WOW! that took awhile!

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 525
on Jan 31, 2012 11:22 AM

I just got an email from beading daily telling me that a comment I posted on a thread on JAN 16th was approved. there is either a glitch in the system or comments are actually being posted in a timely matter and the approval system is taking it's/their time sending notifications. It' s just weird to me and I thought I'd share ;-)

shellie

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,296
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 12:43 PM

Glad you at least got a notice saying it was approved. But that is still an insult that they are monitoring a member that has been here for some time and has never posted any spam.

Shame on BD, they seem to want to run off the people that has made this site what it is today. The only way that this group out shines the other forums online, is the free giving of the members. For the most part most of us are here to help promote the art of beading or jewelry making. The other forums just don't have the same giving nature, and that is the reason I and many others are still here at BD.

I wrote Jennifer a note saying how disappointed I was that BD had done this to me, and it was a sad day when long time charter members were subjected to this practice. I heard back from her within a day, with my full membership restored. She said that she didn't know why, but my account was flagged to be monitored, and that she had taken care of it and it was fixed and I had all my rights restored to the fullest. 

Maybe, everyone that has had this happen to them should also write Jennifer and let her know. Something is wrong with the system, and if they don't get complaints from the long time members, they won't know that we are upset with this practice. That is servers no real purpose, when the real spammers are still getting through with their spam. I just reported two spams this week and this is only Tuesday. 

I will e-mail you a copy of the note I sent Jennifer and the return message. That is if I can figure out how to do it. LOL I am pretty good with figuring out how to do a bead design, but computers are another animal. LOL

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 105
OriginalSin wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 1:08 PM

I got the same email, but my *attempted* post was more recent - January 25. I haven't been here for a long time, but for sure I keep my mouth in check, don't spam and don't post malicious offsite links. Don't know why on earth all of a sudden my posts are monitored.....!

Both Vim and I noticed that every time we tried to post a link lately, the system would swallow up our posts. Now I know they were eaten by admin for monitoring purposes. The "release" notice I received was for a post in which I had placed two links. I don't have time to chase the site administrators about this....what a PAIN!! I suppose I won't be posting here a whole lot from here on in Confused

Have a nice evening, ladies!

Andréa

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 525
on Jan 31, 2012 2:23 PM

I got the email Sue. Thanks! Looks like I'm going to be writing an email myself.

What's weird though is that not all of my posts are being moderated only some of them. Honestly, I'm not sure I would be totally against full moderation if it eliminated the SPAM. HOWEVER, everybody's posts would need to be moderated all the time and BD would need to make it very clear to all members both long timers and newbies that the entire forum is moderated.

Of all the things that irritate me the most on this site it's the near total lack of communication from the powers that be about anything that happens here. It's like they all think we are blind and mute or something.

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 2:41 PM

Wow! I just checked my email after reading this thread and I had 7 emails about posts that I wrote forever ago that have finally been approved to be posted. As if anyone even wants to read them at this point!

All of them (except for 1) were posts with links in them...but seriously, after this long I hardly think the posts are even relevant to the Original Poster. I'm sure someone else will come along and read them at some point and it might be helpful but the point of responding to someone's question is to help them out in a timely manner.

I have been having a lot of problems with this recently and not just with posts that have links in them. So I followed Sue's advice and emailed Jen about it...twice. I never got a reply to the first email several weeks ago, but I did get a response to the second query and she connected me with someone that I assume works in the tech dept. This was yesterday...and then today we get all these moderated posts coming back from the netherworld.

I just wonder if they will actually fix this problem or it this is their solution...cause if it is, I am not so sure it's going to work. Those of us who have been actively participating members of this forum and are having our posts held for moderation and in the meantime spammers are still getting through. Doesn't really seem fair.

I know that Jen is the Beading Daily editor/guide but she cannot be the only person working behind the scenes on this forum/site. I don't want to constantly bombard her about these problems, but it doesn't seem like there is anyone else that we can contact about this.

And I doubt that anyone was even reading our posts that were being "held for moderation" until I emailed the tech person yesterday. All of the old forum Moderators are no longer here on a regular basis (if they even come here at all anymore)...so if "The Powers that Be" are going to hold our posts for moderation instead of figuring out a good filtering system when members first sign up for this forum, then they need to have someone actively reading and moderating those posts so that they appear in a timely manner!

Andrea, I truly understand your frustration....I am equally as frustrated with this! I really hope that you stick around. You have so much to offer and I really enjoy your company here...same thing with Sue and Shellie and everyone else who shares in this forum!

Of all the beading forums out there, this one has the most activity. And I am not talking about the hundreds of thousands of "members" that are signed up here (BD seems to think this is the important factor and it's not) I am talking about the fact that many other forums have maybe one or two new posts in a whole week, whereas this forum will have dozens of new posts every day! I would hate to see that die down!

There is a good community here..."The Powers that Be" just need to figure out a better system for dealing with these problems...and preferably a system that respects the regular, active members of this forum!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 3:06 PM

Shellie, how funny that we both used the term "The Powers that Be"!? I was typing my reply at the same time...haha!

But I totally agree. There needs to be better communication. We have no moderators or guides even posting in the forum these days...much less reading anything we write! Every other forum I participate in has moderators and magazine editors who read and post as often as the regular members...of course those other forums are not nearly as active as this one, but you all know what I'm saying!

Other forums that I have been a member of used a great system for dealing with spammers:

When you first sign up to be a member you have to type in the matching letters/numbers into that little boxThen you have to verify your account through your email. Then your first 10 posts are moderated by an actual person so they can verify that you are actually a human and not a spam bot or even a human spammer. Then, once approved you can freely post in the forums.

I have never seen a case of a spammer getting through these types of systems. But there has to actually be someone reading these posts or it doesn't work.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 569
Beadiecat wrote
on Jan 31, 2012 4:17 PM

I got the same e-mail today about one of my posts!

So, if the post was released, does that mean that my posts will not be "moderated" going forward?  Or do I have to e-mail Jennifer?

Andrea, I agree with Vimala.  Please don't flounce!  I have always enjoyed seeing your posts, and I was so happy when you joined this board.  They'll get the moderation thing worked out.  Have faith. Devil

Luv ya all!

Cat

The Cat's Meow Blog

My RebelMouse page and Etsy shop

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS