A different kind of bead loom -

This post has 62 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,273
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 11:37 AM

Thank you Sandy.

I plan on ordering my loom in a couple of weeks. I was going to order it this coming week, but my car needs a little work that will run me $300. I know in todays market $300. isn't much, but I am 66 and living on a fixed income, so I have to plan and save for everything. Thank God my son is an certified master mechinc and he is doing the work for me. Next month I need to have shocks and struts put on before I ruin my new tires.

Anyway, I do plan on joining in shortly. I hope you all don't mind having a greenhorn around. LOL

Oh yea, for all you people that do looming and square stitch, I was at Staples last week and they had graph-paper tablets on clearnance, I grabbed 4 at $ .50 each. That was two desk size and two purse size. I think I am set with graph paper now. So anyone with a Staples store near them, go take a look.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 22, 2012 11:49 AM

Sue,

believe me, I know all about living on a low or fixed income! I think we have all been hurt by this economy and something like car repairs is costly and so important! Luckily you have a mechanic in the family! I was unable to fix my car this summer and have had to just let it sit there! I need to get rid of it now!

And do not worry about being a greenhorn! We all started out there! And that's the point of the group...to learn new techniques! So I look forward to seeing you in the group!

I am not sure which loom you are looking at, but there are 2 companies that make some really good ones that are made in the US. They both also have a range of them so you can get a smaller less expensive one to start with!

But check out Beadlooms.com and Beadandbeadlooms.com. I am not linking either of these because my posts are still being held for moderation if I do...but both of these companies make excellent looms and you can get a small one for around $30 or $40. I would get one that is at least (8" to 10" long) by (4" to 6" wide) though! This will make your life much easier in the long run!

The beadandbeadlooms.com company includes shipping in their prices and also sells on ebay...sometimes it's easier or better for some people to buy through ebay so I just wanted to mention it!

I have one from beadandbeadlooms.com and I love it. I got the number 8...it is 8" wide by 24" long and it is adjustable down to 12" long...it also has a stand on the back of it that can stand it up for vertical looming.

I really like the tension adjuster and thread lock system on this loom! But I know many ladies and gentlemen that use the Beadlooms.com looms and they love them! I can't wait to see what you choose and start looming!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Destinyhunt wrote
on Jan 23, 2012 1:29 AM

I couldn't agree more!  (Destiny)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Destinyhunt wrote
on Jan 23, 2012 1:34 AM

Hi there,

If you want a really good deal on a great loom, I just bought one I LOVE on ebay for $29.95 with free shipping. It was from beadandbeadlooms.com. Not all of their looms had free shipping - this is the one with a 10 1/2 inch loom table. My first little plastic loom wasn't long enough for some of Erin's techniques and I bought some supplies for my hubby to make me a loom, but when we saw how reasonable and well-made this one was he said "just buy it". (Gotta love him for that.) I'm not affiliated with the company or anything, in fact I'm also in Erin's group.

--Destiny

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 23, 2012 10:13 AM

I bought mine on ebay only because I earned free $ points that way...but I remember shipping being free for all of their looms on both sites. (I did a lot of comparison shopping before I bought my loom...haha)

So I just checked their sites to make sure they still offer free shipping because I recommend these looms to people all the time and don't want to give out bad info! And both the ebay site and their website say that shipping (in the US) is included in the price for all of their looms.

It does look a little confusing on their website though because of the way they word it...for example, it lists the price: $79.50 and then it says $9.50 Shipping & Insurance included in the total.

Also I noticed a minimal price difference on some of them...but it's between $.50 and $1.50. and it's not consistently more on one site. One is cheaper on ebay and then another one is cheaper on their website! So it is a little confusing! But what really matters is that they make really nice looms and they are made in the USA!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 932
on Jan 23, 2012 4:05 PM

Hello All! I am stopping in to say I noticed some new 'Requests to Join' BLI...(great news by the way!) but there is no way to contact those requests in return. If you are just setting up your FB account and only joined for BLI, then send me a personal email.

Sadly, two that have requested, are the second requests to join. They had to be deleted with no way to return a message. I rewrote the description of the Group to inclue how we need to return the message.

Not even sure if I am posting this in the right place, but I am on the hunt for those two...Big Smile Don't want to let any loomers go to the way side!!! lol

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Destinyhunt wrote
on Jan 23, 2012 4:22 PM

No, that would be a travesty! Because looming is FUN again when you don't have to fear the warps. 

--Destiny

p.s. so this is where you hang out when your not at BLI!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Destinyhunt wrote
on Jan 23, 2012 4:22 PM

No, that would be a travesty! Because looming is FUN again when you don't have to fear the warps. 

--Destiny

p.s. so this is where you hang out when your not at BLI!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 932
on Jan 23, 2012 7:09 PM

I am following YOU around....

One of many places, including my loom!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jan 30, 2012 1:14 PM

Hi Everyone,  I am the copyrighted author of the original No-Warps! loom method.   I had been teaching this technique for about 20 years.   The beauty of the this method is that one only has a couple of threads to tie off at the end of the project.  And, yes, it is limiting as to the length of your piece.  However, one can use square stitch to lengthen your bead work if it is too short.  It is perfect for cuffs, belts, purses, and trims!   
This is NOT a "Pull and Pray" method.

One of the best reasons for using my method is that one does NOT have to buy an expensive loom to do it!  Loom work is an ancient art that can use ordinary materials for the"loom" .  Pieces have been made from 2" to 7 feet long with this method.

Though I do use a traditional loom for pieces that have advanced techniques in them, I still love this method for the simpler pieces.

Please visit my website, www.MoondanceDesigns.com for a look at my No Warps! method kits and booklet.   You can also email me at the address on the website if you want to ask me about my method.  I have taught this technique all over the country at all the major bead shows, bead shops, and weavers conferences.

Don't spend a lot of money on a loom using paper clips and other contraptions.   All you need is a picture frame, ties, thread, and a pattern!   Keep it simple.....

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 2:44 PM

Thanks for the info Theresa!

I think there may have been some confusion here though as the 'Ricks loom' does not use Paper Clips and it does not use the 'Pull & Pray' method either. It is different than any of the other 'No Warps' methods such as the Paper Clip Method, Pull & Pray Method etc...

It is a simple loom with an easy to use, no warps method that uses no contraptions or paper clips...and for what it is, I think it's worth the cost of the loom. It is a one time cost and most people end up buying more than one loom anyways.

Personally I like to learn about all the methods that are available to beaders and I feel that each method has it's place in the world of beading.

Also, I just went to your website and it says that you have gone "Out of Business". Although I was able to find the instruction booklet for your No Warps! method, I was not able to find the Paper Clip Kits or any other info about your Paper Clip method.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
on Jan 30, 2012 5:13 PM

Hi Tia,
My method does not use paper clips and uses a frame that you can buy at any craft store for your loom.  Add a couple of sticks, some ties, and you beads and you can loom hundreds of pieces with the same supplies.  My kits contain the 16 page booklet and the materials, beads, findings, and patterns you need to learn the method.   You can use these materials over and over.   And it is easy to travel with as it is also a tray!   The booklet is sold separately, too.  The booklet is the way to go if you have beads and patterns already.

I have taught hundreds of folks this technique and have sold close to 600 kits.  I did look at Rick's video and one thing I did not like about the finished product is the thread shows at the end of every other bead and leaves a space when you take the warp rod out.  This is okay if you are covering the end with a long clasp but that extra thread may affect the final tension of the piece.   

Can you tell I am passionate about loom weaving?  I am also an advocate of simplicity and saving money where ever I can so that is how my No Warps! came to be.

It has been fun discussing this with you!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 30, 2012 8:47 PM

There are many looms, including the large Mirrix looms that can be used for no warps methods. I can't wait for Erin's book, but right now I use a modified no warps method. I have collected many articles out of magazines with different ways of doing this. I picked through all the ideas but since I generally loom "pictures" and portraits and have done some pieces with cut outs and applied stuff on top of the work..............I use whatever loom I have around that works for the size I want. Also, and this is why I am happy with the method I use now (come on Erin, get that book out early), I use Bead Creator Pro to make my patterns. So I know what size my finished product will be. I CAN bead "outside the lines" and do some other things, but basically I am making a rectangular or square piece. My largest loom will contract down to bracelet size, so I can do those too.

I love new ideas and methods and I'm not afraid to ditch what I have for something better.Right now I have only the green loom off this picture and some others that are smaller and the big Mirrix. I have purchased several copies of T. Gutherie's booklet and one full kit to learn her method and what I am doing is basically her method with a quirk or two of my own. If someone wants to learn her method from me, they have to buy the book or the kit to do so, has to be as it is her method. Donna

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 932
on Jan 31, 2012 3:19 PM

The most creative loom to consider, no matter what your preferred way of finishing, would be one that allows you to adjust the warp tension.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
teribus wrote
on Jun 12, 2012 2:55 PM

I hope I'm posting this to the right place. Can anyone tell me where I can buy a Rick's Beading Loom? I have read about it, watched videos, and now just want to buy one, but can't find a supplier. Of course, because of that, it has become an absolute must have!!

Helen

Page 2 of 5 (63 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS