Hi Ladies - Update on huge peyote project

This post has 48 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 10, 2012 4:52 PM

I'm back from our wonderful 2 week vacation in Mexico - we had a wonderful time and great weather and company - we go with 3 other couples - we have a blast.

Now back to huge project - girls you are going to laugh or cry or scream or throw or raise an eyebrow.

Got you all curious. LOL!

I thought okay I will bead all day today and get into it big time - focus and onward and forward. I am finishing the row i was working on and i'm thinking okay I don't like the tension - I can see the thread between beads in spots along the row - thinking not good. So needless to say guess what i'm doing?????? you guessed it I started all over again - got 4 rows done and there is one area that I can see the thread between beads - i thought okay gotta take  break here and email all you ladies. Will go back and see if I can tighten it up even more and get rid of the thread showing in that area.  WOW you really really really do have to pull very firm when the project is 19 inches wide - so totally different than a very small peyote panel.  I was reading on another message board of when doing peyote and hearing the click you know the tension is good.  I've never paid attention to listening to the "click" or "snick" to know the tension is good.  Thats my update and little story for today. Will let you all know the result of the 3rd start. LOL!

Its a learning curve and oh what an adventure this is!

Look forward to comments, support, ideas, guidiance, suggestions or whatever! (LOL!!!)

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Feb 10, 2012 8:55 PM

I can't imagine trying to keep tension over 19 inches!!   Have you considered doing it in staggered blocks?  That might avoid having an evident joint.  I'm not very good at peyote, so don't know if this will work.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 13, 2012 10:16 AM

I have no idea of how you would be able to do that with the peyote - doing it in blocks - how would you join them?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 16, 2012 6:14 PM

Hi all - I'm happy to report I have 32 rows complete - tension is good and all is well. Many Many Many more rows to go. LOL!

Got any ideas of what to use for markers - at the moment i'm using pieces of fireline.

Kathy

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 17, 2012 5:52 PM

Hi Ladies

I have 39 rows complete and just started row 40 - i'm in the zone beading row by row by row.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to use as markers along the way?

Also another question - when do you weave the beginning and ending threads in - I have alot already.  Can i do it now?

Look forward to you ladies guidance on the above questions

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 18, 2012 12:13 AM

stitchngirl:
I have 39 rows complete and just started row 40 - i'm in the zone beading row by row by row.

Your getting there now girl.

stitchngirl:
when do you weave the beginning and ending threads in - I have alot already.  Can i do it now?

You can do it whenever you want to. I usually do mine as soon as I have enough room to do it. It just looks neater to me, and makes me fell better knowing I have that under control, and not a big deal at the end.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Feb 18, 2012 2:03 PM

hang in there and good luck! Can't wait to see more pics of your progress!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 643
untmom2003 wrote
on Feb 18, 2012 2:08 PM

Hang in there and can't wait to see pics of your progress!!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 285
Sharon Mc wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 4:26 AM

Kathy, I have an idea for marking your work to keep track of where you are, but it won't work if the pattern you are working off of is not disposable.  When I do a large peyote project (never as large as yours!), I tend to lose track and nothing I did to keep my place seemed to work until I did this--

After every couple of stitches I take my needle and punch a hole thru the corresponding bead in the pattern picture. This way I do not have to put the work down in my hands and I can visually see where I am at all times. It leaves a tiny hole where light goes thru the paper, small enough not to bother me, but large enough that it is easy for me to keep my place at all times.  I usually do it every 5 stitches or so. 5 stitches-5punches. Hope this helps.

Sharon Mc

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 20, 2012 5:17 PM

Thanks Sharon for that hint of keeping track on the word chart pattern. Excellent idea - i mark off with pencil every 3 or so beads.

I was referring to the bead project - 188 beads across it a long ways - was wondering how you ladies marked along the bead row?

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 21, 2012 8:12 AM

Kathy, I don't keep track of anything on the design itself. I just keep track of where I am on the word chart. When I stop for the day of night, I just draw a straight line at the end of my work (on paper) I know when I resume I know right where I ended.

For me I usually would work the whole row before I quit for the day, or even to take a short break. I really don't see any need to mark your piece as you would if you were doing a large knitted piece.

Just my thoughts.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 22, 2012 12:59 PM

Hi Sue - your comment of:

For me I usually would work the whole row before I quit for the day, or even to take a short break. I really don't see any need to mark your piece as you would if you were doing a large knitted piece.

How on earth do you keep track on the bead row without marking every once in a while. LOL! your good i'm thinking.

188 rows across is hard to make sure one doesn't put one to many or one to less. LOL!

Kathy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Feb 22, 2012 3:04 PM

Kathy,

stitchngirl:

LOL! your good i'm thinking.

188 rows across is hard to make sure one doesn't put one to many or one to less. LOL!

Kathy,

That makes me laugh, for I have just found a couple of tricks to help me. It has nothing to do with being good LOL.

My brother in law, as a foreman, said,  if you get the laziest person to do a task and watch him, you will find the fastest or easiest way to do it. Well, I would be that person they watched, because I want to get it done as fast as I can.

I guess my question to you is, are you using a word chart or a graph? I usually use a word chart. As long as I have been doing peyote, I still have trouble getting on with a graph. So if the pattern doesn't come with a word chart. I either struggle making the piece, or I chart  it into the older version of "Easy Bead Pattern" and print out a word chart. So I am not as good as you may feel. I also have struggles, I have just learned to change the directions into something I can handle easier. I can only put it into word by using my finger to keep my place, and we all know you can't bead and keep a finger on your spot, if I could I would not have to use a word chart.

If you have never used a word chart, you need to try one. Word charts make my life easier. I am able to say; okay I need to put on 26 yellow, or 4 black or whatever the bead be, and if you need a visual helper, you can always but a small hash mark through the beads that you put on. If you forget how many beads of the 26 yellow you already put on, you can take the 26 yellow and put them in a small pile and when they are gone you have put the 26 yellow in their place.

I make all my marks on the paper where I have either a word chart or a graph. When I end work either for the day or a break I use a mark like this " | " on my paper  to indicate  where I left off. When I am ready to resume my work, I know that the next bead I will add to my piece is to the right of that mark. While I really need the marks on the word chart or the graph to keep my place, I don't see how a mark on the actual beaded piece servers a purpose.  If you have to take some beads out, just erase the mark you have on your paper and back up counting how many beads you take out and will need to replace, erase your old mark and put your new one on.

Also when I finish a row of beads I will with my pencil draw a line at the end of that row. Now if you want to know what I do with all these marks on my paper, I go to the last mark made to resume my work. If have to stop in the middle of a row, maybe you can mark where you stopped with a colored pencil to make it easier to see. But that is all I do, and I have made several large pieces in my beading past.

Am I making any sense of what I am trying to explain? I sure hope so, because you shouldn't make this any harder than what it is. So make the piles of the counted beads if you have to. Make it as easy as you can.

But all in all, when you are finished no one is going to know how difficult or easy it was for you. They will just look with amazement at the piece of art you created.

I am now in search of another large piece to give next Christmas to our Priest.  And now that we have an associate Pasteur at our church,  I need to make two pieces for next year, plus make something for our two Nuns. I better get busy and find what I am looking for pretty soon, or I won't have the time to complete them all.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
stitchngirl wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 5:46 PM

Thanks Sue for your expansion on what you do.

UPDATE: I'm very happy to report I have 62 rows done as of today.  I managed to get 11 rows done today alone.  I'm on a mission.  I'm very excited that I started on my hubby head - there is a few rows showing of his hair - can't wait to see his face and all.

Will try and take a pic and show you all - this is tricky when hubby uses this computer all the time. LOL!

All for now

Kathy

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,488
D.M.Z wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 6:19 PM

Kathy, I can't believe how you are zooming along now! I think we will all be so proud of your success, sort of like rooting an athlete along. Everyone gets behind it and gets "into" it all.

Sue mentioned putting multiple beads in a pile........that is how I do it in a way. I just never thought out the process. But I am looming and I'll take a row and lay it out, usually using a graph. When I first assemble the graph papers together, I run a good dark marker down every 5 beads (of course being loom/square they are in a straight line and would be the same on peyote, but might be more confusing) so if I am running background for instance, I can look and see that the color spans 4 "marks" and a couple of odd beads, so I know to pull out 22. I DO line my beads up on a bead mat in color groups and do a quick count to make double sure I have all of them, then I scoop them onto my needle and put the row on. My last project the graph was more like a bed sheet (my mistake in printing it in a bigger font, then I lost the pattern in my computer and couldn't reproduce it the same) so I used the word chart. For something this large I liked it, and it was easier because it already told me to pick up 22 of those beads...............

Keep up the good work......................... Donna

Page 1 of 4 (49 items) 1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS