Spammers are taking over again

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 526
on Sep 15, 2011 11:36 PM

Am I the only one that feels ignored when request after request is made to find a way to reduce/get rid of spammers. I'm member of many different creative forums and amazingly enough NONE OF THEM have spammers getting through. Why is it that the beading forums can't manage to keep it under control?

http://creativeeclectica.blogspot.com

Not Ranked
Posts 18
on Sep 16, 2011 12:05 AM

Personally, I don't think there are enough Moderators to keep an eye on it and delete them. There has to be an internal error of some computer sort *I am SO NOT PC literate* , that allows all these spams. I will say that I have seen alot over the past 2 days.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 7:00 AM

I am not so sure of the past as I am relatively new here, but of late I noticed spammers in the forums quite frequently.  I was disgusted with some of them. I do not know whether it is to be deleted manually by moderators through screening or automatically by software.  However, I strongly agree that something need to be done to keep it under control.

Let's strive to keep the site clean.

Peggy

http://pq-beaddreamer.blogspot.com

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 212
Trishie33 wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 8:10 AM

Yeah, I reported one just now.    I even want to post an answer to the spam post. Something like:

"This post is not jewelry-making related.  This is a jewelry making forum. Posts unrelated to the subject are frowned upon and ultimately ignored so it is not beneficial for you to post here.  Please respect that.  Unrelated posts are rigorously reported and removed."

If we stay diligent and keep sending them in, maybe it will deter them.

@quekpeggy:  Your little ducky avatar looks like she's on the spam patrol.  LOL!

Lock up your supplies! No bead is safe from my needles! Stick out tongue

Shop

Blog

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 8:15 AM

I think that a lot of the people who used to be moderators aren't visiting the board anymore, at least from what I have seen. I understand that it is a volunteer position. If anyone feels like they would like to please feel free to shoot an email to Jennifer if you are interested. I am sure should would be more than happy to have someone who is actually present moderating the boards.

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 411
Memoosim wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 9:00 AM

I was never a moderator.  But, quite a few of them were my friends.  They did the best they could "alone" to try to stop the spammers.  This board is not moderated from within....  hence most of us drifted off to other pastures. 

Cherie

Dance.  Even if you're the only one who hears the music. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 28
Danielle wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 9:14 AM

I want to thank everyone for their diligence in keeping spam out of Beading Daily. We are doing our best behind the scenes to prevent these posts, but do rely on you all to alert us to new spammers. The double opt-in process helps to keep a lot of spam out, but there are some who still sneak through.

Moderators have access to delete individual posts, while Jen and other Interweave employees have access to actually delete members, change their settings or hide their posts. We are looking into other options to keep spam at a minimum, and thank you so much for helping us in the interim.

Thanks again everyone! We couldn't do it without you.

Danielle

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,307
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Sep 16, 2011 6:55 PM

Thank you very much for your reply to the forum. I have been here for a very long time, and it has just been a problem within the last year. It was like all of a sudden the bees started swarming, I have noticed some relief, from a lot of it in the last couple of months, but it seems, that they are starting to swarm again.

Hate spammers they take up space here, that could be put to better use by helping a new beader understand a stitch, or helping someone find a needed element.

I am afraid that some have left the forums because of the spamming, and others may still follow. It is nice to know that you behind the scenes, are trying as hard as you can to find a solution to the problem.

Happy Beading

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS