Name for Jewellery Business

This post has 15 Replies | 8 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
hbrill wrote
on Feb 19, 2012 2:11 PM

Hi I've been beading now for a while but just selling to friends, family and work colleagues and craft fairs but really need some sort of business card, therefore I need a name and need some help.  My mind map ideas so far are:

Somerset, Beads, Wires, Brill, Helen, Jewellery, Treats, Surprises, Sparkly, Be Dazzled, Colourful, Rainbow, Wow, Love em, Treasure em, Forever, Friends, Gifts, Adore, Twinkle, Made for you, Jewellery for You, Endless, Sparkle, creative, Bijoux.

My name is Helen Brill and I live in Somerset, in UK and would like some ideas on what I could call jewellery/beading business.

Many thanks in advance, Helen x

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 19, 2012 2:18 PM

Helen, Ha! Knew you were from UK when I saw the spelling of Jewellery............all the jewel books I have in my library now and in the past from the UK spelled it that way.................

OK, so a biz name............what popped into my noggin was Brilliant Jewellery. That said, don't pick a name that is trendy now because it will soon be passe, don't limit yourself to "beaded jewellery" because you may want to branch out into some other area and then you are stuck again. If that name strikes you, check to see if anyone in your area uses it already, maybe then adding in Somerset in some minor way to differentiate yourself.

Just let  your mind flow, but keep in mind what you want to sell also. I got my biz name by doodling on paper, and had originally just written down something and the two words were nearby and they seemed to work. Donna

Not Ranked
Posts 22
fmsommers wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 6:40 AM

This are terrific, light-hearted names you're considering.

Years ago, when I was moving into a gallery space, an older professional gave me a tip. Whether you think it's valuable, is up to you, but it's worth a thought.

He suggested that I don't use any word like "jewelry" or "jewellery" in my business name. His reason was that at that time I was beginning to do some shipping and that using a word like this on my labels, business cards, checks, etc., would  attract the attention of thieves.

Another consideration in this regard is the tax collector. When I first started, I called my business "Fleury Jewelry." (This was before I received this good advice.) When I began filing tax returns, the state tax people contacted me wondering why I wasn't sending more money to the state if I was in the "jewelry" business. They assumed I was handling a lot of diamonds and other gemstones. I had to give them a little tutorial on "studio jewelry" - a lengthy explanation of why people who made studio jewelry tended to focus on design and not gemstones. That, of course, was a lot of fun and I just loved being on their radar.

Anyway, I took his advice and when I moved I called the business "Fleury Gallery."

The advice was helpful to me and may be worth considering.

Regards,

Fleury Sommers

http://fsommers.com

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 440
Ricki Ayer wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 7:44 AM

Helen - I know what a challenge it is to pick just the right name for your business name.  I do like Donna's suggestion of picking up on your last name with Brilliant Jewellery.  I also thought about your free association word list and picked up on "treasure" and thought about "Brilliant Treasures".  Keep working on it and one of these days the perfect name will just pop up in your mind and you will know it is the one.

Ricki

Ayer Baubles

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 12:27 PM

Brilliant Jewelry (or Treasures) - Designed to Make You Sparkle.  (Just thinkin' about it.)  Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
JoyfulMuse wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 5:40 PM

I, too, like the idea of picking up on your name with Brilliant Treasures. Good luck!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 446
megabgirl wrote
on Feb 21, 2012 11:56 AM

Dazzling Sparkles, Forever Jewellery, Twinkling Adornments, Surprise Treasures

You have lots of great words to work with! Good luck with your business!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 531
on Mar 5, 2012 12:27 AM

Hello There Helen,

I would choose a name that personifies you and the work that you do. Get some branding going with your style and Id say your on the right track. It took me a while to choose a name for my Jewelry but with alot of help from the wonderful people here on Beading daily I was able to find a name that fit perfectly! Good Luck to ya Yes

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Mar 6, 2012 8:11 AM

I had the same trouble when trying to come up with a name for my jewellery business. *waves hi from Essex*

I would avoid the use of the word jewellery in your business name, as some people can find it difficult to spell correctly, plus there's the US version of jewelry. So if you decide to either advertise in some way on the internet, either with a blog, website or an online shop, that has your business title, it's likely to end up typed in wrong.

I would only put a location in your business name, if you're highly unlikely to move anywhere else, as that might prove problematic for your customers if you ever move away if you're using a name with Somerset in it.

Any name combination you come up with, I would google it to see whether it's already in use, as you might not want to use it, if you want an online presence. I found words like sparkle, beads etc were very popular with jewellery business names. So quite a lot of the name combinations I came up with were already in use.

I quite like the idea of using Brilliant in the name as that is a play on your name.

I ended up creating a name that's personal to me - Purple Wyvern Jewels. The Purple coming from the fact it's my favourite colour, Wyvern from my love of fantasy books, where quite a few feature dragons (wyverns are cousins to dragons), and the Jewels to represent what I create, plus dragons/wyverns traditionally like sparkly jewels. I did originally think of using Jewellery rather than Jewels, but I ended up with going with Jewels for the aforementioned points I made about the word jewellery.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Feb 24, 2014 4:09 AM

As, much I know about online business, when you are going to start an online firm you should remember some of the most important points which is try to choose a name which is similar to your business and having a good search on it, if you are going to start an online business of Jewellery then  I much recommend that you  Jewellery for You, Jewellery, Gifts and Jewellery stores because these are some keywords which has been used at the time of searching online. You can also get suggestions by various tools which are available online.

Thanks!

e-jules

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 29
SegBead wrote
on Feb 24, 2014 1:33 PM

Lots of great selections and ideas. Great advice on avoiding the 'jewellry' part, I'd never considered some of those aspects. Disappointing, because considering your name, I thought Brilliant Jewelry was a great one... on that note, perhaps go with something along those lines of simply 'Brilliance' or maybe go with 'Brilliant Studios', 'Brilliance by Design'... something to that effect that still has an elegant sound yet doesn't scream steal/tax me LOL? I think playing off your particular name is, for lack of a better term- brilliant! :)

Best of luck !!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 262
on Feb 25, 2014 9:57 AM

You have these words all next to each other and it seemed to flow for me:

Love em, Treasure em, Forever.... 

Even though that is rather long- it sounds nice anyway.... good luck in your quest. 

marutibeads.com - some really cool beads..

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Domoynepy wrote
on Apr 26, 2014 8:13 AM

It’s really great posts.

Not Ranked
Posts 23
on Apr 27, 2014 1:22 AM

How about Brilliant Baubles? I'm a softie for alliteration.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on May 18, 2014 12:48 PM

Hi Helen! Just seeing these posts as I'm doing my own search to find inspiration on a new name for me as well. 

Did you decide on a name? It's so difficult. I've been going by Designs By Denise for years and really don't like how common it is. I create different styles of jewelry but am mostly focused on my teething/sensory/chew/nursing pieces now. That bring said I don't want a name to lock me into a certain category. 

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS