Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
sixbeader wrote
on Dec 8, 2011 10:54 AM

Has anyone read these books?

Mastering Beadwork  Carol Huber Cypher

Shaped Beadwork  Diane Fitzgerald

Bead Riffs  Rachel Nelson Smith

If you have please tell me what you think of them, I'm trying to decide whether or not I want these for Christmas.

Thanks for the advice!

Rachel

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 8, 2011 11:40 AM

HI Rachel,

I do not have Mastering Beadwork but I do have Shaped Beadwork and Bead Riffs and they are both absolutely worth adding to your collection!

I have all of the Lark Books Beadweaving Master Class series and I love them all...the only one I haven't really gotten into yet is the Maggie Meister one...but I love her work, so I am not really sure why I don't love the book yet. But I haven't worked on any of the projects in it yet so that could be why!

However, all of the books in that series are excellent resources, and I have pre ordered the next two, Sabine Lippert's Beaded Fantasies and Japanese Beadwork with Sonoko Nozue. I cannot wait for those 2 to be released!

Each book in the series focuses on that artists unique style...some of them are specific to a certain stitch, like Marcia DeCoster's Beaded Opulence is all about RAW, Sherry Serafini's Sensational Bead Embroidery is all about embroidery etc...but each book is an intensive look into that artists specialty or design style.

And rather than being just another book of patterns, these books really teach you the fundamentals and the versatility of these seed bead stitches and techniques. They are sort of like an advanced version of a beginners book of beading stitches...but not in a way that they are too advanced for a beginner.

Anyways, before I go on forever about this, I will just say that I definitely recommend any of these to anyone who is serious about seed bead stitching! They are beautiful books with a wealth of information inside!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,947
SEllen 2 wrote
on Dec 8, 2011 12:58 PM

Hi Rachel,

I have the Mastering Beadwork by Carol Huber Cypher. It was the first book on weaving I ever ordered and it has been a great help.

It covers what I would call the basic off loom techniques. It gives you patterns with step by step instructions. I have found them to be easily followed. There are illistrations of bead paths, and they also give you variations of the stitch. The section on Peyote Stitch has flat even count  peyote, two drop, multidrop even count ,diagonal peyote, flat odd single needle, flat odd double needle, odd count tubular, even count tubular, articulated tubular, and circular peyote. That's just in the first chapter.

I would recommend this to anyone wanting to work in off loom stitches.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 8, 2011 1:23 PM

Rachel, I can recommend Mastering and Shaped books both. I have them. Mastering is sort of a "go to" book for me, and Shaped is when I am feeling ambitious and want to do something different. Bead Riffs......I don't have it and don't know of anyone who does, may be too new, but it does surprise me as our bead society is a pretty wide ranging group. Donna

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Dec 12, 2011 1:57 AM

I love Shaped Beadwork, and found the directions easy to follow for a somewhat experienced beader - i.e. more than a rank beginner, but not extremely accomplished either.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 71
sixbeader wrote
on Dec 12, 2011 1:07 PM

Thanks everyone, I don't have any doubts now.  Now I'll just have to see which ones I get!

Thanks again!

Rachel

Not Ranked
Posts 2
FXXSpeed wrote
on Nov 22, 2012 5:29 AM

I haven’t read them but I think I’ll check them out and let you now.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 62
bellepate wrote
on Nov 24, 2012 8:36 AM

I have all the Master series, and they're all very, very good books.  Some I like better than others, but they all have excellent tips and techniques.  I would suggest any serious beader eventually get them all.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,142
ForumModerator
Gyspy Mary wrote
on Nov 25, 2012 11:36 PM

I see this is an old post "someone breathed new life into it" Big Hugs and Thanks, I have to check out the books everyone listed and see if I have any of them(maybe most of them):}

I am beading more these days ..When I am not looking for a certain pattern:}

Gyspy Mary

Blessed are those who can Give, without remembering

and Take with out Forgetting

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 6:21 PM

Glad someone did that breathing! I've narrowed down the books I'd like to purchase, and C. Cyphers is on the top 3. Question for anyone who has it: Is it strictly beading? As wonderful as other peoples wire work is, I'm only interested in beading at this time. No desire to start investing 'again' in different tools needed. At least not yet.

Thanks for any input.

tcwhit

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,457
D.M.Z wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 9:15 PM

tcwhit, Mastering is a really good book. It is all beads, the most exotic thing is a shortish page or so on bead crochet near the back. When I first saw this book I thumbed through it and went "meh" and went on. As I became more conversant and experienced with bead work, I came to appreciate this book a lot more and did finally buy it. It is the type of thing where you reach for it for the answer to some lingering question you have. The sub-title is "a comprehensive guide to off-loom techniques" and that is it in a nutshell. Tons of pictures and diagrams with stitch directions. She covers a LOT in this book and she covers it very very well. Donna

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 515
tcwhit wrote
on Dec 29, 2012 11:21 PM

Donna-Thank you,

TC

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Arachne54 wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 5:07 AM

I got this book when it first came out but never did anything with it.  I was in my "Collect every beadwork book you can" phase and was more into collecting than doing.  LOL!  However, now I'm retired and have more time, I'm definitely going to revisit this.  Thanks for reminding me that it's in my stash.  Big Smile

Kate

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 37
momcat560 wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 9:37 AM

Rachel,

I have "Mastering Beadwork" and I love it!  Not familiar with the others, but  I do have two of Diane Fitzgerald's other books - "The Beaded Garden" and "Favorite Beading Projects."  I can strongly recommend Ms. Fitzgerald's books.

Check out Margie Deeb's website as well.  She has beautiful patterns and excellent books on color theory - written for the everyday beader.

Have fun in your search for knowledge!!  And Happy New Year to beaders everywhere!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Quinettakj wrote
on Jan 5, 2013 6:43 PM

This sounds like my doings .I've collected so many books and patterns that I could say I have my own library.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS