Bead Star 2012

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Dec 18, 2011 10:06 PM

So... congrats to all the winners!! the magazine looks great. Since it's available on download...can we blab now about winning? Or do we have to wait until the paper version comes out on the news stands?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,291
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Dec 19, 2011 9:35 AM

The LBS that I go to got it last week.  So it looks like the magazine has been released.

Happy Beading!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Dec 19, 2011 10:46 AM

Cool! I wonder why it takes so much longer to get to the supermarkets etc? The date for release was Dec. 27th.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,830
KipperCat wrote
on Dec 21, 2011 2:17 AM

A lot of magazines show up a week apart at various parts of the US.  It often came up on a cooking forum I followed awhile back.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 76
on Jan 15, 2012 9:30 PM

It looks like this year “ceramics” is a new category. I also caught what they said about it being published inside stringing magazine maybe they felt that seed beads lend them selves to bead weaving I like stringing them but maybe they had to many complicated entrees in the category. I was working on some pieces with seed beads but I wonder if seed beads could be submied under the glass category?   

I thought bead star looked great this year. I loved the bigger photos with the instructions and the category pages made it easier to find things.  It was also interesting that the honorable mentions did not have to do instructions I thought that was good because the thought that you would not win anything but still have to do the work was frustrating and almost made me not enter.

It will be interesting to see the new rules it seems they are trying to clarify what they are looking for. Maybe some of the decisions on the form were good feed back I think they should be as clear as they can be it helps when thinking about what to submit I entered in every category last year and the one piece I thought would not get in did! So I guess it is hard to tell what they are looking for.

I also noticed that the hearts category got cut this year I guess I will enter what I made in plastics, Because the heart is made of plastic.  I Can’t wait to see the new rules.

" the future belongs to those who belives in the beauty of their dreams"

Eleanor Roosevelt

"They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night." ~ Edgar Allan Poe

Not Ranked
Posts 14
mjanders wrote
on Feb 23, 2012 11:56 AM

I also caught that it doesn't seem like there will be a Bead Star magazine next year. And only first place winners get any prizes and get mentioned in Stringing magazine? That really limits the contest a lot, I think. I thought the magazine looked great and will be disappointed if one isn't published next year.

I got an honorable mention and like you said, it was kind of a relief not to have to do the instructions, although it wouldn't have been hard. I was told I would get my picture and a short bio in the mag, though, and in the end they did not do that either, which was sort of too bad I thought. It would have been nice to promote my work a little. But, it was still nice to see my name and piece in the magazine, of course.

I'm excited that ceramics were added as a category--there are so many great ceramic components out there. I didn't notice hearts were cut until you mentioned that, though, Magickal, and that's too bad! Some of the heart designs have been great. I was surprised seed beads were cut, too, although maybe they felt the beadweaving belonged in a different contest. ??

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 102
on Mar 20, 2012 2:14 PM

I'm curious whether you guys plan to submit designs this year, or whether you're considering passing this time because of the changes?

Not Ranked
Posts 19
on Mar 20, 2012 2:27 PM

I'm passing. I've got to much on my plate right now with custom lampwork orders, shows etc. I am not crazy about the changes, but I do think it will increase the odds for those who do enter. If I want to submit to Stringing I'll do it on my own.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS