Hi Ladies - Update on huge peyote project

This post has 48 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 95
snybee wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 10:39 PM

I had a pattern that was quite large and I had it laminated at my local office supply store. I was then able to use a dry erase marker to mark off the beads as I put them on. When I was all done, all I had to do was take a damp paper towel and wipe off the marker and the pattern is ready to go again! This would work for either a graph or word chart.

Sandy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 24, 2012 12:58 PM

Instead of paying to have it laminated, you could use those plastic sheet protecters, the ones you put in a binder. Cheaper I think in the long run.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Feb 25, 2012 10:02 AM

oooooo, can't wait to see another picture of your progress!!! I am one of your cheerleaders!!!!!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 6:36 PM

Hello

Update: I have 77 rows finished as of today. I'm trying to do 6 rows a day - row by row by row.

Hope to show pic soon - you won't see much other than green green green and more green and browns and yellowish beads of all tones of them. The background is outside - hence leaves, branches etc. WOW. I have several rows of my hubbies hair done and can't wait until I bead his face.

Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 95
snybee wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 7:31 PM

This will work but you have to be sure that your pattern stays in place and can't move around in the sheet protector.

Sandy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 10:01 PM

can't wait for a pic!!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 539
Emma.J wrote
on Feb 28, 2012 5:30 PM

Kathy - I can't wait to see the finished product!!! I have only done 2 big pieces myself, but it was certainly alot of fun and something that I want to do another of! Sounds like there is still along way to go but we are all rooting for you!

Sandy - I'm sure stitcking a smidgen of blue-tac in the corners on the back/front of your pattern will help to keep the pattern in place in the sheet protector! But that laminating idea is a good one..

Emma
xXx

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 2:06 PM

Hi

I have 92 rows done as of right now and thought I would give you all a quick update.

Got a question ladies: I'm at the point where I have to start scrunching it - it won't hurt the project doing that will it????????????????? I'm a little scared to say the least.  Also should I be protecting when doing that - will the finishs be wrecked by beads rubbing etc.

I look forward to suggestions, tricks, hints etc on this - pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,503
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 29, 2012 2:20 PM

Kathy, I had an early project that had a loss of finish on the beads even before I finished working on it!! In my case it was because I used the old triangle beads from Toho with a metallic finish...........lots of work on the project and I still wear it, but it is not pretty any longer. I noticed the first part of the project looked worn as I was nearing the middle..............eek.

I would recommend that you dedicate a towel to your project and start rolling the work up using the towel as a buffer between the beads. Today's beads are stronger and have better finishes, but no need to subject your big project to any stress.

Roll it like a jelly roll, the soft towel (no matter how thin, it is still softer than bead against bead) will really help. Maybe a flannel pillow case..........go through your linen closet and choose. Donna

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 5:53 PM

update as of today I have 110 rows completed. Very excited about that - I got 12 rows done today - i'm getting faster at doing each row. My hubbies head is showing really good and his face (his forehead) is really showing - you sure to have to look at project at a distance to get the effect.  I took a pic of it and was going to show you a pic and I can't find the darn cord to plug into the computer to download the pic (how frustrating to say the least) will have to hunt for it.

If is not one thing its another LOL!

My hubby is working most of tomorrow so I will bead bead bead away - trying to get as much done as I can when I can.

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 2, 2012 7:43 PM

Kathy, you are really plugging away at that piece. I can't wait to see it.

It sounds like everything is starting to run smoother for you with this huge piece. I know you are probably saying to yourself, "never again" I know I did, but I found myself drawn to another large piece about a year after I finished the first one. They are fun to do and you get so excited as you get closer and closer to the end.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 7:26 PM

Hi ladies

I posted 2 pics on the READERS SHOWCASE of the project. Let me know what you think.

Update I have 122 rows complete as of today.

We have 15" of snow thusfar and no stopping in sight yet. WOW we will be buried here pretty soon.  I do love winter and snow, its beautiful and white and the scenery is just so awesome.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 6:31 PM

Hi All,

UPDATE: 138 rows complete as of today.

You can really see my hubby's face now - you can start to see his nose and the start of my head and veil is appearing.  Will post a pic next week - keep you all in suspense. LOL!

It is an interesting adventure thusfar to say the least - it is getting bigger and bigger and i'm rolling it but holy moly having it 19 and some inches wide is kinda tricky for the tension part of things.  It is going good. Oh and I had to buy another 125 yard roll of fireline 8 lb to - i'm sure going to be using alot of fireline in this project.  Hoping it will be on sale soon very soon - it will all help big time at $24.00 dollars a roll here in Canada.

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,290
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Mar 7, 2012 10:47 PM

I usually buy my Fireline in 300 yard spools. Which reminds me I need to get another 300 yards in a 6# smoke. The 300 yard spools usually run me $29.99 which seems like a lot till you start making one of these 19 inch pieces.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Mar 8, 2012 2:15 PM

Hi Sue

Where do you buy a 300 yard spool of fireline? Please

Kathy