copyright laws for pictures in resin jewelry

This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
LauraM@119 wrote
on Jan 27, 2012 4:51 PM

Hi,

Can any picture be used in resin jewelry and then sold?  I noticed someone on etsy was using monet and pictures from Beatrix Potter.

any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

LM

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,259
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 27, 2012 5:41 PM

I am not a lawyer, nor do I know all the rules pertaining to copyright, but I believe, in order to use someone else pictures they first must get permission to do so, or be in violation of copyright laws.

Hope this helps.

Happy Beading !!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 27, 2012 8:32 PM

Like Sue, I have no legal experience but I believe that Copyright laws protect the work for 70 years after the designer/creator's death and then the image/design etc is public domain. So in the case of something like a Monet, you should be in the clear...(again, I am not a lawyer and am only stating what I remember reading regarding coyright laws)

But any time you are wanting to use an image or design created by someone else, it's a good idea to get permission. However I'm not sure where one would begin to look for ownership/copyright info for images unless you know the designer's name!

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 388
Wolfykwe wrote
on May 17, 2012 10:39 PM

I do believe Beattrix Potter is EXTREMELY protective of their images and it would not be advisable to use their work in your own.  Disney  and Amy Brown are two other very aggressive defenders of their intellectual property.  Best to steer clear of those completely.

The best gift you can give anybody is to love yourself.  Gift 

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS