Calling All people that sell their jewellery!!

This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Nov 30, 2011 2:36 AM

I was wondering where do you buy your beads from? Are they good money? And do you buy in bulk / wholesale???

Thanks in advance

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 100
kadone wrote
on Nov 30, 2011 8:05 PM

I use several sources:

1) my local LBS

2) Fire Mountain Gems

3) Hobby Lobby(if I can't find exactly what I am looking for at the LBS or Fire Mountain)

I also raid thrift shops and antique shops for stuff that I can tear apart and repurpose. Yes, I buy in bulk and wholesale when I can. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Nov 30, 2011 10:33 PM

There are several on line shops that will sell wholesale if you sign up with them. Some you must have a wholesale liscense and others are more just bulk buy type but call themselves wholesalers, these you don't need a wholesale liscense for.

But since I don't have a local LBS I buy mainly from Fire Mountain Gems but I know their international shipping is high. I also use Artbeads, Aunties Beads. And for seed beads I've also used Bello Modo, they have the large quantity tubes. Each of these shops I've had good service with and the quality of beads was very good.

I have a few others that I buy odds & ends from. And a few on line lampwork artists that I buy from.

You didn't say what kind of beads you're looking for. You might be able to find some shops that specialize in one kind or another. I'd recommend doing an on line search and just browsing around.

I hope this was of some help.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 10:53 AM

Just bumping up to get new spammer of top of page.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Dec 3, 2011 3:23 PM

Thank you ev eryone for your valuable and helpful information. Sorry i couldnt reply for a couple of days as I have broken my arm. 

Fire mountain gems is my favorite beading store at the moment as well, my local beading store if very small. I am trying to order in bulk so i have plenty if business and it seems that fire mountain gems is the best for that :) Thanks everyone

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,954
SEllen 2 wrote
on Dec 5, 2011 11:19 AM

Sorry to hear about your broken arm.

Hope you heal quickly & well.

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
haole wrote
on Dec 13, 2011 1:20 AM

hi i'm new to all of this forums stuff but please here me out.

a few weeks ago i started making earrings with my daughter as a way to raise funds for her washington dc field trip. i had so much fun making them that now i'm in the same boat as you. my local bead store has some good beads. but like you i found fire mountain gems. i have made a big list of items but with christmas money is a little low. one day last week i came across a you tube video of a web site called jetbeads.com. i have not ordered from him (money is low). but you can order from him at the 200+ price range that fire mountain gems show on their web site. might want to check that out, i know i will in jan.

stacy

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 5:06 PM

Thank you stacy, It is wonderful that you have gotten into beading with your daughter! It is a wonderful hobbie. I will definatly check that place out, thank you so much for helping me. I was thinking about buying beads directly from mayuki and all the other places if that is possible. like skip the middle person... see if it is cheaper, although i dont know how I will find mayuki as they dont seem to have a website.

Thanks again for your help... *goes to check site*

Cassie

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 5:54 PM

Cassandra,

There are a lot of options out there for buying at discounted retail prices, but to buy at real Wholesale Prices, you have to have a Wholesale License and you need sources...most shops and wholesale buyers don't willingly share their sources with just anyone...so this can be a long process to get a hold of some real Wholesale Suppliers.

But if you have a license and start signing up for the big shows, you can start meeting people and making those contacts. Eventually you will build up a good list of sources!

Miyuki does have a website but they only sell to major distributors. They don't sell to individuals...and they don't even sell to many retailers...only the really big importers and several retail stores like Caravan who carry only Miyuki products.

Toho also has a website and functions pretty much the same as Miyuki...most manufacturers will not sell directly to individuals and retailers...they deal with the large importers and exclusive suppliers. But I think they have retail stores in Japan where they sell to the public!

If you are looking specifically for Delicas, FMG has the best retail price per gram (unless you are buying large factory packs)...and the price point gets better with the more items you buy. But they do not have the full line of colors...so you have to supplement from other stores as well. And as much as I love to support my LBS, I just cannot afford their prices on Delicas.

And Jet Bead, the site that Stacy recommended is basically a site that works like a large group order from FMG. They have it set up so that they process your order from FMG and they give you the next highest discount price. They don't charge a fee for this because they process so many large orders from FMG that they are getting an even larger discount than the 200 item price point that FMG offers.

So it is a good deal. If you are in the 50 to 200 item range, and you order through Jet Beads, they will give you the 200 Plus item price.

For other Miyuki or Toho seed beads there are several sources that offer good prices for these. It also depends on the quantity you are looking to buy.

If you are looking to buy by the 28 gram tube, or by the 1/4 kilo or 1/2 kilo Charlene's Beads is a good place for that. She carries mostly Miyuki but also Toho and Matsuno...and they are all marked which one is which.

Bobby Bead carries mainly Toho products and has the full line of their seed beads including Rounds from 15/0 to 6/0, Cubes, Triangles, Treasures and Aikos. Their retail prices are quite high in my opinion but if you have a wholesale license they also have a wholesale page where you can buy in 100 gram bags up to 1/2 kilo bags.

Then there also sites like Bello Modo who have decent retail prices on their Toho seed beads and I think they come in 28 gram tubes...and they also carry Delicas but I think they are kind of high priced for Delicas. But they also have sales and bulk buy discounts. It's good to get on these store's mailing lists for sales and coupons!

Blue Mud carries 16 gram bags and 500 gram bulk packs of Delicas but they also don't have the full color line. But they offer discounts on a scale of how much you spend...I think it is 10 percent off $50, 20 percent off $100 and 25 percent off $500 orders. They also carry a large selection of Swarovski for pretty good prices and even have Factory Packs.

Basically there are a lot of options out there...but you have to do the research! I am constantly comparing prices, quality, customer service, shipping policies and everything else! It's almost a full time job when it comes time to order beads and supplies! But this should give you a good start on some suppliers!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 6:02 PM

Cassandra,

There are a lot of options out there for buying at discounted retail prices, but to buy at real Wholesale Prices, you have to have a Wholesale License and you need sources...most shops and wholesale buyers don't willingly share their sources with just anyone...so this can be a long process to get a hold of some real Wholesale Suppliers.

But if you have a license and start signing up for the big shows, you can start meeting people and making those contacts. Eventually you will build up a good list of sources!

Miyuki does have a website but they only sell to major distributors. They don't sell to individuals...and they don't even sell to many retailers...only the really big importers and several retail stores like Caravan who carry only Miyuki products.

Toho also has a website and functions pretty much the same as Miyuki...most manufacturers will not sell directly to individuals and retailers...they deal with the large importers and exclusive suppliers. But I think they have retail stores in Japan where they sell to the public!

If you are looking specifically for Delicas, FMG has the best retail price per gram (unless you are buying large factory packs)...and the price point gets better with the more items you buy. But they do not have the full line of colors...so you have to supplement from other stores as well. And as much as I love to support my LBS, I just cannot afford their prices on Delicas.

And Jet Bead, the site that Stacy recommended is basically a site that works like a large group order from FMG. They have it set up so that they process your order from FMG and they give you the next highest discount price. They don't charge a fee for this because they process so many large orders from FMG that they are getting an even larger discount than the 200 item price point that FMG offers.

So it is a good deal. If you are in the 50 to 200 item range, and you order through Jet Beads, they will give you the 200 Plus item price.

For other Miyuki or Toho seed beads there are several sources that offer good prices for these. It also depends on the quantity you are looking to buy.

If you are looking to buy by the 28 gram tube, or by the 1/4 kilo or 1/2 kilo Charlene's Beads is a good place for that. She carries mostly Miyuki but also Toho and Matsuno...and they are all marked which one is which.

Bobby Bead carries mainly Toho products and has the full line of their seed beads including Rounds from 15/0 to 6/0, Cubes, Triangles, Treasures and Aikos. Their retail prices are quite high in my opinion but if you have a wholesale license they also have a wholesale page where you can buy in 100 gram bags up to 1/2 kilo bags.

Then there also sites like Bello Modo who have decent retail prices on their Toho seed beads and I think they come in 28 gram tubes...and they also carry Delicas but I think they are kind of high priced for Delicas. But they also have sales and bulk buy discounts. It's good to get on these store's mailing lists for sales and coupons!

Blue Mud carries 16 gram bags and 500 gram bulk packs of Delicas but they also don't have the full color line. But they offer discounts on a scale of how much you spend...I think it is 10 percent off $50, 20 percent off $100 and 25 percent off $500 orders. They also carry a large selection of Swarovski for pretty good prices and even have Factory Packs.

Basically there are a lot of options out there...but you have to do the research! I am constantly comparing prices, quality, customer service, shipping policies and everything else! It's almost a full time job when it comes time to order beads and supplies! But this should give you a good start on some suppliers!

Post Script: this is my 3rd attempt to post this reply...and then I posted it in the wrong thread! Haha! Sorry about that!

*I would have supplied links to all of these websites for you but since they are now moderating the forum, it won't let me post anything with a link in it...even though I have well over 400 posts and have been a member of this forum for almost a year. There should be a better way to moderate this forum. Like maybe moderate the new members posts before they are allowed to post to make sure they are not a spammer, rather than moderate the posts of members that participate in the forum discussions on a daily basis!*

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Cassandra715 wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 8:30 PM

Wow! thank you so much for all the information Tia. By a wholesalers licence, do you mean an ABN? like a business number? I do have one of those which lets me access most wholesale lots. I just thought it would be cheaper if I knock out the middle store lol. Thank you for sharing the stores, I shall have to go check them all out. If you are a jewelry sales person what do you find the best amount to buy at a time, do you like to buy bulk of delicas and seed beads? or minimum? At the moment I am finding that I run out of seed beads too quick for my liking.

Thank you again, I am so greatful for your help.

Cassie

Not Ranked
Posts 2
haole wrote
on Dec 15, 2011 11:32 PM

thank you for taking the time to read it

stacy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 16, 2011 2:30 AM

Cassie I guess for me it depends on the beads...I have a good sized stash that includes lots of colors shapes and sizes of Seed Beads and Delicas as well as Crystals and Fire Polish beads...

When I buy seed beads, I usually just buy them by the 28 gram tube and sometimes a few tubes at a time depending on the color. But if it's a color that I use all the time, like Dark Bronze, Silver, and Black, I buy those by the 1/4 kilo which is 250 grams.

And I also like to have a large variety of colors in size 15/0 so a lot of the time I will just go for variety and buy a lot of 10 gram tubes of them. 10 grams of those tiny beads go a long way, especially in accent colors that I don't use all the time...

With Delicas I usually like to have around 25 grams of the colors I use most, and the rest of them I tend to purchase as I need them for a pattern...and I always buy an extra tube than what I think I need for a project. Mainly this is because of dye lots...you never know if the next tube you buy will be the exact same color...and also because I never really know exactly how many beads I will need for a project and it's better to have too many than not enough!

Crystals I usually buy by the gross (144) but if I could afford it I would just buy factory packs! I guess we all would right? But if it's the first time I am buying a color...then I just buy the smaller 48 pack to play around with and see how I like the color.

With Czech Fire Polish and Pressed Glass beads it again depends on the color. I buy Bronze, Hematite and Black Daggers, Lentils, 3mm Druks and Fire Polish rounds in bulk...between 300 and 1200 pieces at a time...but I use those a lot! The rest of them I usually just buy by the 8" or 16" strand.

And with Sterling Silver wire and all my other findings, I guess I buy those when I find good sales and I stock up! I don't use a lot of metal in my beadwork but it's always good to have some chain, jumprings, head and eye pins, clasps and wire on hand!

So that's my purchasing strategy...haha! Really I just love to buy beads! The more the better! But in the beginning I worked on building up a stash with a lot of variety and as I figured out what I used more than others, I would start stocking up on those...it takes a while to figure out what works for you! But it's good to have some kind of plan so you don't waste a lot of money buying stuff you will never use!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 781
Tia Dalma wrote
on Dec 16, 2011 2:33 AM

Oops, forgot about the License question. Usually if you are registed with your City and State as a busines that Business License Number is your Wholesale ID number...it might depend on the type of business license you have though...I am not sure about this!

I used to own a retail store, so I was registered as a Retail Store and my Business License Number is what I used when applying for wholesale access or registering for trade shows etc!

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Tewei wrote
on Dec 24, 2011 6:15 PM

The license should only be around $7 a year or something. Its totally worth it if you plan on selling your jewelry as a business. Its only useful if you have gem shows, bead shows, wholesalers around you though. 

Each wholesaler has different policies. Such as some will just have a flat wholesale price or others will give you a price quote depending on your volume. I think the second way is a bit shady though.

Anyways if jetbeads is legit. it is a very good deal. FMG has a lot of selection at good prices for designers.   

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS