Dragonfly's Dragonfly

This post has 20 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 16, 2008 10:03 PM

Does this look familar to anyone? Big Smile

http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m51/Alastar_Dragonfly/Dragonflys_Dragonfly.jpg 

Opinions anyone?

Billy ;o)

I yam wut I yam and dats all wut I yam. ~Popeye~

Dragonfly Jewelry Designs - ArtFire Artisan Studio

wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 12:30 AM

Hey, you got some ink-awesome!  Can't think of anything better for you to get.Big Smile

I'd love to get some more, but my artist friend is a day's drive from here so we'd have to plan a visit either for her to come here or us there.  Hubby has gotten the bulk of the ink the past couple of years.  With having kidlet and nursing I figured I should wait a bit, but I'm itching to get something new now that's finished.  I'm not covered with tatts or anything, but it is addictive once you get started.  The problem is getting what you want but placing it where you can cover it up if need be.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,336
ForumModerator
SCB1 wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 6:22 AM

Way too cool Billy. Now I think I have really dated myself by using "cool". It looks sore though; is it?

My grandson just got a tattoo also. He got his zodiac sign which is a Vergo I believe. It isn't too big and it is where he can cover it with a short sleeve. Being young and not in the work force yet we both agreed  it was best to get one he could coverup easily. He starts trade school in 3 weeks. Big Smile He will be staying at school almost 3 hours away. Grandma and grandpa will have an empty nest once again. I better not say that too loud. There are other grandkids that might hear. LOLConfused

Happy Beading!!

Sue,

Small-town USA. 

Michigan.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 7:39 AM

If you can't tell it's the positive image of my avatar. *grinz* Why not?

Thanks guys. I'm glad that i am not the only one that likes it. My wife was like, "Um, it's okay, I guess. If you like that sort of thing", so I had to get some outside opinions. Not that it matters because it is there to stay. *laughz*

Jeni, that is a long way to go for some ink. You live on a military base and there isn't one soldier there that does ink? That's highly unusual. Or is it just that you got your own 'guy' and he is the only one that you want to work on you? My 'guy' died last year and this dude done some work on my sister that looked sweet, so we had a "Tat Party" at my house last night. He came over and brought all of his gear and I got this one, my oldest girl got a shooting star with someother stars around it(done in 9, yes 9 different colors. It looks kind of rough now as it was just done, but it is going to be awesome when it heals in.

Sue, "Cool" isn't that dated, it's one of my most used words. However, I tend to say "Far Out" and "Groovy" as well and my kids and their friends look at me like I'm a flippin' Martian or somehting. *laughz* I'll tell anyone regardless of age to NEVER get any ink where it can not be covered by normal clothing. My son has lost more job opportunities than you can believe simply because he has a scorpion on the back of his left hand. Did it himself at 17. Dumbass. I love him dearly, but I really don't like him sometimes. That was one of those times.

Thanks again for the compliments, it makes me feel better that some people can appreciate art in any form.

Billy ;o)

wrote
on Aug 17, 2008 11:50 PM

It's not so much that we'll only go to her, we just got to know her really well when we lived in Belgium so she's our go to gal at the moment.  We haven't really looked at any of the Italian shops yet, but I'm sure there are good artists here also.  Out of the 5 tatts I have only 2 of them are by the same guy (the one I wanted to apprentice with).  He & his wife were good folks. 

Sue, for what it's worth tatts really only hurt while you're getting them.  The skin is a bit tender for a couple of days afterwards, but the pain to get one is bearable. It really depends on where you're getting it.  Billy's shouldn't have been that bad. Childbirth is more painful, I guarantee it.  Other folks may beg to differ but that's my experience.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 18, 2008 11:05 AM

Actually, it didn't hurt at all. When he was "overshading" or blending the colors,it was burning a bit. Kind of like someone running a sharp fingernail over fresh sunburn to me.

Mine wasn't bad at all although EVERYONE that I know said that it was going to be very painful because it was it was directly on top of the shoulder blade. Then again, I take some major pain meds, so that may have been a factor. The skin isn't evne really that tender at all either. If something touches it, you can tell that you have some rawness, but as far as being unbearably painful, it wasn't.

This guy said that the most painful ones that he got are anywhere that the needles may touch the bone. If it does that, it smarts like hell so he said. He said that his MOST painful one was on the side of his head. The needle would hit the bone on every single stroke because there is no meat on the top and sides of your skull. Just a little skin. I don't think I'll be getting any facial or head tats. Just not my thing. *laughz*

Billy ;o)

wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 1:37 AM

Some people dig the head/face tatts, but I am not one of them!  Just not my thing.  My shoulder blade didn't hurt too bad (until I was an hour or so into it), but when it started going over my shoulder it was a bit more painful.  On my arm wasn't too bad either, and my legs were strange.  Some places didn't hurt at all, but move a couple of inches either way and WOOHOO!  Of course, the longer you have to sit the worse it gets.  I can only do a couple hours at a time before it gets too much.  It's the shading and going over an already raw spot that gets difficult over time, plus your initial endorphin rush fading away.

You're probably lucky (in a way) for the painkillers, although I'm sure you'd rather not need them in the first place!  Scratching a sunburn is a really good description of how it feels, actually.

Sorry if this puts anyone off getting a tattoo, but I suppose it's better to know what you're in for ahead of time.  It's worth the pain if there's something you really want to have done.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 5:09 AM

This one only took about an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish so that wasn't too bad. I had to stop him once to stand p and stretch my back out, but it had nothing to do with the tatoo. If I sit, stand, or lay inthe same position for very long, I start hurting and stiffening up, and not in a good way either. Wink

I woould recommend anyone that wants one to get one. The pain only lasts a few minutes, the tat lasts forever.

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 3,750
Kokopelli wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 7:55 AM

Hi Billy,

nice dragonfly! So you got it with you all the time. I'm not a tattoo fan, but if it's well done, it's ok. A head tattoo will be hard to cover, unless you want to run around with a hat all the time.Wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 3:47 PM

Thanks, it was one of the items on my "Bucket List" so I had to get it done before I kick out ya know. Stick out tongue I ain't got too many more years left so I figured that it's time. I want a couple more too, but all can be hidden with a short sleeved shirt and jeans. I like the tats, but I also likethe fact that I can cover them when I feel the need to. I do wear a straw hat or a baseball cap most o the time, but not to cover a tatoo, that I can assure you. Wink

Billy ;o)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,815
ForumModerator
Sheila H wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 5:50 PM

Well I have to say that I am not a fan of the whole tattoo thing. But to each their own. Hubby has an eagle/globe/anchor ( thanks to a drunken night in the USMC ). Anyway, his is on his upper arm so a t-shirt covers it.

However, our 17 yr old son things that sleeves are cool. Not so much mom says. Anyway, I have this fear that when he turns 18 away to the tat palor he goes. We have tried to explain that what looks good at 18 yrs old may not look great at 58 yrs old ( know what I mean ).

Having said all of that, if it was something on your list, then I am happy for you Billy. We all deserve to be happy and enjoy life.

Congrats!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 19, 2008 7:37 PM

Sheila, the whole USMC globe tat is a basic right of passage for any young Marine. Every Marine that I know has it(or another USMC emblem or motto) somewhere or another except for one, but he has no tats at all. So don't be too hard on him. He probably would have gotten it eventually without the alcohol, but that just happened to be a factor at this particular time. Big Smile 

I have all of my designs laid out so that I don't offend those who may not like them in certain situations, like going to church with my wife on Easter Sunday, family reunions, court appearances and the like. Wink

Tatoos are a very personal thing and EVERY tatoo has a story behind it. Think of them as picture book memoires using your body as the pages. Ask anyone with a tatoo about the events leading them up to getting the ink and you will hear some very cool and very personal stories. If they choose to tell you that is. Most people will talk openly about most of their tats, but there is the special one that has a very private meaning. Like mre and the dragonfly. I picked it for the first one for one very obvious reason, but there is more to it than that, but I don't like to talk about that part of it unless I am in very good and very comfortable place and am really cool with ALL of the people around me. I also ask that they not tell anyone else, and no one has as of yet. A public forum isn't the place to talk about that part of my reasoning. Stick out tongue

Thank you for not being judgemental even though you plainly state that you don't care for them. Most people are not that polite, hence the jeans and tees coverups. Big Smile If you don't care for something, that's fine, but they don't have to get mean about it, ya know.

Don't give your son too hard of a time. He'll only get more just to grind your gears. Just talk to him about tatoo placement and job opportunities and those meanies that just want to ridicule and all of that sort of thing. Also tell him about the pain and the care until they are healed to prevent infection and definitely give him a good horror story of someone who got an infection, almost lost their arm and the tatoo ended up looking like a blob over a sunken in scar or something similar. I mean these things can happen. They usually don't, but you just never know. The biggest thing is talking with him to begin with. Then when you actually open up a dialog with him, maybe suggest getting something small to start with to see if he can take the pain and care for it properly and all that. Who knows, maybe the first will be the last? Nowutimeen? Wink

Billy ;o)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 60
Keith L wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 1:09 AM

Hi Billy - great tattoo! I have two myself - both are art nouveau dsigns of irises, and both on my upper arms (I'm absolutely potty about iris flowers - just love them - we have loads in the garden, all about the house in the form of cross stitch pictures and ceramics, and plenty of books on the subject too!). I have to keep them covered up for work - although the larger one on my right arm does peek out a little from below my shirt sleeve Wink. My right arm is a large  iris panel design from the Gulbenkian Museum in Lisbon, whilst the one on my left arm is a copy of an iris brooch designed by Lalique - no big macho designs of anchors and love hearts for me, lol

I don't know what you guys use over in the States whilst your tattoo is healing, but here in the UK they recommend a brand product called Bepanthen (cream for babies' nappy rash - works a treat, as it reduces the swelling and kills the pain! Mine only hurt as I was wearing upper arm body armour unexpectedly at work just after I had it done - ouch!)

Hi Sheila - maybe the best way to discourage your sone is to take him to the tatt parlour yourself and tell him you're not leaving until you both get one done! Which one does he think would suit his Mom best ... and where should she have it? I've found there's nothing like parental approval to make something once considered illicit considered uncool!

Regards, Keith

Keith

wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 8:02 AM

I agree with both Billy & Keith's comments.  I will also add that if he's going to get one, have him do LOTS of research before he gets it about placement, what he wants, why he wants it, and have him go to different artists and get their take on it.  Getting it done properly by someone who clicks with his ideas will help insure that he's getting something that WILL look good years from now.  My hubby has several that he's had for upwards of 10 years and they still look as good as new.  We also take really good care of ours (sunscreen, lotion, etc) to make sure they stay nice.  If he's going to insist on getting one, at least make sure it's not just flash off the wall.  That's the type he'll end up regretting later.

Watch Miami Ink/LA Ink on TV with him if you can-it's a little cheesy but you'll get an idea of how good they can be when the pros do it.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 2,260
Billy Z wrote
on Aug 20, 2008 4:21 PM

Keith, I've seen your pic on the map site and I'll tell you, I did NOT figure you for the iris type. *laughz* I mean you look like the big tough cop type and I would think that you had several tats of manythigs, but not that. That's cool though, I'll bet that the museum piece is awesome, it sounds like it anyway.

I use an ointment called Neosporin. It is an antibactial and while it is an ointment, it's not as greasey feeling as most. It doesn'thave that Vasoline feel at all. It's much lighter and while it keeps it moist, it doesn't stain clothing or anything. Some people use a cream called Desiden(or somethng very similar) and it is for diaper rash as well. It has a mild numbing agent in it and I think that most use it because it kills the itching as it heals. I can imagaine that body armor on a fresh tat would be a bit annoying to say the least. *grinz*

I don't know if your idea would work or not, my 19 year old daughter got one right after I did. I made a similr suggestion and she picked out my design from all of the dragonfly pics that I have. It just happened to be the positive of my avatar that I use here. *laughz* What a coincedense eh? That line wouldn't work for me anyway as I am considered the "cool dad" out of my kids circles of friends. Getting fresh ink at 45 just hammered that idea home with them too. I had to email all of them pics the night right after I got it finished, they made me promise. *laughz* I took a pic with my phone and sent it to eachof the girls and let them forward it everywhere. This is the same pic and that's why it is so red, it is less than 30 minutes old in that one. The wings look funky right now that it is scabbed over and all, but that'll be gone in a day or two now. It is already loosening up on it's own.

Billy ;o)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS