Help! Bead Loom

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 72
tiger@4 wrote
on Oct 27, 2011 2:54 PM

I have just started my first bead loom item. It is a bookmark for my niece. I do not want to put a backing on it as the loom instructions said to do when finish it. So I tried to weave in the ends, but mu needle got stuck and as i pulled it out a bead feel off. as I tried to mead it, beads on the other side fell of. I want to know how to take the item of the loom and how to finish it off with out having to sew the item onto a piece of felt or leather ect. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 28, 2011 1:56 PM

Tiger,

You have discovered why many beadweavers do square stitch (aka loom without a loom beadweaving).

Square stitch is more secure than loom work and holds up better over time. If a thread or a bead breaks in loom work, you can have a major challenge to mend it. If you have a thread or bead break in square stitch, you don't have more than a couple of beads lost.

The added advantage to doing square stitch is that you don't have all those extra thread ends to deal with and you can choose whether or not to put a backing on your piece.

Loom beading IS easier than square stitch. But, when you have to deal with those pesky end threads, the ease of loom work is cancelled out by the frustration of weaving those threads back in.

Back to loom work - you have to be sure that your needle goes through the beads correctly every pass and doesn't split threads as it goes through, which should keep the piece from falling apart. To avoid putting the bookmark on felt or leather, you will need to weave in the ends of each thread to secure them and the beads. On the other hand, you can also turn those threads - after securing them - into a tail or tassel on each end of the bookmark. You could tie matching beads on the ends of each thread for a decorative fringe.

Good luck!

Deb - who rarely does loom work, now that she's learned square stitch.

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 72
tiger@4 wrote
on Oct 28, 2011 2:57 PM

Deb

Thank you for tips and advice.

I have used square stitch in the past and to be honest, I do not like working it much (think it may be the time it takes me to make things with it that dose it). I like the look of the loom work that I have done as it makes the work bigger than doing it in square stitch. I think that some kinder of tail or tassel will work.

Thank you again for your help.

Tiger

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Oct 28, 2011 3:12 PM

Tiger,

I hear ya about how long it takes to work something in square stitch - square stitch isn't one of those things you can complete a project in a couple of hours. Loom work's got it beat six ways from Sunday in that department.

One of my first loomed pieces was a hat band. I just put it on the hat, tied all the ends together and ran them through a crow bead and tied them together again, because I really didn't feel like spending the time weaving all those ends back into the work.

Good Luck!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 914
on Nov 5, 2011 3:05 PM

Oh, my just found this and have to reply!!!!

Looming is wonderful and in no way not as strong as doing a square stitch. There are types of threads that can be used for the warps and different ones, at the same time, to use for the weft. Finishing techniques have evolved into making bead looming a newly revived bead weaving technique.... Big Smile (doing all I can, I might add!).

I was glad to see some interaction here about bead looming!! Wink

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 5:17 PM

beadsbeadingbeaded:

Oh, my just found this and have to reply!!!!

Looming is wonderful and in no way not as strong as doing a square stitch. There are types of threads that can be used for the warps and different ones, at the same time, to use for the weft. Finishing techniques have evolved into making bead looming a newly revived bead weaving technique.... Big Smile (doing all I can, I might add!).

If you are interested in learning more, you can either read my Blog or you can even click a request to join my Bead Looming Group on Facebook. We are a closed Group, so you do have to request to join, then reply to the letter that is sent. I hope to see you there. I do have a way to help you finish off the book mark with out any reweaving (I hate that word), no backing, no glue and no tape!!! My book, presently being written and due to be published the end of 2012, will share the same info.

I was glad to see some interaction here about bead looming!! Wink

Erin,

I'm sorry if my comment was misinterpreted. I didn't mean to imply that looming wasn't as STRONG as square stitch. (As with any bead work, the piece is as strong as the thread used.) I just meant that IF a thread does break, it's usually easier to fix, with less beads lost, in square stitch.

I personally think looming is much easier than square stitch, except for those dang ends. I'll definitely keep an eye out for your book to help me solve that dilemma. Who is publishing your book? 2012 is almost here!

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 914
on Nov 5, 2011 5:24 PM

Hi Deb, absolutely no malice taken in your statement.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Nov 5, 2011 6:06 PM

beadsbeadingbeaded:

Hi Deb, absolutely no malice taken in your statement. I am reinventing the looming wheel, as they say, every day! Again, lol, let me add that looming is easy to repair as well. I think this book is more needed than even the Publisher, Creanon, knows!!! Wink

You should consider picking up your loom again sometime!

Erin,

I will "someday" - there aren't enough hours in the day for me to do everything I *have* to do, much less, what I *want* to do! <LOL>

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS