A different kind of bead loom -

This post has 62 Replies | 8 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 546
CryssT wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 3:13 PM

Just was reading my new Beadwork magazine and ran across this today -

rvbeading.com and watched the video on Rick's Loom.

http://www.rvbeading.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=4

I'm not good at posting links but at least you can copy and paste it.

This looks so amazing for bracelets and amulet bags at least.

I wonder if Erin has run across this loom and what she thinks about for 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Jan 17, 2012 4:27 PM

It looks interesting and somewhat compact. It looks like it can be adjusting for different lengths too. I also like that it's more affordable than some of those professional looms that are available. And minimal end weaving too. A newbie loomers dream :-)

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
D.M.Z wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 5:38 PM

The RV Loom is a nice product and priced fairly. We used to make and sell a similar product at the $40.00 level. With his loom you want to make your loomed piece with not a lot of space between the rows, as he shows you to move the rows close together, the only extra warp at top and bottom are what goes around his nice thin rod.

At that price point it is a good choice for starting out. It's limitation is width and if you get to that point, you need a bigger loom anyway. Everyone has their favorites. I like my green jungle wood loom better, but it requires a bit more thought into warping up, on the other hand it will do an 8x10 piece which needs a heftier loom. Donna

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 8:21 PM

This looks like my kind of loom, seeing I am so afraid of all the warp threads at the end of the project.

I would like to know what Erin thinks of this loom. I was looking at it pretty seriously, I can't find if the shipping is free. All it says is that he usually ships within so many days and the means of shipping, but he doesn't get a shipping cost. Wonder if he has included this in the cost of the loom. If anyone has first hand knowledge of his shipping policy, I would love to hear from you.

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 9:25 PM

I was very intrigued also, having never loomed myself.  I hope we get some feedback from someone who uses it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 17, 2012 9:37 PM

I don't mind the $50. as the one I was looking at was $40. + shipping. So if I can avoid the warp threads it may be worth the extra, but than if the shipping is free, it will come out about the same. Just interested in what others have to say about it.

Happy Beading!!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 6:10 AM

Hi ladies,

this loom came up in a discussion in Erin's FB group a few months ago...but I am one of the few who thought it looked like a good idea!

I don't want to speak for Erin, but I know that she does not exactly recommend the "No Warps" Looms or Looming techniques because her Warp Management Technique gives you more freedom in your design and looming process. With her method you can loom anything, any size and make adjustments or changes along the way without the restrictions of the loom table size.

With most of these "No Warps" methods and Looms, you are sort of restricted by the loom table size between your 2 predetermined ends...and this is not usually adjustable once you are warped and looming! So you might get to the end and realize that you have a tiny bit of space left in there but not enough to fit another row of beads without completely screwing up your tension. 

So you usually have to "Pull and Pray" your warp threads to tighten up these spaces at the ends. And this only works if you have not pierced any warp threads or tied any knots around your warp threads while adding new weft threads...and even then it is not a guarantee!

I have used Erin's techniques which work great and save alot of time...and I have used the Reweaving the Warps technique which is fine for smaller pieces but very time consuming with any larger pieces. I have also tried the Paperclip method which worked well with my loom based on how I attached the Paperclips to my loom and because of how my loom works, but it still has some restrictions and is a major process to get all set up!

I have not used any of the No Warps Looms, but after having tried and experimented with so many methods, I think the Ricks Loom looks like a really nice loom...and I think it would work better than many of the other No Warps Looms and methods out there! It also looks much simpler to deal with than the whole Paperclip set up which is a major process!

It seems that a lot of thought went into designing this loom so that it works well without most of the problems that you usually run into with these types of looms. It has the adjustable loom table which also works as a tension adjuster etc. And it would be simple for a beginning Loomer to work with it!

So in my opinion, I think it is worth it. Obviously it restricst the size of things you can loom but it would be perfect for cuffs, bookmarks, amulet bags or small cell phone bags etc...It is on my wishlist for when I can afford one. I really like to learn as much as possible about beading techniques, methods and tools...and I think that there is definitely a place for this tool in the world of Bead Looming!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 8:42 AM

Thanks Tia, You gave me a lot of different things to consider. I will defiantly have to give it a lot of thought. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 427
ss10001 wrote
on Jan 18, 2012 9:54 AM

I've been looking at this one, too, but haven't made the plunge yet.  I already have a small beginner loom that I've never even used, so I really don't need to be buying this.  And I'm not sure where I think I'm going to find the time to learn looming.  BUT the lure of this is almost irresistible!  And Erin make looming look so FUN!!!  Darn you, Erin!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 929
on Jan 19, 2012 6:01 PM

OK I do have a reply ... Be right back. I am on my IPad and want to get to my desk top. 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 929
on Jan 19, 2012 6:32 PM

I am very familiar with these type of looms, many suppliers of looms are either making adjustments to offer a 'paper clip' set up or some are advertising such a loom for the first time. Here is my take....

These type of looms are very fiddly to set up. You have to warp the loom by going through each of the paper clips, while being sure the paper clips sit firm and straight. Then, you are tied to the length of space the paper clips arrange for the looming. If you are able to learn a new and easy way to manage the warps, it really will not matter want loom you use, even a bowed stick with warps taut.

I guess what I am getting at is the fact this type of loom is not able to offer the creativity you may yearn, once you have loomed 95 strips of beads. My process of looming will allow for a more creative design and greater flexibility to loom things that paper clip looms will not allow. Here is an example of something I am looming right now

You would not be able to loom such an edge on a paper clip loom. Also, for the price I see these listed, some $50.00 some $125.00, it is not worth the cost to just loom 'strips'. Any loom can be utilized for bead looming. There are some available on the market for only $30.00. They offer the tension control and loom table for you to create and design to your hearts content. Sure, this too may be more than what anyone wants to spend for a little trial of bead looming, but it is a 'one time' buy and will be on your beading inventory for when you feel you have an idea to carry out.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Jan 19, 2012 8:13 PM

Erin,

I love your wavy strap!  When does your book come out?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 929
on Jan 19, 2012 9:36 PM

Thank you! My book submissions are due at the publisher's office by May 2012 with a time of 'the first quarter of 2013' to be on the book shelves. I can't wait! It excites me to think I can share more info publically.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,262
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Jan 20, 2012 6:14 PM

Erin,

Thank you for you honest reply. I guess I will have to just learn to handle all those ends. I joined you Facebook group when you first started it, but I wasn't ready to go forward at that time. I am mentally ready now, I just need to order a loom. 

Happy Beading!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Sandy@255 wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 8:28 PM

Sue, you'll love the group, and you'll find Erin's lessons are well-practiced and make a lot of sense. We're all in the group to help, and every single one of us was full of fear of those nasty warps for no good reason at all. Come join us. You'll have a really fun time while you're learning!!!  Sandy

Page 1 of 5 (63 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS