Review of beads buttons and bijoux by Nathalie Delhaye

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 6:47 PM

Okay, I really try to be honest and represent the 'beadweaver' in my reviews.  So ....  Let me just say I USED to think there was no such thing as a bad beading book.  I got this book for $1 and was still disappointed.  Indifferent

This book features 58 original designs and out of those 58 there are 5 worth looking and those are similar to stuff you could find elsewhere easily.   Designs are things like buttons on a long string as a necklace, and other oddities.  And while I am all for using buttons and various things within a design, the designs in this book simply lack sophistication reminding me of elementary school projects.  All that is missing is the macaroni necklace.

Several of the pieces look very uncomfortable to wear and would catch on everything with odd bits of various things sticking out in random directions..  Many of the pictures display poor workmanship with a wire beaded necklace that has black wire showing between the beads in multiple places, etc.  The photography is well done.

There are a few ideas I got from this book, but in the end,  I intend to give it to some children because I do not think it would be used enough to be worth the space on my small beading book shelf and they may like making crazy button rings!

Sorry to be harsh .. but .. well you will just have to peruse the book!!

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 363
Ruth. wrote
on Aug 25, 2011 8:36 PM

I completely understand your frustration. I hate buying books without a preview or at least getting to look at them in person. I have found that my favorite books so far are the Master Class series from Lark Books, Creative Beading Series (although if you subscribe to Beadwork there are many repeats) if you're looking for some good beadweaving books. 

Shippensburg Pennsylvania - about 30 minutes from Gettysburg

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 348
Chibabies6 wrote
on Aug 30, 2011 4:40 AM

I agree with you on all points.. LOL    I just love the creative beading series.. I have one and am planning to get the others particularly the older ones from before I was getting the magazine.  :-) 

Michelle K.

Follow my As They Grow project..  weekly pictures of my 3 chihuahuas from birth to age 1.

http://chibeads.shutterfly.com/

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS