30 Day Challenge For Craft Month - March 2012

This post has 51 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 6:46 AM

I found this 30 day challenge at Fusion Beads for Craft month.  I thought that with all the challenge excitement around here, maybe you guys might be interested.  I took a look at the challenge and it looks very lightweight, and has something completely different to do every day.  So who wants to try this with me?  If you miss a day, no big deal, the idea is just to try simple, new ways of thinking.  For those of us in the Spring Swap, a lot of these daily challenges can easily be incorporated into our swap challenge, so we don't have to worry about getting overwhelmed with two challenges at once.  So who's with me?

http://www.fusionbeads.com/beadingfaq/InfoChart.php?bfid=161

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 7:32 AM

I saw that challenge this morning in my e-mail and my first thought was "no way" and I clicked "delete".  After a few minutes I thought "well, maybe" and brought the e-mail back into my inbox.  I am pretty sure I won't make it through all 31 challenges, but since Day 1 is "make earrings" and I need to make a pair of earrings tonight for a gift for tomorrow, I have a start.   No promises, but I am going to see how many of the 31 challenges I can do...there is that pearl necklace my friend Kathy asked me to repair...and I do have lots of leftover beads...and I am in the midst of re-orgaizing my bead area...  O.K. count me in and we'll see how far I get.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 8:45 AM

HAHA! WOOHOO!!  Glad to have you!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
callyross wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 10:09 AM

I'm excited to get started! For once i find out about a challenge at the beginning and not half way through!

i love the beautiful calendar page i printed out. personally i should have more days marked "organize your bead area/s"!  Embarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,947
SEllen 2 wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 12:18 PM

I'll give it a try with ya.

There are a few days I'll have to change. But I think I can come up with suitable compromises.

It will also give me a bit more practise with firm deadlines. Not real good with those, lately. Hmm

Off to start day 1 - earrings. Yes

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 2:26 PM

I am sorta kinda tentatively thinking about doing this challenge.  I just got an order from Fusion Beads with the little calendar of challenges enclosed and was so tempted.  Right now RL is heavily in the way, including some travel, so I will not be able to do all of the challenge events on the exact day, and, to be honest, there were a couple that I didn't even want to mess with.  Still, so many of them looked interesting and fun and something I would want to do anyway that it would be fun to try.  So . . .

I've talked myself into it.  I will post what I do for each day, although I can't promise to do them on that day.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Editor
on Mar 1, 2012 3:22 PM

I'm totally in on this one! We're doing a couple of fun things here on Beading Daily for National Craft Month, too, but ours won't launch until Monday. Until then, I am definitely participating in the Fusion Beads challenge!

Did anybody notice that the first challenge is to make a pair of earrings? Is anyone going to do that one - or did I totally ruin making earrings for everyone back in January? ;-)

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 538
Emma.J wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 4:04 PM

Count me in! I like a good challenge. Although I only saw this post today (2/3/12) strangely enough, I did make a pair of earring yesterday - creeepy!

Emma
xXx

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 517
on Mar 1, 2012 9:43 PM

I'll be doing what I can. I have no intention of committing to all 31 days of challenges but there are some I'm definitely going to challenge myself with. Having my new swap beads will help with some of the challenges I think :-)

Shellie :-)

PS Emma I'm now following your blog :-)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 9:54 PM

CALLY!!  I'm so happy you got in on this one!!  And really, it's the kind of challenge that you could have jumped in on at any day that you found it.  I can't wait!  And I hear you about the organization thing... Mine is the world's biggest mess.  I'm seriously expanding my world over here out of the usual 11/0 seed beads, and that means a sudden bead buying frenzy in which I am buying far quicker than I can organize!  I need an intervention! *laughs*

SEllen, that's great!  I can't wait to see what you come up with for your earrings, and I am looking forward to seeing your compromises!  

PAKA!!  I'm so excited to have you join... I really felt like you were my challenge buddy during the earring challenge and you brought me so much inspiration as we both explored many of the same things together.  I already know from previous experience that you will challenge yourself, so that's not an issue, so just remember to be kind to yourself and do only what you can.  RL waits for no one, no matter how much we might sometimes wish it to be otherwise!

Vanbeads, I'm so stoked to have you jump in!  I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!  I can't speak for the rest of us, but for myself, I think the first challenge being a pair of earrings is perfect.  January gave us lots of practice, and now I know it's easier to make them than I might have otherwise believed.  Also, I'm still riding a residual wave of earring creativity.  I've been attempting earrings ever since your challenge.  They don't all work out... I have many earrings that don't have their partner to make a pair, but I'm still having fun working things out.  :0)

Emma!  I only posted it today!  And you can either adjust the schedule to suit aussie time, or you can do it on our time!  After all, it's still only the 1st here.  ;0)  I can't wait to see what you've done!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 9:57 PM

Shellie, I thought so too! As a matter of fact, I was looking at some of those challenges and thinking they might actually help me figure out what to do with those swap beads.  They are SO pretty, but also SO far out of my norm!  I love that for me, the challenge will help me with the beads, and for you, the beads will help you with the challenges! lol  This is so exciting!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 1, 2012 11:37 PM

Thanks for so much enthusiasm, Wolfykwe.   A little good cheer goes a long way around our house right now.  This will likely carry me through the whole month!  Think of me as your challenge buddy for this one, too, if only in spirit!  Smile

I've made my earrings for March 1 (before midnight!), but the lighting is too bad for the pix.  (I tried already.)  My plan (right now) is to hold off on Days 2 and 3, skipping straight to Day 4.  I can happily use up some leftover beads later on.  Indeed, given my storage crunch, I have been pretty diligently trying to do so ever since we finished the earring challenge. 

As for learning a new technique, is this ever the month for something like that to show up on a challenge!  A cousin has promised me a "free day" to do whatever I want while she stays with my mother.  I've been trying and trying to find a class or something "worthy" of a day out; last week I took advantage of a 20% off coupon and signed up for a private lesson at my LBS.  I just decided that since I know what I want to learn and never seem to get a class that does exactly that, a private class would be best.  I can't take the class until after my trip, but Day 3, whenever it happens, is gonna be grand.  Paka will wrap a rock!  Cool

I am knee deep in Day 4 already.

Day 5 is a travel day, and most of next week will be pretty busy.  However, while I won't necessarily do it on Day 8, I am so going to spend some time with my best friend and share with her what I know about making jewelry.  I'll do what I can, and maybe by Day 15 I'll be more or less on track.  Or not.  It'll still be fun.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 127
on Mar 2, 2012 5:36 AM

This is a beautiful idea, and I want to join, but cannot.

Not in this month. Please, excuse me, I sincerely want, but I have to relive myself after the 30 day challenge of earrings :-)

Many hugs for all!

Moni.

Patterns, Charms, Beads:  https://www.etsy.com/shop/Coccoementa

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 7:24 AM

Day 1 - so far so good.  I actually made 2 pairs of earrings.  I took pix, but i have no idea when I'll get a chance to post anything.  Our computer at home crashed the other day and my husband is taking it to see if someone can fix it or at least retrieve everything we have on it...so pictures will need to wait for now.

For Day 2, I have a bracelet in mind that will use up some leftovers from a previous project...we'll see how it goes tonight.

I am putting Day 3 on hold for Saturday and made myself an alternate challenge - NOT to overspend at the bead show my friend and I are going to (Gemstreet USA).  It comes here a couple times a year and is at the convention center all weekend.  I always have such good intentions and set myself a dollar limit...and then my credit card just seems to jump out of my hand at booth after booth and by the end of the day, my budget is usually blown to bits.  Maybe since I have "publicly" committed this as a challenge maybe I'll stick to it....  I'll report back on Monday...even if I blew it.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 9:39 AM

Rikki, I sincerely wish you well on sticking to your budget.  I can't buy ANY more beads right now.  I can't store what I have.  I have forgotten that I had several terrific beads and findings. I'm pretty sure that my stash will outlive me.  Lightning is surely gonna strike me dead if I buy another single glass pearl much less strands and strands of them (they just naturally stick to my fingers!).  I HAVE to resist buying anything unless it's just absolutely essential to finish a project.  And yet . . . I just hope you have more will power than I do.   My trip next week puts me in range of three of my favorite bead shops.   Oh, woe is me!

Page 1 of 4 (52 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS