Just wondering

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,259
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 10:02 AM

I was just wondering, how many of the charter members are still coming here daily?  I have notice a huge decline since the problem BD had with all the spam. I really hate to say it, but I think we have lost a majority of the original members. Jeni, Billy, Pam, and Darma, just to list a few.  Even Cat from Ohio is seldom seen here anymore. Hey, guys come back or tell me where you have gone. I miss you all.

Does anyone know where they have gone? They always had such good information to share. I don't believe they have just lost interest in Beading and jewelry making, I think they lost interest in BD. I also am looking for new venue to hang out at. I just miss the great friends I made here. 

Happy Beading!!!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,951
SEllen 2 wrote
on Sep 28, 2011 11:40 AM

Sue

I can't answer for them but I know that the last I heard of Billy was he was still in a great deal of pain and just not feeling up to getting on line. Pam was on crutches recovering from her knee surgery. I check into their etsy every so often and see that they are still checking in there. So, I pray they are doing well.

As for Jeni if I'm not mistaken when her DH retired from the military and moved back to the U.S. she got a full time job and wasn't able to get on line often.

As for Cat I read her blog and I know she is still works from home as well as making jewelry for both an Artfire shop, and an Etsy shop. She's doing more metal smithing lately and getting very good at it too.

I'm sorry to hear that you too are considering leaving. Sad You and the others were the reasons that I enjoyed this site so much. You've always been very helpful & inspirational. I hope you will reconsider and stay around. You would be sorely missed.

I think it is more life moving on than leaving because of SPAMMERS. ( Even though they are really annoying buggers. Angry )

sellen Smile

southwest Texas USA

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 520
on Sep 29, 2011 11:28 AM

I've been wonder that for awhile too Sue. I miss all the ones that used to be. I don't spend as much time here as I used to (trying to focus more on actually making things instead of spending all my time reading how to) but I do try to check in at least a couple of times a week. I value so much the knowledge I have gained from the helpful people here and I wish the "missing"  would come and visit more frequently. It seems like there are more and more young people/new beaders hanging out here, which is great, but we all still need more people with more experience to share all that beady knowledge.

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 4:26 PM

I have just thinking the same thing Sue! Lody, Cat, Mary, Lois and Christina I see post occasionally. I was wondering how Billy and Pam have been as well. Jsmaz, Lina, kokopelli, Stan (crystalCubeBead), Inca, Kelly (lyilha), SheilaH. Where is all the old BD gang?

I am not sure it's so much the spam that made them leave so much as there is a time for everything and a season for each activity, ya know what I mean. I do think that there needs to be a transfer of moderators for people who are currently active on the boards to cut down on some of the spam though.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Not Ranked
Posts 5
CarolineB@18 wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 5:39 PM

i used to get the Beading Daily e-mails every day, but for over a year now, they have not been coming anymore.  I didn't do anything to take myself off the mailing list, and have tried two or three times tyo re-enlist here, but I still don't get them.  I'm on AOL, if that makes any difference.  I just don't think to actually come to the website as I have so many other things going on in my life and so little time to read, bead or do anything else that I'd likle to anymore.  This time I came here from Facebook.

Caroline

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,335
DebWAZ wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 6:00 PM

Sue,

I've "talked" to Jeni (she's got a REAL job and a kidlet to raise) and SheilaH (Sheila said that BD doesn't "feel" the same) recently - part of it is that "real life" is kind of getting in the way of beading. Another big reason is the spamming and there is still some advertising that is sneaking in. 

I know that Cat and CoolMoon post on Facebook fairly often. Jeni and Pam also, but not as frequently.

I know that I haven't been posting as frequently as in the past and part of it is trying to keep the store afloat during our extremely slow summer season. Another reason is the spam. AND to tell the truth, a really big reason for me is the advertising that is going on - people posting as if asking or answering questions, but recommending a business that turns out to be THEIR business. I've tried to abide by the rules - would love to share all the new goodies I've gotten in stock and my big SALE (y'all know I never do sales, so any sale I do is a "big" one for me LOL), but I respect the rules. It really gets under my skin to see one site or other recommended, when I know I have the item and at a better price. I was browsing in Michael's the other day for the first time in years and checked out their Chinese crystal - I had to leave because I was laughing so hard at the price they are charging ON SALE and people think it's a good deal!

Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Deb

Deb

azbeaddepot.blogspot.com

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 780
Tia Dalma wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 6:46 PM

I have only been a member here for less than a year but even I notice the disappearance of many long time and very valued members of this forum! Even you guys, Sue and Deb don't post here nearly as often as when I first joined in Jan or Feb!

And I completely understand the ebb and flow of our daily lives and sometimes we all have other things like work, money, children, spouses, family etc that has to come first, but there has definitely been a sort of exodus of long time members here lately!

But I also agree with Deb and Sue about the spammers...there are not just the blatant spammers, who we see every few weeks that come in and blast us with 10 or 100 spam posts in 20 minutes time! (and lately those posts have taken a lot longer to get noticed and deleted, if they even are being deleted).

But the spammers who drive me crazier than the blasters are the ones who infiltrate the conversations and try to act as if they are really here to be a part of the forum, but their real objective is to post as often as possible to get the links to their websites out there as much as possible! It's fairly obvious when you actually read their posts that these people are just advertising their websites!

These are the spammers who are impossible to get rid of and they really do take away from the experience! It's like having a stranger sit down at your table in a restaurant and try to sell you something!

It would be so awesome to have someone that might be willing to actually delete and block these types of spammers...if we do it often enough they might finally go away. Or to have a stricter screening policy for being allowed to post in the forums in the first place. But this has all been discussed before, to no end. All we can do is follow the rules with respect for each other and ignore those who do not!

I would love to see the regular long time members join in again though! I know these things are cyclical and sometimes people just move on...but especially with the condition of the B&B forum these days since their big "upgrade"...it would be nice to keep this one alive and kicking! Forums seem to be dropping like flies these days...which is strange considering this is the age of the Internet!

So, I will join Sellen, Ruth and Evenstar Designs in saying: Sue and Deb and everyone else who is still around but not posting as often, or who might be thinking of leaving altogether...Please don't go! All of your help and advice that you share is priceless...and your friendly conversation would be missed by many!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,825
KipperCat wrote
on Sep 29, 2011 11:20 PM

Yes, I miss a lot of folks around here also.  I remember that Lina got super busy at work, but haven't heard from her in months.

When I first came here, I thought that one thing that helped this forum was that there were plenty of moderators, who kept things moving - and policed SPAM.  Is Sue the only active one left?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 6:03 AM

KipperCat I don't think that Sue was ever a mod, but I know that SheilaH, Jsmaz, and Lina are still tagged as Moderators if you look at their profiles. This is why I am saying that they need to be transfered to someone who is currently active.

Tia have you thought about it at all? I know you are very active and follow all the rules, so I think that you would make a good Moderator. I have been here since 2009, but unfortunately I have only posted sparingly since that time and don't check the boards as often I used to, so I know I wouldn't be a great fit for someone who is always around to check daily. 

Whoever said it doesn't feel the same is right on.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,486
Lody wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 8:23 AM

I miss a lot of the old timers too!

In my case, I'm lucky if I can peek in here once or twice in a week... though I try to check whenever I can. Dang real life get in the way. LOL Up to now, we're not done cleaning our lawn yet after the horrible storm that damaged our house.:(

I see new faces and I'm glad that more beaders still join, but yeah those spammers are freakin' annoyingggggggggggggggg!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,259
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 30, 2011 10:13 AM

Your right Ruth I am not nor have I ever been a Moderator.

I think what really needs to be done, as far as the spam goes, is for someone at BD to get proactive in removing the spam offenders. I report them as often as I see them, But to tell you the truth I no longer read every single thread, Some things just are not of interest to me, so I skip over it.

I am sure that for me to catch up on all I have skipped, would take me a  good week of reading, and I haven't that amount of time right now. With craft shows coming up fast, I have lots to make and get ready to sell.

I am doing a small open house craft type show. My son's step daughter is having it. She has several different types of sales going on in one party setting. There will be someone there selling Avon, Herbal Life, Tupperware, and Candle Lite, besides myself with Sea-Glass Jewelry.

Yes, I make jewelry using real sea glass. Not the stuff someone cuts and puts in a tumbler. My husband and I have spent hours on end combing all the beaches that we can get to in a few hours drive. I live very close to Lake Erie and we have even gotten glass from the shores of Lake Superior. I often drive all the way to Cleveland and stopping to pick up glass on any public beach I can find. We often will get to the beach early in the day and spend 5 to six hours, bending over to pick up glass pieces. I recently found a beautiful piece of ruby red. I have also found some deep purple, and black glass. I have one special place I go that is pretty much unused and I refuse to give out any details on this beach. I used to go to Sterling State Park on Monroe MI, but that beach is so used you can not find anything there anymore. I told my hubby the last time we were there, that beach combing here was like combing a hairless dog. It just a waste of time. The last time there, I found one useable piece of glass. Sad

Sorry I sort of got off subject here. It was all about losing our charter members. I'll try and stay on track better next time.

Happy Beading!

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,025
Editor
on Oct 10, 2011 10:31 AM

I'm just seeing this thread now, so I'd just like to say that if the folks that used to be moderators are no longer active on the site, we can certainly choose some new moderators to deal with the spam. There is quite a lot of it lately, and quite honestly, it's not something that I can stay on top of every single day.

Since I joined these forums back in 2007, I've seen many active users come and go. It's true, life does get in the way sometimes, as it certainly did with me for a while. (Getting married, opening up a bead shop, finding a job, having a baby, etc.) I hope you don't feel like you're being abandoned or ignored, because there will always be an influx of new beaders who are discovering our wonderful forums and finding out about all the resources available on the Beading Daily site.

If anyone else is interested in becoming a moderator, please send me an email and I'll get you started!

"Yesterday is history.  Tomorrow is a mystery.  But today is a gift.  That's why it is called the present." -Kung Fu Panda

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS