Odd or Even Peyote - how do I decide?

This post has 6 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
BlueGull wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 2:10 PM

I'm a baby beader, but want to jump in the deep end. I have some patterns I want to try (may get smart and try them in needlepoint first...), but don't know why I would choose one style of peyote over the other. Do you have a favorite book or crafter I should follow (image: puppy with tongue hanging out) who has answers to these kinds of practical questions?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 77
absynith wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 3:08 PM

I am still pretty new myself but I have learned so much from youtube.  Check out:  TSummerlee's Channel and Off The Beaded Path and of course Auntie's Beads.  That is where I got started and a great way to learn stitches.  Hope this helps!

Marla

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 360
Beading_Sue wrote
on Oct 22, 2011 5:09 PM

If you have never done peyote stitch before, I would practice even count peyote first as it is pretty straight forward once you get the hang of it.  You start with an even number of beads on your thread, pick up a bead, skip the last bead and pass through the next; pick up a bead, skip a bead, go through the next.  Repeat until the end of the row.  With odd count peyote, you have the extra bead at the end of the row, and you have to figure out how to fasten it.  There seems to be as many different methods of doing this as there are experts.  Auntie's Beads has free odd count peyote and even count videos. I also recommend Mastering Beadwork by Carol Cypher; it's my go-to book for beadweaving stitches.

What type of project will you be doing with the patterns? The first question is what are you making and what type of peyote stitch works up best for the project. An example would be a amulet bag.  I have seen patterns using flat peyote stitch as well as one using tubular peyote. If you decide you want a flat piece, there is no visible difference in the finished project between odd and even. It would depend on what size beads you're using and the pattern size as to whether you use odd or even.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 565
Beadiecat wrote
on Oct 23, 2011 3:46 AM

When I was starting, one of the first pages I went to was Ruby's Beadwork.  She has some pretty good tutorials on there.

Cat

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 102
on Oct 23, 2011 10:08 AM

Echo Beading_Sue!  Definitely begin with even-count, for the practice and to learn how to control the thread tension. Odd-count peyote, which allows you to center motifs, should come next. :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
BlueGull wrote
on Oct 23, 2011 8:34 PM

Thanks, that's a good thing to be conscious of: odd allows centering of a motif. Most of my ideas are larger patterns, so the centering may not be so critical (working with thirds, etc.) but that is a real issue - centering and symmetry ....

Thanks, guys, lots of good ideas!  -  BlueGull

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 182
lasexybuda wrote
on Oct 24, 2011 10:46 PM

BlueGull

Go to FusionBeads.com, in there you can find very easy the different between even and odd peyote

and others techniques of beading. (In  Beading Techniques)

Irene from the enchanted Island

Irene from the enchanted Island

Happy beading!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS