was trying to match something.   With her help, I was very successful in finding matches to 2 of the pendants (and a couple of other things that I hadn't set out to look for)...so I ended up over budget by about $40...could have been worse.  Since I went to the show with my bead friend Linda - and met another bead friend Kathy there, I already covered day 8!!  Yesterday, I did work for a little while on my continuing effort to re-organize my stash.  For day 5 (today) I have an idea for a bracelet that uses chain, just not sure I will get to it, but I will at least try to get the elements out and ready.  Not sure about the color palette challenge for tomorrow...need to think on that one for a while.

Our computer is still out of commission -so not sure when I can post any pictures...it is at the "computer hospital" on life support...hoping that they can at least retrieve files etc. off the old one and we might need to go computer shopping sooner rather than later...that wasn't exactly in the budget either...

Ricki

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,948
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 9:18 AM

For my day 3 was able to actuall get a Viking knit piece done. I still need alot of practise to make it look the way I want it too. But for a first time I think it went well. And I guess so did my Mother because she snitched the piece and hasn't taken it off since. It will be well tested anyway.*L*

I didn't get alot of organizing in yesterday but I did get all those little bits of wire, beading string,etc. all cleaned up and things straightened out. So, not too bad.

For todays using chain- I haven't got a clue what to do. I'll have to do some more thinking on it. Huh?ConfusedConfused

Wolfykwe- Sorry to hear about the plumbing problem. We went through that a few months ago so I sympathize with you. what a pain it was.Tongue Tied I hope things get better soon.

Rikki-I hope your computer is on the way to a "full" recovery. Wink

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 2:12 PM

Ricki, sounds like you're off to a great start with this challenge!  I hope you get your computer fixed soon, I know how frustrating that is!  I hope they recover all your files!  It's amazing what they can do.  I had my computer crash, and my hubby got his hands on some recovery software and recovered quite a bit of my pictures and files, but every. single. file. has been renamed some random generic number and reorganized them by groups of type.  I.e. all gif's, all jpgs, etc.  I'm never going to find my stuff in all that mess again.  It is, however, nice to know that it's not entirely lost. So even when everything looks impossible and lost, it's usually not.  Ricki, you may have gone over budget, but i am very proud of you for minimizing how far over budget you went!  It's a fantastic step towards creative responsibility!!  This is something that I myself struggle with, and I bet there are many more of us in the same boat, so you are in good company.  ;0)

SEllen!  WTG on that Viking knit piece!!  It sounds very interesting, and maybe even difficult!  I love that your mom stole it!  HAHAHA!!  Clearly you did a good job!  Maybe she'll be a dear and take a pic of it for you so you can post it?  I'm DYING to see it!!  Way to go on the organizing too.  Sounds like it will be easier to find things now.  Did you find something to do with chain? It can be a bit difficult to figure out, but thankfully I came across some images that gave me some ideas. The internet is a wonderful thing.  So are stores... so funny to be in a store now and say, "Wow!  I like that!  I can make that!" lol

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 2:13 PM

So today's challenge was to create a colour palette and it was actually kinda fun.  Read about it and see what I came up with in our reveal thread! Big Smile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,948
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 6, 2012 2:51 PM

Wolfykwe:
SEllen!  WTG on that Viking knit piece!!  It sounds very interesting, and maybe even difficult!  I love that your mom stole it!  HAHAHA!!  Clearly you did a good job!  Maybe she'll be a dear and take a pic of it for you so you can post it?  I'm DYING to see it!!  Way to go on the organizing too.  Sounds like it will be easier to find things now.  Did you find something to do with chain?

I'll try and get pictures up soon of what I've made so far, but it's too dark here today to get any good pics taken.

I did finally get something finished yesterday with some chain I had. It's an aluminum chain that I changed up a git. I made a 36" necklace with blue triangular glass beads. I'll try and get a picture of that too.

As for my color palete challenge - Still thinking on it. Will try and get it all in the showcase as soon as I can. I'm trying to go outside my comfort zone with this color palete challenge.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:30 AM

WTG SELLEN!!  I can't wait to see it!  And as far as the palette goes, I mostly stuck with my comfort zone, but dipped my toes in stranger waters for two of them.  I just wasn't any braver than that. lol  I don't even know how to use the one colour palette, it's so far out of my zone!  hahaha!  

Ok so today's challenge is to use a different metal in your jewelry... one you don't normally use.  For me that is gunmetal.  When I planned ahead a few days ago I had found a project and made a list of supplies and got everything I need, so hopefully after a full day of volunteering to help put together my son's classroom at the new temporary location, (they are tearing down and rebuilding their school) I'll be able to put it all together without any problems.  That is my hope, at least, as just about everything I do from this point on is nothing I've ever done before.  :0)

Have a good day ladies!

Page 2 of 4 (52 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS