The First Beading Daily Bead Along!

This post has 106 Replies | 13 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 3:59 AM

Oh this project is really driven me nuts!  I laughed and cried in the wee hours of the day.  Laughed at my own stupidity.  Cried over the numerous failures.  No matter what I tried - using two beads instead of three, changed different strength of thread, the trial pieces just looked limp as though have not been fed for days.  

The most frustrating part was that half of the time have been spent trying to put the thread through the needle with ease - considering I was wearing reading glass PLUS using magnifying glass!  Haha, but I persevered and is now doing something which I believe no one else will do - simply because it sounds silly: I am weaving with fishing line without using needle.  I do not know the size of the nylon thread but it is tough enough to pick up the seed beads like a needle does and thin enough to go through the beads few times.

The funny part of it is that not only the weave stands upright like a soldier, it is as springy as a spring!  I can pull it like an accordion!

Peggy

http://pq-beaddreamer.blogspot.com

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
TashaMc wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 6:59 AM

Fishing line and no needles isn't crazy - some chemists have been using that technique (admittedly with bigger beads) for years:

http://thebeadedmolecules.blogspot.com/

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
Mary AnneF wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 10:55 AM

Project is coming along, getting the hang quickly and even added more thread!

I did decide to go with half the number of beads per round as suggested earlier, and I love the size. The Moonstone chips and pearl Delicas I chose look great together...  Smile

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
Mary AnneF wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 10:56 AM

Peggy, love the idea of pulling it like an accordion!! Just like a Slinky...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
DorisM19 wrote
on Sep 6, 2011 2:13 PM

RAW  without needles........ My favorite.   I'm on my way to gather up the stuff.  

Thanks.

Doris

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 6, 2011 7:20 PM

I just got my chips in the mail and started this evening. What fun, I love netting and I'm never sure what to do with gemstone chips so I rarely buy them. So far the first couple inches look good and are softly holding their shape. I'm using 11/0 beads too mainly because I didn't have anywhere near 30 gms of delicas in any color I cared to use for this. I've thought of some cool variations but they may wait until another necklace.....we'll see.  

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 6, 2011 7:23 PM

Thanks for starting this bead along. I am excited - it's one of my favorite stitches and I've been looking for something I hadn't done before (netted tube).

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Sep 7, 2011 12:35 PM

Just received the materials in the mail yesterday. Started on the netting last night - didn't get too far but am liking it sot far. Smile We'll see what tonight brings.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 143
quekpeggy wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 8:34 PM

Perdita2:

Fishing line and no needles isn't crazy - some chemists have been using that technique (admittedly with bigger beads) for years:

http://thebeadedmolecules.blogspot.com/

Haha, pardon my ignorant.  My excuse - relatively new to beadweaving.  (and I thought I have invented the method! Embarrassed)

Hey, thanks for the link.  It's really a fascinating eye-opener.  What a marriage of science and art!

Peggy

http://pq-beaddreamer.blogspot.com

We make a living by what we get;
we make a life by what we give.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Evalie wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 9:03 PM

Back from vacation...and just spotted this 'bead-a-long' thread ! Cool ! I don't have chips ( not a big fan ) , but I'm off to look at other alternatives to see if I can come up with something....LOVE the design...and love some of the work shown so far. What a nice idea this is !

Evalie

Massachusetts Coast

http://www.etsy.com/shop/4evadorn 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 30
Mary AnneF wrote
on Sep 7, 2011 9:15 PM

This project make the chips look completely different! I have not been a big fan either, but I am a convert in this type of application. My gem chip netting is about 6" long now, and I love how it looks!  Yes

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
TashaMc wrote
on Sep 8, 2011 2:20 AM

quekpeggy:

Haha, pardon my ignorant.  My excuse - relatively new to beadweaving.  (and I thought I have invented the method! Embarrassed)

Hey, thanks for the link.  It's really a fascinating eye-opener.  What a marriage of science and art!

No excuse needed, I'm always thinking that I've come up with a new technique (like using RAW to bezel cabs), only to find that loads of people have got there before me!

Confession time... I'm a science geek, and the Beaded Molecules blog is one of my favourites. I keep trying to convert their 3d sculptures into RAW instructions, but get distracted too easily

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 39
TashaMc wrote
on Sep 9, 2011 2:45 AM

I'm all finished - pic below! I know I'm not supposed to be done yet, but I have a good reason for my speed... I am clearing the decks before taking Laura McCabe's classes on Monday and Tuesday!!! I'm going to be learning the locket necklace and stargazer bracelet at the Bead Trail in Cheshire (North-West England), and I feel a bit like a kid in the run up to Christmas Big Smile

So, the netting: it's a choker-length piece with an extender chain clasp (in case someone borrows it who wants a longer length). Fluorite chips, purple hexes in size 11, and clear with olive lining size 11s up at the back of the neck. I used round fluorite chips instead of bead caps, because I didn't have any caps in stock!

Not Ranked
Posts 18
WeaveABead wrote
on Sep 9, 2011 8:05 AM

Jennifer- Do you think it's too late to join this bead along? I bet I could whip this up this weekend. OK, I just talked myself into it. Off to look at the pattern and pick out beads.

Karen Barber Firnberg

WeaveABead

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Love2Bead2 wrote
on Sep 9, 2011 9:11 AM

Looks Beautiful Perdita2!!!

Page 4 of 8 (107 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS