Is it possible to solder copper jump rings?

This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
tinytwist wrote
on Oct 5, 2011 12:38 PM

Hello everyone! 

I love to work with copper wire, and I have read about how other metals can be soldered to make closed links, but I have never seen anything mentioned about making closed links with copper. At this point I can only make wrapped links. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to use solder with copper, and what type of solder to use? I have heard that copper heats very quickly, would it be possible to meld the links closed? Confused 

Thanks for any info that can be provided! 

God closes doors no man can open, and God opens doors no man can close.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 27
tinytwist wrote
on Oct 10, 2011 9:24 AM

Big Smile

Happy, happy, joy, joy -- I have found exactly what I was looking for, a solder to use just for copper!

Here is the link if there is anyone else who has been looking for this:

http://www.rawtreasures.com/detail.asp?product_id=WCOPSDRE

God closes doors no man can open, and God opens doors no man can close.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Nov 10, 2011 1:28 PM

Good to know, tiny.  I bought myself a tiny soldering iron, but have yet to get the courage to use it.  Maybe with adult supervision (DH) and this info, I can try.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 250
MarieG10 wrote
on Nov 28, 2011 11:17 AM

I cracked up at the "with adult supervision".  I LOVE wire and metal work, but not real fond of fire and hot stuff.  I got a bead making kit last Christmas and am stillllll lerry of the big tanks of gas and such, but love making the beads.  Got a micro torch and LOVE it.  It's a small butane torch (fits in my hand) and I feel like I have good control of it, but it doesn't get hot enough for work with sterling.  (REALLY LOOKS HOT ENOUGH FOR ABOUT ANYTHING TO ME)   :-)    BUT, sweet hubby saw my love of metal work at a recent show and bought me a real torch with Mapp gas and oxygen  and a tiny hand held FLAME THROWER, I mean nozzle, tanks and and and OH MYYY.  Now, I'm on the web looking for sterling solder and flux, and pickle and, and, and...  trying to get my nerve up to use the big girl torch.  Hubby thinks it's funny since he welds and my little setup is nothing in comparision.  But I really feel like I need adult supervision FOREVER to use it. So glad to know that I'm not the only one :-)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 274
Paka wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 1:30 AM

Ah, Marie, you are already one of the Big Kids!  How nice of your DH to help you get set up for metal.  Too bad about the laughing, tho.  Wink

I haven't had the nerve to even plug in the little soldering iron yet, but I now have some flux (I think) and am starting to look around for something to use it on.  In the meantime, I have had the pleasure of startling my own DH by offering him one of my copper washers for some repair or other.  Using "solder" and "copper" in the same paragraph is about as close as I am going to come to actually doing anything anytime soon.  I might hammer a little, tho.  Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Jayshelley wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 4:16 AM

Hi tinytwist, the answer is yes.  I use copper in some of  my work and I use easy silver solder for my copper work.  One thing with copper soldering is everything must be squeaky clean.  Hope this helps, Janine 

Not Ranked
Posts 5
seeteshsnv wrote
on May 18, 2012 12:50 AM

It's hard to find soldered copper jump ring because copper solder is gray.not copper colored.This gray solder has been copper plated to mask the gray color. Soldering is a means of permanently attaching  two metals by heating the metal pieces and melting a solder material that permanently fuses the metal pieces together.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 33
Summer152 wrote
on Apr 13, 2013 1:43 AM

Thanks for your sharing. I got it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 634
shanks wrote
on Jun 8, 2013 12:14 PM

Tip:  double over some 400 grit sandpaper, slide it a couple of times in the slot of the jump ring. Very carefully apply some solder paste in the slot. Holding the soldering iron on the inside of the ring, when hot, touch the outside of the ring with the solder. The solder will jump down, filling the gap and will leave very little solder on the outside of the ring. I like to use solder for electronics, Radio Shack comes to mind.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Jan 29, 2014 1:43 AM

yes it is possible to sell copper made jewelry. You can find a huge number of buyers in your area.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 634
shanks wrote
on Jan 29, 2014 10:14 PM

Hi  myriam,

I think you missed the key word in the question      soldered    Big Smile   

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS